HELP - unRAID NAS Server build

I'm trying to build a unRAID NAS Server for video import, PLEX and VM's.

Hardware i need help with:
- Case (Inter-Tech IPC 4U-4408 4HE)

- PSU (Corsair HX750i (750w 80 Plus® Platinum))

- SSD for cash (Samsung 750 EVO SSD - 250GB)

Can this hardware match the hardware i already have?

Can i use the 2x 1gb port for 2 internet connections? (i have an ADSL and an Coax connection to be save)

Can you recommend a better solution for this setup?

Hardware i have:
- 2x CPU Intel® Xeon X5660

- 12x 4GB DDR3 ECC 10600

- Motherboard Intel S5520HC

- 4x WD NAS Pro Red 5TB WD5001FFWX (in raid 1)

I'm not a server / workstation expert, but to me these components seem pretty good; the only thing I have to contest is the SSD, because although the 850 EVO is the best performance for the price, it's not the best performer out there and Samsung SSD (and non-enterprise / NAS ones for that matter) are not the best for high cycles of rewriting. I would replace that with a Kingston V or KC or some other Enterprise SSD.

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

1 minute ago, LionSpeck said:

I'm not a server / workstation expert, but to me these components seem pretty good; the only thing I have to contest is the SSD, because although the 850 EVO is the best performance for the price, it's not the best performer out there and Samsung SSD (and non-enterprise / NAS ones for that matter) are not the best for high cycles of rewriting. I would replace that with a Kingston V or KC or some other Enterprise SSD.

its for cash so the speed of the rig i overall better, will a faster SSD over SATA600 be better then?

I'm not criticizing your SSD choice for speed, but for relyability; enterprise SSDs (as HDDs) are rated (and covered by warranty) for a lot more of rewriting cycles to the solid state cells, therefore they'll last longer without needing for over provisioning and / or errors. This is because I am expecting by a NAS cache to be written during the day, flushed at night and all over again every day, so it gets a ton of rewriting.

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

1 hour ago, iHoller said:

Can i use the 2x 1gb port for 2 internet connections? (i have an ADSL and an Coax connection to be save)

Not easily(you can if you pass the networks to a vm and have fun networking)

Id buy a router to do that for you.

Also it won't just make your connection 2s the speed.

1 hour ago, LionSpeck said:

I'm not criticizing your SSD choice for speed, but for relyability; enterprise SSDs (as HDDs) are rated (and covered by warranty) for a lot more of rewriting cycles to the solid state cells, therefore they'll last longer without needing for over provisioning and / or errors. This is because I am expecting by a NAS cache to be written during the day, flushed at night and all over again every day, so it gets a ton of rewriting.

You can write a lot of data to a ssd before it goes,  Its going to last over 5 years.

SSD for cash (Samsung 750 EVO SSD - 250GB)

No real reason to do this.

Id personally just use a raid 5.

4x WD NAS Pro Red 5TB WD5001FFWX (in raid 1)

Don't use raid 1, you get the capicity of one drive, Id run raid 5, raid 10 is also a good option.

Id personally not use unraid, and use something like proxmox. Its free and has more functionality.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id personally just use a raid 5.

Don't use raid 1, you get the capicity of one drive, Id run raid 5, raid 10 is also a good option.

Then i need a Raid controller for at least 4 drives. What is the cost of that? and what controller is best for the price?

4 minutes ago, iHoller said:

Then i need a Raid controller for at least 4 drives. What is the cost of that? and what controller is best for the price?

You can use something like ZFS on linux so you don't need a raid controller. If you want a cheap raid card look at a dell h700.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can use something like ZFS on linux so you don't need a raid controller. If you want a cheap raid card look at a dell h700.

ZFS is that supported on unRAID?
Need at least 4 disks spaces for my raid card.

ZFS is that supported on unRAID?
Need at least 4 disks spaces for my raid card.

Do you need unraid?

If you use unraid they have there own raid thing.

That raid card has 8 ports with the ability to use expanders

On 6 September 2016 at 10:07 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you use unraid they have there own raid thing.

didn't know that, but after some googling, its clear that unRAID is smart ;)

If you're putting VMs on this box that do more than say serve mail.. you will want to dedicate a partition or entire SSD for VMs. Using the SSDs only as cache just helps write speeds not read. unRaid is a poor choice for VMs in my opinion. I'd either go with Server 20XX (2012/2016) with storage spaces and hyper-V or the classic FreeNAS FreeNAS has vbox currently so if you need a windows virtual box it can handle it.

44 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

If you're putting VMs on this box that do more than say serve mail.. you will want to dedicate a partition or entire SSD for VMs. Using the SSDs only as cache just helps write speeds not read. unRaid is a poor choice for VMs in my opinion. I'd either go with Server 20XX (2012/2016) with storage spaces and hyper-V or the classic FreeNAS FreeNAS has vbox currently so if you need a windows virtual box it can handle it.

My 1th priority was "vSphere" but it is costly :(