HD518 vs SHP9500 vs AD500X

BarisERY

So here is the deal, i want OPEN headphones that have great positional awarness, i listen to all kinds of music so i cant point at a specific thing i want like clear vocals or deep lows. im now leaning twords the SHP9500's because the reviews are just so good and everyone seems to think they are the best for the price range of up to 150$ but i want to hear your opinion as well. i want wide soundstage, good positional awarness, and some bass (im not a bass head)

SHP9500+vmoda boom mic comes for 110$

HD518+Modmic 4.0 comes for 145$

AD500X+Modmic 4.0 comes for 145$

2 minutes ago, BarisERY said:

So here is the deal, i want OPEN headphones that have great positional awarness, i listen to all kinds of music so i cant point at a specific thing i want like clear vocals or deep lows. im now leaning twords the SHP9500's because the reviews are just so good and everyone seems to think they are the best for the price range of up to 150$ but i want to hear your opinion as well. i want wide soundstage, good positional awarness, and some bass (im not a bass head)

SHP9500+vmoda boom mic comes for 110$

HD518+Modmic 4.0 comes for 145$

AD500X+Modmic 4.0 comes for 145$

For that price get 9500, no doubts. This thing will blow you away.

SHP9500's 

The 518 is meh. Not so punchy bass not great highs. Don't know about spacial awareness in video games but in music it's alright but nothing mind blowing. 

System: Thinkpad T460

• 3 weeks later...

SHP9500's keep going on sale for under $60 with free shipping on newegg and ebay. Newegg has them open box for $50 + free shipping plus ebay has the vmoda boompro for $30 + free shipping from reputable sellers. So for the SHP9500's + v-moda boompro you're looking at $80-$90. I can only be biased toward the 9500's because I own them and haven't tried the others but I don't think its possible to not be happy with the quality (audio and build) and comfort you get for the price. The vmoda mic is a no brainer, it sounds so much better than the modmic and costs $20 less but I guess if its just for voice chat in games quality isn't that big a deal. I play mainly first person shooters with the 9500's (counter strike, overwatch, dirty bomb, rainbow 6 siege) and never have had a problem with positional audio, I can always tell which way the sounds are coming from. Overall they have a pretty flat sound profile and are good for any genera of music, everything is crystal clear, nothing harsh, bass feels slightly lacking but sounds super accurate. If you do go with the 9500's I'd highly recommend changing the earpads to the $20 brainwavz HM5 pads which will fix all of the headphones shortcomings: greatly improved comfort, deeper ear holes, no soaking up sweat, improved bass feel, slightly punchier bass, much improved sub bass with better presence.

On a side note I would recommend the Audio Technica AT2020 usb (the older version without the switches) in place of the antlion modmic. You can find them used at music stores/websites (musicans friend, guitar center) for around the same price $50-$60 for a full condenser professional microphone with mount, stand, and cable. Professional sound and no extra cables weighing down your headphones.

Shameless promotion for the earpad mod, sorry :/:

12 hours ago, aaaveritt said:

SHP9500's keep going on sale for under $60 with free shipping on newegg and ebay. Newegg has them open box for $50 + free shipping plus ebay has the vmoda boompro for $30 + free shipping from reputable sellers. So for the SHP9500's + v-moda boompro you're looking at $80-$90. I can only be biased toward the 9500's because I own them and haven't tried the others but I don't think its possible to not be happy with the quality (audio and build) and comfort you get for the price. The vmoda mic is a no brainer, it sounds so much better than the modmic and costs $20 less but I guess if its just for voice chat in games quality isn't that big a deal. I play mainly first person shooters with the 9500's (counter strike, overwatch, dirty bomb, rainbow 6 siege) and never have had a problem with positional audio, I can always tell which way the sounds are coming from. Overall they have a pretty flat sound profile and are good for any genera of music, everything is crystal clear, nothing harsh, bass feels slightly lacking but sounds super accurate. If you do go with the 9500's I'd highly recommend changing the earpads to the $20 brainwavz HM5 pads which will fix all of the headphones shortcomings: greatly improved comfort, deeper ear holes, no soaking up sweat, improved bass feel, slightly punchier bass, much improved sub bass with better presence.

On a side note I would recommend the Audio Technica AT2020 usb (the older version without the switches) in place of the antlion modmic. You can find them used at music stores/websites (musicans friend, guitar center) for around the same price $50-$60 for a full condenser professional microphone with mount, stand, and cable. Professional sound and no extra cables weighing down your headphones.

Shameless promotion for the earpad mod, sorry :/:

Thanks for the advice and very well informative post its been 4-5 days since i got my 9500's and im in love with them its my first openback headphones and the sound stage took me by suprise and the vocals sound so good, i will look into the mod you suggested thanks alot for it :)