GTX 970 how long will it last?

DarthVader61425
Go to solution Solved by Darkseth,
24 minutes ago, DarthVader61425 said:

so I was wondering if it could handle all the triple A titles at max settings or even high settings for the next 3 years.

NO, it will NOT. It Can't even today ;)

Don't get me wrong For basic 1080p Gaming it's okay. But i would NOT have gotten a 3.5gb Card for the next 3 years. Rather save a month, and get a 1060 at least.

Doom for example does Not let you select the Nightmare setting, when you have less than 5gb Vram.

Hitman does not let you use resolution scale or HIGH shadow setting when you have less than 4gb Vram (well.. at least i know, that it doesnt allow it on a GTX 1060 3gb).

And others will follow....

Will you have real problems with a 970 playing games  in basic 1080p well enough? Yes, you probably will, even in 2-3 years (with reduced settings, depending on how demanding future games will be).

But will you be able to play any game literaly "max Details"? No. because in some games you won't even be able to select them. ^^

I personally would've saved for either a GTX 1060, or a RX 470 8gb custom model (should be 30€ below the 1060 6gb), which are more future proof, than a 970.

Hello, so I'm hopefully about to get my new parts for my first gaming computer I ever built. I was originally going to get the GTX 1070 but there were problems with that so I couldn't get any of the 10 series cards. So the only card that was in my price range was the GTX 970 so this will probably be my pc for the next 3 years no upgrades so I was wondering if it could handle all the triple A titles at max settings or even high settings for the next 3 years.

Here are the full specs : 

CPU : Intel core i5 6400

RAM : 8 GB of DDR4 running at 2133 mhz

GPU : Evga gtx 970 SSC

Motherboard : Still not sure but anything that is compatible would be nice

Case : Again doesn't really affect performance 

PSU : EVGA 500 Watts 80+ bronze certified non-modular power supply

HDD : Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB Hard Drive

So can these specs run the triple A titles on high-max settings for the next 3 years or will it not be able to handle it? 

Also just a side note, will this specs be able to handle GTA V max settings with x8 anti-aliasing and still get a steady 60 fps? 

no it cant even do that really right now, its fine on high at 1080p but not maxed out in the latest AAA titles

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Why not an rx 480 instead or something?

And no, there's no way a 970 will be able to handle triple A titles in 3 years at high settings. And I don't think a 970 could do gta V on max with x8 anti aliasing. More like high settings with x2 anti-aliasing or something.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

no it cant even do that really right now, its fine on high at 1080p but not maxed out in the latest AAA titles

What about the 1070? Will it be able to max out all the settings for triple A games for the next 3 years?

Just now, EnemySp0tt3d said:

rx480? if you can, please return that 970.

I still didn't buy it. But would the 980 do the trick?

1 minute ago, DarthVader61425 said:

What about the 1070? Will it be able to max out all the settings for triple A games for the next 3 years?

well more or less, i cant see the future but if you can then return the 970. if not its what i have and i have yet to be disapointed but i also dont play much AAA games

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, DarthVader61425 said:

it would be better, its about the same as a 1060 or slightly lower IIRC

Builds:

Spoiler

Right now, its not worth buying any new 9 series card as newer ones are going to out perform them in price to performance and VRAM.

3 minutes ago, DarthVader61425 said:

yes. What monitor monitor are you using?  If you give me a budget, Ill make you a build on pcpartpicker.

Right now, its not worth buying any new 9 series card as newer ones are going to out perform them in price to performance and VRAM.

Yea, but right now I'm having a hard time trying to get those 10 series cards so I'm simply not able to and if I would be able to, it would take like 2-3 months at least. 

And I've waited for 5 months for a new pc so I don't know...

yes. What monitor monitor are you using?  If you give me a budget, Ill make you a build on pcpartpicker.

I still don't have one yet but here's what I'm aiming to get. A 120-140$ monitor which is 1080p 60hz with 1 ms delay and no it won't be IPS.

Yea, but right now I'm having a hard time trying to get those 10 series cards so I'm simply not able to and if I would be able to, it would take like 2-3 months at least. 

And I've waited for 5 months for a new pc so I don't know...

Well if you are going to be planing on playing high end games, a 970 isn't going to cut it for 3 years, considering that it came out in 2014 and has 3.5 gigs of vram.

Well if you are going to be planing on playing high end games, a 970 isn't going to cut it for 3 years, considering that it came out in 2014 and has 3.5 gigs of vram.

Well, if I do wait this 2-3 months I'm aiming to get the 1070 but will it be able to run triple A games at max settings for like the next 2 years then bump it down to high in the 3rd? Because there's still a lot of graphics game developers could add like Global Illumination which from what I've heard is almost impossible to run by today's graphics cards.

1 minute ago, DarthVader61425 said:

Well, if I do wait this 2-3 months I'm aiming to get the 1070 but will it be able to run triple A games at max settings for like the next 2 years then bump it down to high in the 3rd? Because there's still a lot of graphics game developers could add like Global Illumination which from what I've heard is almost impossible to run by today's graphics cards.

I can't tell you what games are going to be like in 3 years. No one can. But what I can tell you, is that you should get a 10 series card as it has more vram, which games are starting to use more of. The 10 series is also faster. If you are getting a 1080p 60hz monitor, it SHOULD be able to.

I can't tell you what games are going to be like in 3 years. No one can. But what I can tell you, is that you should get a 10 series card as it has more vram, which games are starting to use more of. The 10 series is also faster. If you are getting a 1080p 60hz monitor, it SHOULD be able to.

Nvm, I found a 1070 card but it's 600$ that's the price of a gtx 1080... Should I really break my budget and go for it because my budget is 800$ that with the cpu is 800$ 

11 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

980ti is the only exception if the price is below 1070 models

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Nvm, I found a 1070 card but it's 600$ that's the price of a gtx 1080... Should I really break my budget and go for it because my budget is 800$ that with the cpu is 800$ 

you shouldn't get a 1080 if you are going to be gaming on 1080p 60hz.

you shouldn't get a 1080 if you are going to be gaming on 1080p 60hz.

No the price of the 1070 is 600$ the 1080 is like 800$.

Which country is this for as the prices can vary wildly if it's not the US

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

They will go back down, in a a few weeks. Cards are low on stock everywhere.

24 minutes ago, DarthVader61425 said:

so I was wondering if it could handle all the triple A titles at max settings or even high settings for the next 3 years.

NO, it will NOT. It Can't even today ;)

Don't get me wrong For basic 1080p Gaming it's okay. But i would NOT have gotten a 3.5gb Card for the next 3 years. Rather save a month, and get a 1060 at least.

Doom for example does Not let you select the Nightmare setting, when you have less than 5gb Vram.

Hitman does not let you use resolution scale or HIGH shadow setting when you have less than 4gb Vram (well.. at least i know, that it doesnt allow it on a GTX 1060 3gb).

And others will follow....

Will you have real problems with a 970 playing games  in basic 1080p well enough? Yes, you probably will, even in 2-3 years (with reduced settings, depending on how demanding future games will be).

But will you be able to play any game literaly "max Details"? No. because in some games you won't even be able to select them. ^^

I personally would've saved for either a GTX 1060, or a RX 470 8gb custom model (should be 30€ below the 1060 6gb), which are more future proof, than a 970.