Help me identify this cable

juretrn

Any idea what is this cable called?

IMAG026888.jpg

I reckon it's for home alarm devices.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Can you show a plug on one of the ends?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Looks like a multiconductor cable, 6 isolated cables and a shielding, this one is 7 cables, should work the same:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Conductor-Trailer-Wire-6-12-Gauge-1-10-Gauge-Wires-per-foot-max-100-/272351940069

The exposed wires in the shielding could be used as another conductor, so they are 7 in total.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

looks like generic telephone wire , isdn maybe 

cable is a cable , it will work w/ whatever you need it for , just make shure if you want to extend it , match the wire colors on the other end or mark em w/ colored tape to not make a smoke dispenser

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Well, I would disagree with @Space Reptile, I know how most telecom cables look like... I found several variants of alarm device cables on Google, but none exactly as this (it's almost definitely for alarm devices). 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

1 hour ago, juretrn said:

Any idea what is this cable called?

I reckon it's for home alarm devices.

That looks very much like shielded security cabling for cameras or other sorts. 

-Moved to Hobby Electronics- 

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Can you show a plug on one of the ends?

No plugs, the wiring is done all open-ended so that we COULD implement cameras etc if we ever wanted.

Spoiler

It's generic cable with multiple conductors and some shielding to make it less sensible to interference (from fluorescent lights and other crap). 

Here's about 20.000 of them, pick number of conductors, stranded or solid core, awg gauge of each conductor, shielded or not, type of exterior jacket (flame retardant, low smoke, whatever) : http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/cables-wires/multiple-conductor-cables/1638739 (or just filter by usage, right most selection)

This other store (helps if you're in Europe mostly) has about 10 000 of them in several categories :  http://uk.farnell.com/unscreened-multicore-cable , http://uk.farnell.com/screened-multicore-cable , http://uk.farnell.com/screened-multipair-cable and http://uk.farnell.com/unscreened-multipair-cable

Like mariushm said, Its shielded, probably to protect it either from interference, or possibly for outdoor use. The conductors look fairly thick, so I'd imagine that cable is designed to take some amps. Also, is there any kind of print or text on the jacket? That might help you find out the type of cable or what its used for.

5 hours ago, Skullmeat said:

Like mariushm said, Its shielded, probably to protect it either from interference, or possibly for outdoor use. The conductors look fairly thick, so I'd imagine that cable is designed to take some amps. Also, is there any kind of print or text on the jacket? That might help you find out the type of cable or what its used for.

No ,there are no prints, the jacket is completely blank, white.

Spoiler

18/2 22/4 Bundled shielded cable with ground.

At least that is my rough guess on the gauge of the wire... the large red and black are likely 18 (or 16) gauge for powering the device, and the four smaller (guessing 20 or 22) are for data/signal, then foil shielded with a braided ground in a pvc jacket.

The smaller wires are solid, correct?

On 4. 9. 2016 at 5:34 AM, Scheer said:

18/2 22/4 Bundled shielded cable with ground.

At least that is my rough guess on the gauge of the wire... the large red and black are likely 18 (or 16) gauge for powering the device, and the four smaller (guessing 20 or 22) are for data/signal, then foil shielded with a braided ground in a pvc jacket.

The smaller wires are solid, correct?

Correct.

Spoiler

On 8/31/2016 at 7:30 PM, W-L said:

That looks very much like shielded security cabling for cameras or other sorts. 

-Moved to Hobby Electronics- 

most cameras run off of cat5e now a days