[Build Log] The Define Project (it's like the never ending story... c'mon inside!)

adi518

gBUc4.png

Introduction:

I'm Adi, 28, rooting from Israel. Oh ye, we love the Tech Tips channel out here too ! :)

Like others, I'm a rather causal subscriber to the channel, I've been following it about 2 years after it's initiation and learned a lot from it. Linus has that spot on attitude for videos that are fun and easy to watch. :)

This project started back in October 2012, but I went through a Long-a$$ learning curve. I've never done such project before, but I looked at other people's work and knew what I want my project to look like. So I aimed high, but my skills are rather low-mediocre at best. Also, part of the learning curve was learning (and still learning) hardware and what stuff exactly to get... it's tough when you have such huge variety of pc parts, AND it's even harder when most of the project has to base on parts imported from over-seas (shippings costs, customs, delays, oos, etc'). So far though, I believe I've done it right with perhaps minimal mistakes. So far. ;)

* This log is also posted on various other forums, content may differ a little. My nickname is the same on all forums so you can look them up if you want. :)
** Some pictures may not depict colors as they are in real life. Well obviously, but my camera is extra crappy and has a broken screen display so I can't really see what I'm shooting.

Here's the official spec planned:

Board - MSI Z77 Mpower (former board was GB z68x-ud3h)
Cpu - i5 2500k
Gpu - Evga GTX 670 ftw (SLI planned once I hunt down another ftw).
Ram - 16gb G.skill Sniper 1866 CL9
Psu - Seasonic X-560 (this beast can carry a 2500k and two 670 ftws! prolly not the best idea, but for a fact, it can)
Case - Fractal Design Define R4 (well, obviously lol)

Water cooling equipment:

Pump - Swiftech 655 -B D5 w/Bitspower modkit in matte black.
Radiator - Black Ice GTS (2nd gen) 360mm
Tubing - Nickle plated copper tubings in conjunction with Bitspower Multi-link adapters
Coolant - Ice Dragon Nano Fluid
Cpu Block - EK Supreme LTx (nickle and plexi edition) or XSPC Raystorm
Gpu block - EK FC-680 (old style, also nickle and plexi edition, this one is from the last 2012 batch in October)
VRM & Chipset blocks - Liquid Extasy (should be here by April)
Res - Bitspower multi-z upgrade kit for D5 (also have 80 and 250mm versions)

Sleeving:

MDPC: Orange, Shade, Black, Aqua Blue MKII, White
Techflex Clean cut: Black & Grey (only colors available)

* The first post is gonna get updated from time to time so be sure to check it out for some new info.

Lets go:

Taken apart anything that won't be used, hdd/od cages & gromits.

WRFn4.jpg

My first interaction with sleeving was cleancut so I used that for the first sleeving tasks:

Black & grey cleancuts:

2kvDJ.jpg

- mdpc yellow -

9Zcj3.jpg

- mdpc b-magic -

SOYEC.jpg

Sleeved the front panel with clean cut:

NEnsX.jpg

Quick test assembled:

2cDAn.jpg

Gonna give the usb 3 wiring a special treatment which I like to call the "mdpc treatment", more on that later. :)

Sleeved some sata cables, some for practice and some for using in the actual build:

FX7Sr.jpg

In black (mdpc):

F3zzM.jpg

And as an extra practice, these two short satas:

SyNHn.jpg

Sleeved one of my fans:

Sk5Ye.jpg

And various other fans:

tlGAk4X.jpg

Z0ilvHl.jpg

czTpxgN.jpg

Painting the i/o shield white is a must (all pci brackets are white):

Prepping:

M1s7Kb9.jpg

Quick assembly review:

p8gnSBX.jpg

Got an acrylic piece that will cover the perforated floor of the R4:

yTTOg.jpg

Cut into size:

Z0Z8w.jpg

New board:

BBkHhY7.jpg

EjPuaIo.jpg

New ram:

mo9tM.jpg

Close up:

G389l.jpg

The stickerless G.skill Snipers:

qwSj1Yz.jpg

Yellow covers removed and heatsinks cleaned from sticky residue:

qQgyTZl.jpg

IO area cleaned from stickers:

g6a2PlO.jpg

Assembled:

nA0jMxH.jpg

Close up:

f2jEBj8.jpg

A'right, water cooling parts started to arrive:

Black Ice GTS 280... it's nice and everything but gonna need a replacement since it's slightly defected. Edit: Black Ice were kinda enough to ship a new radiator to me, a GTS 360 and as a bonus another 120mm radiator + free shipping with Fedex. Brilliant customer service in my book.

IBVGS.jpg

The new radiator:

UdtNDdT.jpg

With eLoops attached:

6WgHv99.jpg

First attempt at making an adapter plate for the radiator:

gMlRv6y.jpg

pCCDMoG.jpg

QssTeet.jpg

First attempt went ok, but not good enough. I will use my first attempt to make a new piece, this time using the first adapter as stencil and duplicating it (minus the defects) using my Router.

hlLyavY.jpg

Good old' XSPC Raystorm:

l8uwC.jpg

Unboxed:

3JHdU.jpg

Another block I got off ebay, it's an EK Ltx Nickle/Plexi edition:

sCQ2F.jpg

Arrived a bit dirty so cleaned it up:

AwjHBAv.jpg

Also had to get a proper backplate for it:

Vr4VqUV.jpg

"Old style" FC-680:

0xaSfqk.jpg

I also plan on getting this set of blocks for the motherboard. It was just released by a German brand called "Liquid Extasy". It's not a popular brand, but it looks serious. Their shop is a bit weird as you have to wire-transfer your payment (no Paypal option atm). Anyway, it should be in stock around April so it may get added after the build is completed:

HUA3DaG.jpg

Bitspower multi-link adapters, some new sleeving (Mdpc orange):

T4RQmwc.jpg

74XH822.jpg

Rest of the colors:

Q6HBQpf.jpg

Close up (the blue is way way off, I promise better pictures later on):

romVk.jpg

First attempt at uni-sleeving:

lqBJ3fH.jpg

Swiftech "uber" 655, -B model with BP modkit & v2 top:

vIDtV.jpg

BP 80mm multi-z res (tube only):

iBXfk.jpg

Complete res, 250mm

Dj5PT.jpg

I also got the upgrade kit so I'm covered in both tube size (I've got 80, 150 and 250) and both variations, either attached to the pump top or separated because all parts are interchangeable! :)

Close up:

Hmfmk.jpg

BP res brackets for 140mm radiators:

HhP4z.jpg

Unboxed:

1CSlu.jpg

Close up shot:

A0pyD.jpg

Lian Li case feet (also got the wheels, not sure which I'm going to use yet):

XPYaC.jpg

// Updates from May-June 2013

Psu cables wip pics:

ZBfYFbP.jpg

6bKdrQ0.jpg

BSBgtww.jpg

18UMuub.jpg

bhdTbL3.jpg

Love your pictures, I wish I had a camera that good.

Keep it up, I'm sure you're build will be featured if the quality stays the same.

I love the all black motherboard. I'll be keeping an eye out on this build.

+1 Like

THIS is what a build log should look like!

I'm very impressed so far.

I really like what you did to the MSI's heat spreaders.

I'm using an old Canon IXUS lol. Really crap camera if I'm honest. Thanks. :)

Damn this is looking real nice, the board minus the stickers looks soooo sleek.

Can't wait to see what it looks like done. :D

This is looking amazingly slick. Am looking forward to more pictures :D

Mobo: Sabertooth z77 CPU: 2500k @ 4.8GHz (Cooler: Seidon 240m) RAM: 16gb Dominator 1600MHz GPUs: GTX570 Classified + GTX570 SC PSU: XFX ProSeries Black Edition 850W

Storage: HyperX 3k 120gb + Seagate Barracuda 3tb + 2x WD Green 1tb Chassis: HAF932 Stuff: 23" Eizo foris + 19" ViewSonic + Razer goliathus + Deathadder 3500 + Corsair k60 + Sound Blaster Wrath etc.

This is some REALLY nice piece of hardware!! ... I'd really like to see the finished product!!

And btw I really like the multicolor scheme .. It looks BEAUTIFULL!

Keep up the marvelous job!

Greetings from Palestine :)

Asus ROG G750JZ : i7 7400HQ - 16GB - GTX 880M - 256GB SanDisk SSD - 1TB Toshiba HDD - Windows 8.1 - 17.3" 1920x1080

Wow, good job. Looking forward to more pictures!

That Mpower board looks sick with the yellow covers removed :eek:.

Here's a photo of early wire management planning, along with my old Gigabyte motherboard (now sold):

I got my new motherboard through local sponsorship so I was very happy to rid of the old one. MSI also doing much better job at supporting users with bios updates (something GB lacked quite a bit with that board). :)

8qEuq.jpg

tMbSS.jpg

My current board as I work on this project:

g44hW.jpg

Photos with the old project stamp were done using an iPhone 4 actually.

Some stuff from today...

The "Router". This thing rolls at 23,000 rpm, compare to my Drill's humble 3000 rpm. :O

7No0Byj.jpg

My dad is the veteran when it comes to these things so after attaching the first adapter to a new piece of acrylic he went off with the Router and cut out a new piece. This took 2 minutes compare to more than an hour with the Jigsaw!

kBXq7lq.jpg

And finally, it's ready! :D

RGuSs3d.jpg

I really hope this build is featured on the live stream, I like the other guys "titanium" build too but that's just him posting a mate's build.

Keep the log coming. Loving this one. Puts my build to shame for sure, on a totally new level.

Everything about this build looks absolutely beautiful. Heck, some of those photos look like renders!

Quick question: what purpose does the radiator adapter serve? Is it not possible to mount the radiator to the top of the chassis?

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Everything about this build looks absolutely beautiful. Heck, some of those photos look like renders!

Quick question: what purpose does the radiator adapter serve? Is it not possible to mount the radiator to the top of the chassis?

The top of the R4 only accommodates for a 240 rad, he's using a 360.

Agree completely on the photos, absolutely beautiful.

Mounting a 360 in the top is possible with some heavy modding to the top. Since I like to avoid cutting the case, it was much easier and more sensible to go for the front.

If you don't water cool the ram, I was looking at it and I thought the 'sights' along the top looked remarkably like they might be able to pinch in a sleeved cable and it would be awfully cool looking to have four sleeved cables running the length of them in you had something to run those cables to.

just an idea.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

Hmm... Not sure I understand. ;)

Hmm... Not sure I understand. ;)
Hey, what sleeving did you use? Like what diameter and what length? I want to use the silver mainly and the black for my build.

If you want to stick with black/grey then you could get for Techflex cleancut sleeving. It's sold by Furryletters on ebay. It's pretty much same quality as MDPC only it's much cheaper. However, it's only available in black & grey. Clean cut comes in few sizes, I used 1/4" for sata sleeving but it was serious PITA.. you really need a bigger size like the MDPC sata sleeve (I believe it's around 10mm). For small wires, you should get 1/8": http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-BRAIDED-EXPANDABLE-SLEEVING-CLEAN-CUT-25ft-/360266476987?pt=Car_Audio_Video&vxp=mtr&hash=item53e18e2dbb

1/4" is excellent for thicker usb 3 / audio front panel cables. Get both sizes in both colors.

If you want to stick with black/grey then you could get for Techflex cleancut sleeving. It's sold by Furryletters on ebay. It's pretty much same quality as MDPC only it's much cheaper. However, it's only available in black & grey. Clean cut comes in few sizes, I used 1/4" for sata sleeving but it was serious PITA.. you really need a bigger size like the MDPC sata sleeve (I believe it's around 10mm). For small wires, you should get 1/8": http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-BRAIDED-EXPANDABLE-SLEEVING-CLEAN-CUT-25ft-/360266476987?pt=Car_Audio_Video&vxp=mtr&hash=item53e18e2dbb

1/4" is excellent for thicker usb 3 / audio front panel cables. Get both sizes in both colors.

So, how many feet of sleeving would you say I would need? I want mostly silver/grey sleeving, but a couple black on the main connectors.

Also, will the Bitspower High Density Sleeving work just the same? I want to buy from FrozenCPU.com

I don't know about Bitspower's sleeving. I'd stick to MDPC/Techflex. I'd say get 5-10m of sleeving. FrozenCPU are quite expensive too (generally speaking) and it's not a popular store to get your sleeving from.

I don't know about Bitspower's sleeving. I'd stick to MDPC/Techflex. I'd say get 5-10m of sleeving. FrozenCPU are quite expensive too (generally speaking) and it's not a popular store to get your sleeving from.
Okay, so can I get it on Performance PCs or somewhere else? I don't like Ebay very much.