Anyone feel like there's a hefty misrepresentation of product quality on reviews/user generated replies these days?

What do you have to say ? Post Your thoughts & comments down below..

#Rep'Lies'

average-ratings-four-five-stars.png

For much of the time, we rely on the good oll comment section & visual reviews(Youtube) & written reviews of a hardware product for our research purpose before we commit to buying a product,  when you reserve your research criteria to  "certain specifics" (first/best rated comment/popular reviewer/brand badge/site popularity & ranking) it seems to be always on the plus side mostly when it comes to certain popular companies (not naming any here & i'm not talking about a specific hardware) , Now i'm not talking about specifics , i mean as if a brand(new or old) product or a new hardware like a PC case is being pushed out as favorable by the majority (which in real world performance fails to reach that level of standard on what you saw or heard)

When you broaden your research circle you get a lot more info that can be rather negative to what you've heard from the products earlier from the mainstream sometimes

(example image of )

Reviews.png

5 star replies example

amazon-5-star-reviews.jpgreview.JPG

feel as if the review reply sections are teeming with false reassurance of the product by seemingly "random" commenters from the internet , i feel like there's a legit foul play taking place when it comes to these areas , could be fixed review by an industry affiliate or company fed/payed reviewers , but if they even get a hold of 30-40%(rough estimate) of the entire reply as in representation of the product , it tends to mislead genuine buyers/researchers

Samsung was caught up in a similar predicament last year or so when they hired people to write positive reviews for their phones who were being payed who had no experiences with the product , common sense will tell yo it's happening loosely, but these days the overall competition is tight & sellers would take any measures to sell their products & i feel as if most of the reviews which supposed to seem genuine might not be genuine at all . don't take it wrong , there are genuine people who are writing things that are often truthful & less exaggerated on a neutral tone , if huge companies take measure like these , pretty sure most of the companies who have nothing to loose use the reviews for basic marketing purposes , What do you think ?

Reply Rules:

Please don't discuss based on a specific brand as an example excessively on the discussions,

Please don't be biased on a certain individual brand

don't feed the trolls & or the fanboys on their shoulders!

Details separate people.

35 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

-snip-

It's been like this for a while now. Never take reviews on retailer sites too seriously. If there's anything wrong with the product you're looking at buying, official and reputable sites would have reported it.

Edited by GoodBytes
Shrunked massive quote

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

Not gunna lie thats pretty funny xD

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

In fairness, both Amazon and Newegg allow you to sort for "verified purchases". You just can't take the stupid crap aggregation at face value.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

my general means of digging around custommer reviews goes the following way:

- find the 5 star comments, see why they praise the product so. (ignoring the ones with useless garbage)

- find the 4 star ones: what was wrong with their product that lost it one star.

- find the bad ones: who was really dissatisfied and why.

based on those 3 factors, you usually get a fairly good representation of the product.

- the 5 star commenters are the ones who wholy love the product and tell you all its upsides

- the 4 star ones will point out tiny flaws, or shortcomings that do not completely "kill" the product.

- the bad ones are either self-entitled idiots, or had a seriously bad experience worth reading.

example out of reviews about replacedirect.be, a local webstore for replacement parts for laptops and vareous othter devices: (one of the rare moments you'll see me name and shame, you'll see why in a bit)

- 90% 5 star reviews

- all 5 star reviews say "product arrived and works 5/5"

- 4 star reviews point out the flaws, like i mentioned

- literally every single baddie was this, slightly paraphrased:

i ordered X on replacedirect, and it arrived broken/was the wrong part/is not what is advertised. custommer support is rude and unhelpful, every reply email comes from a seemingly different employee, after the fifth reply you realise it's just a random footer stuck below their message, which comes from india for all you know.

i'll never purchase anything from replacedirect again for the following reasons: -all that went wrong-

i was one of those people where it went wrong, and to be honest... there's a reason every negative comment was the same: if it goes wrong, it goes wrong in the same way every darn time.

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

In fairness, both Amazon and Newegg allow you to sort for "verified purchases". You just can't take the stupid crap aggregation at face value.

Yeah I would agree. That's why I really don't take the customer's reviews too seriously, as most of the time they're biased and/or they didn't thoroughly test the product in question. I'm right now in the process of writing a review for the Corsair 900D, as I've owned it for over six months and I've had a good time playing around with it and testing it out for myself. I have given myself an extensive amount of time to do so. It's almost finished. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RrDdg6B8LFHhTxZQnu4h-O1ERS1dY9L-_FcUQuCYwM0/edit?usp=sharing

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

1 minute ago, JurunceNK said:

Yeah I would agree. That's why I really don't take the customer's reviews too seriously, as most of the time they're biased and/or they didn't thoroughly test the product in question. I'm right now in the process of writing a review for the Corsair 900D, as I've owned it for over six months and I've had a good time playing around with it and testing it out for myself. I have given myself an extensive amount of time to do so. It's almost finished. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RrDdg6B8LFHhTxZQnu4h-O1ERS1dY9L-_FcUQuCYwM0/edit?usp=sharing

You should throw that in the forums as well... So many people recommend the 900D without ever having used it and man I wouldn't buy it for half the price...

Also this is just me, but modern motherboards rarely have enough usb 2.0 headers to allow you to actually plug in all 4 front ones AND a pump and a wireless card... I'm actually glad in this way my case doesn't have any (because then I would HAVE to plug it in you know... and then I wouldn't be able to use something else... Or would need to buy a 3.0 to 2.0 header adapter...)

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

You should throw that in the forums as well... So many people recommend the 900D without ever having used it and man I wouldn't buy it for half the price...

Also this is just me, but modern motherboards rarely have enough usb 2.0 headers to allow you to actually plug in all 4 front ones AND a pump and a wireless card... I'm actually glad in this way my case doesn't have any (because then I would HAVE to plug it in you know... and then I wouldn't be able to use something else... Or would need to buy a 3.0 to 2.0 header adapter...)

Thanks. I have to refine it, finish it up, and get some pictures of it. What's your advice on it?

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Just now, JurunceNK said:

Thanks. I have to refine it, finish it up, and get some pictures of it. What's your advice on it?

Seems good to me. You might want pictures, and commenting on your impression of hardware dwarfism in the case would be good (if or if not you think it is an issue.)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

7 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Seems good to me. You might want pictures, and commenting on your impression of hardware dwarfism in the case would be good (if or if not you think it is an issue.)

I have no issue covering hardware dwarfism. Hell I even said it for what it is.

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

There are two problems that are making reviews a bit problematic and its why gamergate happened.

1) The primary sources of reviews, the review sites we read and "trust" are mostly not trustworthy. They have a basic conflict of interest driven by needing free gear to drive content for their site and they can't bite the hand that feeds them. Companies can always find someone else so typically reviews are all positive. Its not even as bad as just being directly paid and sponsored without declaration (which also happens, Linus has done that a few times) which is illegal but very common but just a simple business conflict of interest. The company might also be sponsoring adverts on your site and you need those to survive.

Sometimes its as simple as reviewers not wanting to bash on a product that isn't final, this happens a lot with games. If you come across a bug and you are on pre release code you report it to the devs who assure you it will be fixed for release do you put it in the review (and be wrong on release day) or not (and its still there in the game). Its a bad situation so typically reviewers don't antagonise pre-emptively, which is why launch day reviews are usually missing important technical problems and those videos come later if the problem is bad enough. So waiting for the day 1 reviews isn't as good a strategy as many think it is.

The professional reviews we read aren't truthful for a variety of fundamental reasons and its the norm.

2) Amateur reviewers don't know what they are doing. They either have nothing to compare it to (most likely) but also they tend to review it too early in the purchase and rarely update the review unless something goes really badly wrong. A lot of reviewers have no idea what they are writing and so they just talk about fast shipping and being well wrapped but not about the product, so the grand majority of amateur reviews are kind of awful and don't get you anywhere. It isn't their fault, they don't have much to compare it with so if it works then they are happy but it might very well be the worst example in the marketplace and on Amazon that might make it 4.1 stars instead of 4.2 for the best.

Amateur reviews are also quite often paid for, I have been offered money multiple times to adjust reviews and get the product cheaper/free if only I could say a nice thing about it. I always insist that my initial issue still be in the review and also the subsequent review had been paid for (as is legally required) and hence I have never actually ended up adjusting it but I bet a lot of others have. Worse than that you have companies that do reviews for products to get them going on places like Amazon and so quite a large chunk of initial product reviews could very well just be fake. On other less ideal marketplaces you may even find the comments moderated to remove negative comments entirely.

So amateur reviews are usually garbage and when they aren't they are often fake or sponsored in some way and you can't trust the place publishing the comments as they choose what is on there. That makes good reviews with important details the minority overall.

We have never had it as bad for getting quality reviews as we do today. The move from print to the internet for reviews has been extremely problematic, with the customers now not funding the site at all and all the money coming from advertisers the model has changed and the review sites are basically just an extension of the marketing of the companies that make the products, only a handful of sites don't appear to do this regularly in one form or another (and I'll laugh if you think LTT is one of them because they got warned by the Canadian advertising standards agency just over a year ago). Amateurs are well amateurs and they are just as corruptible in different ways but usually don't know what to say.

Want to know where to find quality/no bs reviews? LinusTechTips!!! (Not a sponsor) !!!

"Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." John F. Kennedy

"Daddy is going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." Linus Sebastian

"It's soft, but in a good way, kinda like typing on boobs." Luke Lafreniere

Its not even as bad as just being directly paid and sponsored without declaration (which also happens, Linus has done that a few times)

This is perfectly legal. But the laws are changing. But I know what you mean.

14 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

This is perfectly legal. But the laws are changing. But I know what you mean.

It isn't in most of the world, although it currently is in Canada. But Europe and the USA definitely illegal.

No its not currently legal in Canada. They are changing the laws on that for next year.