Last time I bought a PSU I screwed up...

Hello to you, you wonderful people of the LTT forum who have helped me through (now three) computer builds. All of which I expect to fail because of something stupid I did. So today I ask you if you can help me make a choice in power supply. My current expected wattage (thanks to PCPartPicker) is about 500W, however I plan to OC my E5-2670 and RX470 to their limits as we all know.. POWER IS BEST THING!

So I ask you of these three PSU's which would you recommend? I ask for these specifically because I would like to test @Slick's theory about if having more power future-proof's the computer (I really hope I don't need to buy anything else until 3-5 years down the road). This is an INVESTMENT. I do a LOT of gaming and some streaming on verious sites. Ontop of that, I also am a full time college student who (and yes this is insane) will be taking this computer 6000km (~3000mi) to Norway in about one year. I know, I'm insane. But my sanity aside: Should I spend the same, get a higher wattage PSU and forgo modularity for the future of my PC, or should I stick with modularity, for the same price? Your opinion and help is greatly appreciated.

PSU's:

• Corsair CXM 650W 80+ Bronze (~$70)
  • Corsair CXM 750W 80+ Bronze (~$70)
  • Fractal Design Integra M 650W 80+ Silver (~$65)
  • EVGA BQ 650W 80+ Bronze (~$65)
  • CoolMax 600W 80+ Bronze (~$60)
  • Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold (~$75 after mir, kinda last option if possible) 

Mainline: MacBook Air M1 Display(s): Acer K272HUL; VIOTEK - GNV32DB Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech M720/K780 Sound: AirPods 3 Operating System: MacOS Phone: iPhone 13 Pro (Graphite)

The RMx is significantly better than the rest, yes it is $100 before MIR, but it is similarly priced after MIR....so that would be my recommendation. 

The Coolmax is garbage, the CXMs/Intera M are decent but not great, and the BQ is unknown.

With that said, if you're going to be traveling 3000 miles with it, maybe consider going with something like a SFF Node 202 build instead. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The Coolmax can die in a fire (it'll probably do that to itself). The CX and Integra are OK, but not really amazing. The RMx is really the one to buy.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The RMx is significantly better than the rest, yes it is $100 before MIR, but it is similarly priced after MIR....so that would be my recommendation. 

The Coolmax is garbage, the CXMs/Intera M are decent but not great, and the BQ is unknown.

Hmm.. Thanks for your reply, and I do know that "you get what you pay for", but is it really worth the extra cash that I may or may not have (leaning towards may not)

Mainline: MacBook Air M1 Display(s): Acer K272HUL; VIOTEK - GNV32DB Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech M720/K780 Sound: AirPods 3 Operating System: MacOS Phone: iPhone 13 Pro (Graphite)

1 minute ago, wolfboytech said:

Hmm.. Thanks for your reply, and I do know that "you get what you pay for", but is it really worth the extra cash that I may or may not have (leaning towards may not)

Well, you'll (more than likely) get the money back in a month or two if you can swing that....I mean, it's only an extra $25 -- mow a lawn or something. The reason I suggest it is because the RMx is FAR FAR superior to the other options, it's not even close. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

With that said, if you're going to be traveling 3000 miles with it, maybe consider going with something like a SFF Node 202 build instead. 

Thanks for that. I actually will be (sadly)entrusting it to the USPS to get it to Norway safely. Probably not a good idea, but.. Whatever. I'll buy insurance.

2 minutes ago, wolfboytech said:

The RMx is on a different planet compared to the rest of the units you're looking at. It's definitely worth paying more for.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Well, you'll (more than likely) get the money back in a month or two if you can swing that....I mean, it's only an extra $25 -- mow a lawn or something. The reason I suggest it is because the RMx is FAR FAR superior to the other options, it's not even close. 

Thank you, again. Sad fact is, I am a college student with no job, and the fact is I can't get one because I have a "superiority complex" that makes me "not work well with others" as two of my past bosses have told me. I own my own company, but it's just a startup so that's very slow.

4 minutes ago, TheGhzGuy said:

The Coolmax can die in a fire (it'll probably do that to itself). The CX and Integra are OK, but not really amazing. The RMx is really the one to buy.

Thanks, that made me chuckle. I will definitely think about that.

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The RMx is on a different planet compared to the rest of the units you're looking at. It's definitely worth paying more for.

Okay, so to rephrase my question, is there one that you would recommend for $60-70 (pre mir)? Please and thank you.

Just now, wolfboytech said:

Thanks, that made me chuckle. I will definitely think about that.

Well I'm glad it made you laugh. I've had a Coolmax PSU once that as soon as I plugged it in, it fried itself (It was just a pin start test) GG Coolmax.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

1 minute ago, TheGhzGuy said:

Well I'm glad it made you laugh. I've had a Coolmax PSU once that as soon as I plugged it in, it fried itself (It was just a pin start test) GG Coolmax.

Ripperoni pepperoni, mate, sorry. :(

1 minute ago, wolfboytech said:

Ripperoni pepperoni, mate, sorry. :(

Meh, 35 Dollars ain't too bad.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Just now, TheGhzGuy said:

Meh, 35 Dollars ain't too bad.

True. So are all of them trash, or just the low, low end ones?

8 minutes ago, wolfboytech said:

Okay, so to rephrase my question, is there one that you would recommend for $60-70 (pre mir)? Please and thank you.

Anything in tier 1-3 from the PSU tier list in my sig. The CXM/Integra M's that you have are fine, but they're still not even close to the RMx. 

3 minutes ago, wolfboytech said:

basically all. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Anything in tier 1-3 from the PSU tier list in my sig. The CX650 that you have is fine, but it's still not even close to the RMx. 

Okay, so the Quark is actually okay? Can anyone confirm? I know Rosewill isn't.. The most respectable company nowadays. 

basically all. 

Awesome, thank you, yet again.

6 hours ago, wolfboytech said:

The Integra is marginally worse I suppose than the CXM but as we've before, the RMx isn't comparable to the others.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||