[Build Log] The Define Project (it's like the never ending story... c'mon inside!)

adi518
Trying to finalize my colorway...

I present you with the "uber" pentagon colorway design:

8cz1YgR.jpg

Colors (MDPC): Black, Grey, Aqua Marine MKII, Shade, White, Shade, Orange.

And a bonus picture taken with my iphone and slightly edited in PS (very slightly, it was very good from the get-go):

nIRRZ54.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Been pushing work on the new rad mount. I ordered an aluminum piece that is bend to specific size, in a 'Z' form. This is because, I couldn't find an extruded piece that fits my needs exactly. Tbh, it's not feasible to really look for one as this is an entirely custom solution. It'd have been nicer ofc, if I could find one. Anyone thinking on making such thing, it's worth a quick check downtown before custom ordering a piece.

Like I mentioned earlier, I designed this thing to be modular. I don't think throwing fans on the rad and then on some plain adapter piece is a smart idea. That's because, when you think ahead, you realize it's better to preserve those modularity features the define offers in it's default form. So, in essence, the mount is bolted to the case and then the rad mounts onto it from the inner side (w/bolts ofc). The inner side of the mount will have a 2mm sponge frame that will offset the fans to avoid those bulgy radiator bolts. On top of that, I will use 2 stripes of slightly thicker sponge, that will sit against the fans. This plus two limiter pieces, will hold the fans securely inside the mount and make it easy to take the fans in & out. The top this, I also plan to add a 2-3mm dust filter that will keep that nasty dust out of the case (much like the default one).

In all of this, I was also taking into consideration a design that will minimize air escape.

So, after a lot of time and calculations, I moved from drawing to the real thing:

I drilled all radiator holes & made the first opening for a fan:

hpIGcik.jpg

I used a digital caliper to test the result and it came out perfect so tomorrow I will be making the other two openings. After that, it should be a rather quick process to finalizing it.

Really love that you are going with more than two colors.. keep it up.

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

Like I promised, more progress was done today... :)

I need to complete some more holes tomorrow and then I'm on to polishing one side of the aluminum (one side is already polished from factory). For painting it, I decided to check the anodizing option, which will give it a great paint, that's also durable!

L7z2j34.jpg

I'm also playing around with the idea of using that bonus 120mm radiator Black-Ice had sent with the replacement radiator. I figured it can help me achieve a cool pipe design without looking bad (crossovers, etc').

Taking a lot of inspiration from "Murder Mod" if you know that one. :)

Adding another picture:

BgHYNtO.jpg

just went trough the thread and your attention to detail really let this mod stand out from all the other r4s. Excellent job!

Can you elaborate on how you did the cables? (what cable/crimping/contacts etc.)

I want to do custom cables for my bequiet psu in the same color as the sleeving so it matches 100% 

And a last question: what do you think about combining mdpcx and cleancut on the 24pin and pcie 6pin calbes i.e. right next to each other? I would buy the black sleeve from furryletters and the white/sata sleeve from nils (he's a great guy but just so expensive,

especially considering that there is hardly any difference between his sleeve and cleancut is it?)

Hmm... mdpc black and black cleancut are like twins.. it's hard to notice the difference at first, but after some time.. you start noticing it. I guess it can work, but for sake of unity, I'd get all mdpc. You should also check out lutro0customs.com. I'm using mdpc-x/lutro0 crimper w/original molex terminals. The plastic connectors I use aren't necessarily original molex but probably some oem brand. In that regard tho, it isn't as important as the terminals. Nils/Lutro0 have both quality parts so you're good with either.

I really love the way the motherboard looks :DD but if u sprayed it in black did the yelow and the text automaticly disepeared ? and how many layers did u sprayed ? i have a msi Z77A-GD55 do u think it wil work ?

6600K  |  16GB HYPERX  |  GTX1070 FE  |  Z170X-UD3  |  AIR540

Respect the past, Embrace the future.

@adi518

thx for the information, will check lutros stuff out, shipping may be expensive since i'm in germany

Oh.. if you're in Germany, then just get it from Nils and be done with it.

I really love the way the motherboard looks :DD but if u sprayed it in black did the yellow and the text automatically disappeared ? and how many layers did u sprayed ? i have a msi Z77A-GD55 do u think it will work ?

I didn't spray it. I just removed those silly covers. Looks like you can do it on your board as well. That is if you prefer the whole blue look.

looks vary nice my friend can wait to see it complete i dropped my define R4 on the pavement sadly :(

Oh.. if you're in Germany, then just get it from Nils and be done with it.

I didn't spray it. I just removed those silly covers. Looks like you can do it on your board as well. That is if you prefer the whole blue look.

Thanks but i fear the heatsinks are solid blue without covers

6600K  |  16GB HYPERX  |  GTX1070 FE  |  Z170X-UD3  |  AIR540

Respect the past, Embrace the future.

They are hehe. You could paint them, but you better take the original paint off first.

• 4 weeks later...

Just givin ya all a slight update.. *project is not dead by any means*

Unfortunately, there was a huge **** up by liquid-extasy and I totally condemn this company now. You can read more about it here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1301287/custom-waterblocks-any-like-liquid-extasy-de/20_20

Luckily, sniffing around revealed that bitspower has made water blocks for the z77 mpower and the new z87 power so hopefully I can get those in matter of weeks. Meanwhile, my radiator adapter is almost finished. I will put up pictures once it's done since I want to avoid doing small updates now. It's been a long project, actually way longer than I ever anticipated. I'm not saying it's not fun, but it's certainly taking a toll on my time.

Someone from OCN liked the sleeve scheme I'm using on this project so he made a cable with it (very nice indeed!):

9342028157_15ccf9063d_c.jpg

It does put a smile on your face when other people find your ideas cool and original, and helpful! :)

this looks beautiful so far keep up the great work!

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

• 3 weeks later...

This looks fantastic...

I'm also from Israel, I couldn't find one place that sells water cooling parts without crazy shipping fees, so I ended up going close loop for the CPU and air on the GPU... Where are you getting your parts?

f6f.gif

Gigabyte Aorus pro z390 :Intel Core I5 9600K RAM:Kingston HyperX 16 GB: Asus gtx 1070 Ti AE : WD Black SN 750 ,500 GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB + Kingston Fury HyperX 120 GB, Hitach 500 GB : Corsair RM750x :Colorful Raynor G1 AOC C24G1  Razer Kraken TE Bassilisk Ultimate ,Ornada Chroma

I love the extreme attention to detail O_O

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

Any updates?  :)

Fractal Design Define R4 | Intel Core i7-3820 | Gigabyte X79-UP4 | Swiftech H220 | 16GB G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3 1866 | EVGA GTX 780 SC | Crucial M4 128GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB | 5x Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP15 | Corsair AX750

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/12550-my-r4/'>My R4

Waiting for more Updates :D

“Strength does not come from winning. your struggles develop your strengths. 

When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength” 

Case: Corsair Obsidian 400R , CPU : Intel Core i7-3770K , Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance , Cpu Cooler : CoolerMaster Seidon 120M , RAM : Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB , Hard Drive : Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB , Monitor : Dell UltraSharp U2312HM , GPU : ASUS GTX 670 DIRECT CU II

quite excited for the next update

in my basement,using a computer,staring at a 1024x768 screen

awesome, very clean build

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

Ahh sorry guys, I often forget to check this forum and since it doesn't send email notifications I totally forgot. Unfortunately, no new updates, although I did get a new camera! I was having some real-life difficulties lately and unfortunately bitspower is not supplying new news regarding their block. I will probably have to cancel this vrm cooling plan and settle for cpu/gpu.

@Eyal, I bought all parts from PPCS, it wasn't easy to deal with them though.. very strict guys :\ if you forget something in a big order, you then have to make few small ones and run into trouble of arguing on the shipping cost which is not proportionate to the order cost. Anyway, be sure to register @ hwzone.co.il if you aren't already and check the "project-logs".

@Eyal, I bought all parts from PPCS, it wasn't easy to deal with them though.. very strict guys :\ if you forget something in a big order, you then have to make few small ones and run into trouble of arguing on the shipping cost which is not proportionate to the order cost. Anyway, besure to register @ hwzone.co.il if you aren't already and check the "project-logs".

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate that!

Also, if I haven't said it already, I'm really excited about this build log! Great work!