[RAM] - How should I go about doing this?

Xiauj

Hey guys :) So whilst I'm saving up for a PC Upgrade, I thought I'd better ask you guys "how to approach this (The RAM)" because, in my PC that I'm using right now and have had for 3 Years now (Long time eh? :P) kinda needs an upgrade, I realized that I didn't choose the components very wisely back then (Wish I went with an Intel CPU) and I just gotta do something and well, if it's possible to upgrade then the RAM is one of those things, I'll explain later on.

Funny thing is, however, I know who made the RAM as shown in the picture below but..

https://gyazo.com/db2b0dca5e3e04728365cacbee56fb7e

.............I want to (If possible) change to another manufacturers' RAM type if that makes sense. Like would 4x8GB of I dunno, Corsair/Kingston/Whomever's RAM work..?

I just don't want the system to go messed up in any way when upgrading it. How difficult is the process? Like I hope I don't have to reinstall Windows 7 from scratch or anything like that.

Also, I want to upgrade to 32GB for Gaming and perhaps 3D-Model/Video/Photo Rendering/Editing if possible. Does anyone know if my CPU can handle DDR4 RAM? The CPU is an AMD FX 8350 sitting on a Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 mATX USB 3.0 motherboard.

I would be changing that amongst other things like my GPU, Case, PSU, CPU-Cooler and possibly the storage.

Thanks

~Xiauj ^_^

Edited by Xiauj

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

On product page it says this :

Memory Controller

Memory controller Built-in
Memory type DDR3-1866
Channels Dual Channel
Supports ECC Yes
Maximum bandwidth 29,866.66 MB/s

So no it doesnt support DDR4 RAM :) Neither does the MOBO.

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

360mm+180mm rad and 10 fans | Swiftech D5 mcp655-B

2 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Hey guys :) So whilst I'm saving up for a PC Upgrade, I thought I'd better ask you guys "how to approach this (The RAM)" because, in my PC that I'm using right now and have had for 3 Years now (Long time eh? :P) kinda needs an upgrade, I realized that I didn't choose the components very wisely back then (Wish I went with an Intel CPU) and I just gotta do something and well, if it's possible to upgrade then the RAM is one of those things, I'll explain later on.

Funny thing is, however, I know who made the RAM as shown in the picture below but..

https://gyazo.com/db2b0dca5e3e04728365cacbee56fb7e

.............I want to (If possible) change to another manufacturers' RAM type if that makes sense. Like would 4x8GB of I dunno, Corsair/Kingston/Whomever's RAM work..?

I just don't want the system to go messed up in any way when upgrading it. How difficult is the process? Like I hope I don't have to reinstall Windows 7 from scratch or anything like that.

Also, I want to upgrade to 32GB for Gaming and perhaps 3D-Model/Video/Photo Rendering/Editing if possible. Does anyone know if my CPU can handle DDR4 RAM? The CPU is an AMD FX 8350 sitting on a Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 mATX USB 3.0 motherboard.

I would be changing that amongst other things like my GPU, Case, PSU, CPU-Cooler and possibly the storage.

Thanks

~Xiauj ^_^

Neither your board nor cpu support ddr4. 

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

Just now, Paytend01 said:

~snip~

Just now, BiscuitMassacre said:

~snip~

~snip~

Crap. :( That really sucks :/

Would DDR3 be alright for 1080/1440p/4K Gaming or not really? As well as Model Rendering & Video/Photo Editing?

You can change the ram, but just letting you know that 32GB isn't necesary, and I don't think it will make a dif. Have you ever even used all of your current memory?

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

Just now, Paytend01 said:

~snip~

~snip~

~snip~

Would DDR3 be alright for 1080/1440p/4K Gaming or not really? As well as Model Rendering & Video/Photo Editing?

You can change the ram, but just letting you know that 32GB isn't necesary, and I don't think it will make a dif. Have you ever even used all of your current memory?

Um, how do I check that?

I'm not sure.

Just now, Xiauj said:

Yes, DDR3 is fine. 

1 minute ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

Um, how do I check that?

I'm not sure.

Um, how do I check that?

I'm not sure.

Just now, Xiauj said:

Um, how do I check that?

I'm not sure.

Open task manager and if your ram ever hits 100%, you know it. It almost not affect games at all, and it can improve video editing, but i don't recommend.

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

Just now, Trevor87 said:

What OS are you using 32 or 64 and also what CPU do you have ?

He said 8350

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

Just now, Trevor87 said:

What OS are you using 32 or 64 and also what CPU do you have ?

9 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

The CPU is an AMD FX 8350 sitting on a Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 mATX USB 3.0 motherboard.

I'm using Windows 7 64 Bit

3 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

Open task manager and if your ram ever hits 100%, you know it. It almost not affect games at all, and it can improve video editing, but i don't recommend.

Normally when I'm just web browsing or playing one game at 1080p, CPU Usage when just web browsing is about 0%-25% Maximum and RAM Usage is currently at 40% Ish.

When I'm playing a game and have Chrome open in the background I would have around 60% RAM Usage and for the CPU, I think that would be around 30%-50% ish, not sure on that CPU one though.

@BiscuitMassacre Also, to add onto my previous comment, I also do a bit of Modded Minecraft as only one of many games which I've been playing for quite a while and that can be quite RAM intensive sometimes, based on the amounts of mods and dedicated RAM.

Cool I would hold on the upgrades and wait an till the new AMD range comes out and compare the two because there is a good chance your CPU will bottle neck your new graphics card.  

Then, the simple answer is you don't need 32GB. Just keep track of that, and if you don't like the results, go for it. I don't understand the fad of more than 8GB. unless you video edit or just love having 8000 chrome tabs, more than 8 is just bragging rights imo.

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

2 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

@BiscuitMassacre Also, to add onto my previous comment, I also do a bit of Modded Minecraft as only one of many games which I've been playing for quite a while and that can be quite RAM intensive sometimes, based on the amounts of mods and dedicated RAM.

I do know that does take a lot, but hopefully not more than 6GB.

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

3 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Just get 16

Just now, Trevor87 said:

wait an till the new AMD range comes out

Which is...? o.O They have just released the RX 480/470/460 if that's what you are referring to.

If I were to get say a RX 480, I dunno if my would PSU would handle the system.

That's why I also mentioned that I would need to upgrade the following:

GPU, Case, PSU, CPU-Cooler and possibly the storage.

2 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

Then, the simple answer is you don't need 32GB. Just keep track of that, and if you don't like the results, go for it. I don't understand the fad of more than 8GB. unless you video edit or just love having 8000 chrome tabs, more than 8 is just bragging rights imo.

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Just get 16

2 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

I do know that does take a lot, but hopefully not more than 6GB.

Ok fair enough.

I don't actually know how to recognize what hardware gets used the most like say for 3D Model Rendering, I dunno which components get used the most if that makes sense. It's either the CPU/GPU that does that. Only reason I said 32GB is just for a bit of headroom I guess.

I guess I'll try and upgrade the following then:

GPU, Case, PSU, CPU-Cooler and possibly the storage.

Or should I get a new Intel rig entirely? I have a rough idea as to what specs I'd want, it would be more expensive by a little bit but a lot better for Gaming.

Spoiler

If I went ahead and did that, it would be something like this:

Skylake-CPU-6600k

GTX 1080 or 1070 (Would prefer 1080 if possible)

16GB/32GB RAM (Because of Rendering/Editing as well as RAM based Games) (NOT Necessary but I probably will go ahead with 16GB)

mATX Motherboard

650W/750W PSU

AIR-Cooling (No... not liquid, please, I don't like it. Sorry to whose have liquid cooling..)

500GB SSD for the OS and other applications

2TB HDD for games

2TB HDD for project files etc...