GeForce GTX 1070 vs 1080

I had a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 in my ~$1200 build, along with a Core i7 -6700K processor. I want to do gaming and video editing (just Premiere -- not crazy After Effects or anything) -- the former perhaps a touch more than the latter. Some people elsewhere suggested I go with Core i5-6600K (and a cheaper motherboard), and instead get a Zotac GeForce GTX 1080. Could you please give me your opinion? I want to hear some more opinions before making a choice. Please forgive me, but I'm a total noob -- never build a PC before.

This is my build, if that helps: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/bsYLsJ

Keep the i7 6700K and GTX 1070.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I would go with the i7 and 1070. The 1070 already performs great, the 1080 is like a 25% improvement for 50% more cost.

Also the extra 4 threads are really nice to have on the CPU, just for multitasking even.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

8 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

A i5 6600k @4.5GHz bottlenecks at 1080p a GTX 1070 and a GTX 1080 in games such as GTA 5 by 10-15%

No CPU in the world is not bottlenecked in GTA V cos of the long draw distances and detail.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Gaming alone I would say i5 + 1080. With rendering however, it may be more beneficial to stay with the i7+1070.

keep the 6700k; video editing benefits from the extra threads, and the 6700k+1070 combo is enough for ultra 1440p gaming.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

5 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

No CPU in the world is not bottlenecked in GTA V cos of the long draw distances and detail.

IIRC A i7 does not bottleneck a GTX 1070 at 1080p in GTA 5.

Just now, keNNySOC said:

IIRC A i7 does not bottleneck a GTX 1070 at 1080p in GTA 5.

Hard to say, since long draw distances and high detail are all IPC related and not multithreaded bottlenecks.

4 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Hard to say, since long draw distances and high detail are all IPC related and not multithreaded bottlenecks.

As you can see how the i7 benefits

@keNNySOC

Hard to say since both use completely different scenery and scenarios.  Long draw distance with no detail isn't taxing.

On 8/28/2016 at 0:27 AM, herman mcpootis said:

keep the 6700k; video editing benefits from the extra threads, and the 6700k+1070 combo is enough for ultra 1440p gaming.

Damn dawg, you made it onto Luke's video. o.O

I kept the 6700k. Thanks for your help. :)