i5 4690k vs. Xeon e3-1231v3

Hey all, done some of my own little research of my own and had taken some advice some of you gave me in my last post.

As the title says, I am looking between an i5 4690k and a Xeon e3-1231v3.

Now, I have seen multiple views points good and bad from both sides with OCing, gaming, and such.

Personally my rig (all listed below) is just for gaming, writing documents and code for school, and maybe a little bit of music production here and there but not too much.(if that makes any sense)

Now with the GPU I have now (listed below) I will be upgrading to a 1060 or a 1070 in the future. That being said I have read on some other forums that the i5 could bottleneck the GPU is some instances like in GTA V.

I have found a 4690k online second-hand for about $210. With that said, i have found xeon for about $10 more.

ALSO: I'm kinda looking at a bit of "future proof" basically to where i don't have to upgrade in 2 years time or whatever the case may be.

All that being said, if anyone could clear this up for me and tell me what would be best for my situation, that would be GREAT.

MY RIG:

CPU: Intel G3258 Anniversary Edition @ 3.2GHz

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

RAM: 8GB DDR3

MOBO: Asus H81M-D PLUS MicroATX LGA 1500

GPU: EVGA GTX GeForce 950 SC

PSU: EVGA 430W (80 Bronze)

Storage: 1TB HDD

I use the xeon in my daily driver, pretty happy with it. I'd take the extra threads over oc

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

The Xeon 1231 v3 is effectively an i7 without the iGPU and you cannot overclock the i5 4690K with that motherboard so I'd opt for the Xeon. If you're upgrading to a GTX 1070, it won't bottleneck it. But please change the PSU as well if you're going to.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

5 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

The Xeon 1231 v3 is effectively an i7 without the iGPU and you cannot overclock the i5 4690K with that motherboard so I'd opt for the Xeon. If you're upgrading to a GTX 1070, it won't bottleneck it. But please change the PSU as well if you're going to.

Even if I were to get the i5 for $190 lets say. Would the xeon still be the better buy?

4 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

The necking on the 1070 is a bit iffy, it starts to seriously depend on the game itself and the resolution you're playing at.

With the 1070 and 1080 i usually recommend looking towards 1440p displays when you're looking for a new one, because the gpu will shine at that res, and a quality 1080p display isnt much cheaper than a quality 1440p display anyways...

3 minutes ago, grillechese said:

Even if I were to get the i5 for $190 lets say. Would the xeon still be the better buy?

IMO a big downer about the 4690k is that as you said, its a 'second hand' chip. You dont know what the chip has been trough, with locked chips its not a very big worry, but for all you know that chip has been on 1.5 volts for most of its life before it came in your hands.

EDIT: the toast is burnt, appareantly the forum likes double toasted toast, i dont.

Just now, manikyath said:

IMO a big downer about the 4690k is that as you said, its a 'second hand' chip. You dont know what the chip has been trough, with locked chips its not a very big worry, but for all you know that chip has been on 1.5 volts for most of its life before it came in your hands.

True, that's why i asked about the use and everything before hand.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

Also do you think a e3-1230 would be okay to get? or just stick with a e3-1231?

1 minute ago, grillechese said:

In my eyes, yes. $30 more for i7 performance would still make me choose the Xeon. Also, the i5 4690K is second-hand as well (unlikely to be problematic but something to think about).

The necking on the 1070 is a bit iffy, it starts to seriously depend on the game itself and the resolution you're playing at.

With the 1070 and 1080 i usually recommend looking towards 1440p displays when you're looking for a new one, because the gpu will shine at that res, and a quality 1080p display isnt much cheaper than a quality 1440p display anyways...

You bring a valid point but there will be some people who may be playing 1080p 144Hz instead 1440p 60Hz, in which a GTX 1070/GTX 1080 is perfectly justifiable in those scenarios and a i7 will be needed to reduce any form of bottlenecking.

Yes, it does depend on the game. In GTA V, for instance, the difference between an i5 and i7 when paired with a GTX 980Ti/Titan X/GTX 1070/GTX 1080 can be upwards of 20FPS at 1080p. But the i7/Xeon delivers a level of stability (less stuttering, more stable frametimes and framerates) that the i5 cannot deliver.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

True, that's why i asked about the use and everything before hand.

The issue is if you dont know the person, he can tell you what he wants and you have no idea if he's bluffing or speaking truth.

The issue is if you dont know the person, he can tell you what he wants and you have no idea if he's bluffing or speaking truth.

valid point, same way with ebay tho :P 

valid point, same way with ebay tho :P 

Thats why i buy new, sealed box, from a retailer i trust, preferably at their physical store. (I work for fedex, i dislike shipping for good reason :P)

Thats why i buy new, sealed box, from a retailer i trust, preferably at their physical store. (I work for fedex, i dislike shipping for good reason :P)

True.

But another point i wanted to ask, don't know if you saw it.

Would a e3-1230v3 be out of the question since it's only .1MHz slower than the e3-1231v3?

5 minutes ago, grillechese said:

True.

But another point i wanted to ask, don't know if you saw it.

Would a e3-1230v3 be out of the question since it's only .1MHz slower than the e3-1231v3?

I cant find a single difference between them... The only thing i could say is that *maybe* its haswell & haswell refresh (with the faster one being refresh)