What makes a mechanical gaming keyboard good?

Cantaloupeman

I see plenty of people recommending corsair keyboards like the k70/95/65 but why is that? What makes them better than other mechanical keyboards? Is it just features or build quality or what?

Build quality, looks, customer support, and price mainly. 

Ducky, Logitech, Corsair, Cooler Master, and DAS generally make the better mechanical keyboards. 

Razer, Thermaltake, Gamdias, Rosewill, Roccat, and Azio generally make lower quality ones. 

And I'd say Steelseries is somewhere in between (but closer to the better options).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Durability, materials, layout, ease of cleaning, brand loyalty etc...

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

1) real cherry MX switches

2) full metal build, very robust

3) great looks, especially with RGB

4) very customizable lighting, with tons of presents made by other people available to download for free

5) media controls

6) premium and well known brand

7) decent price, not the cheapest but not overpriced (except when retailers make then extremely expensive when low on stock)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I think people just have those and like them. They offer some "gamer" features that people enjoy as well. They also are just pretty decent in general, with good build quality and competitive pricing. I honestly wouldn't recommend them personally because I prefer something a little more professional looking, with green switches. I have a custom built mech keyboard that I couldn't give up for any retail device currently out there (but that was really expensive and requires a bunch of effort). If I were to get a retail mechanical keyboard I would get something from ducky, like the Legend, or Mini, or Shine 5. I also think DAS makes some nice looking keyboards, but id never buy it because they don't have a removable cable. I also think cooler master makes some damn good stuff as well. The rapid line up is fantastic. Another good option are some of those weird keyboards on massdrop, like the White Fox, or something from Varmillo. 

It comes down to what suit your needs. Not everyone likes RGB and not everyone likes the same switch.

Everyone has its kind of keyboard he likes more.

OS: Windows 10 - Kubuntu 15.10 - Mac OSX El Capitan  CPU: i7 4790 @ 4.00GHz  MOBO: AsRock H97M Pro4  RAM: 4x 8GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz  GPU: VTX3D R9-280 X-Edition  CASE: iTek Spacebox w/ Arctic Fans  PSU: Corsair X750M  SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 Evo  HDD: 3TB Western Digital WD30EZRX  DISPLAY: 3x Acer P193W  MOUSE: 5$ Chinese  TOUCHPAD: Logitech T650 Touchpad  KEYBOARD: Perixx Px-5200 w/Mx-Blues

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

real cherry MX switches

what do you mean real cherry mx switches? If I got a cm storm quickfire rapid fire I wouldn't that be the same type of cherry mx as a corsair?

Build quality and feel of the keys (WAY better than rubberdome)

And the tactile feedback and click(depending on switch)... oooohhh the click man. Its like a drug.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

3 minutes ago, Cantaloupeman said:

what do you mean real cherry mx switches? If I got a cm storm quickfire rapid fire I wouldn't that be the same type of cherry mx as a corsair?

Some keyboards use fake switches or cheaper copies because cherry is really expensive.

Corsair has always used the real ones, with the great quality testing and durability and reputation.

Of course there are other keyboards that also use them like the quickfire.

But the quickfire is far from the same build quality and features, that's why it cheaper.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Cantaloupeman said:

Real Cherry MX Switches that ARE From Cherry,not like Greetech,Outemu,Kailh,Topre switches which are clones

12 minutes ago, lopj245 said:

Its totally the sound you get when typing man.

Click Clack Click Click Click Click Click Clack Clack Clack Clack

Salty Guy in CSGO: "What the fuck is all that clicking"

Me: "Sorry I have Cherry MX blues"

Just now, jeonjaeng said:

reds are the best for gaming tho right? Blues feel good but aren't reds technically better?

Just now, jeonjaeng said:

Salty Guy in CSGO : "What the fuck is all that clicking"

Me: "Sorry its my broken 10 year keyboard breaking apart"

Just now, keNNySOC said:

LMAO

Just now, Cantaloupeman said:

reds are the best for gaming tho right? Blues feel good but aren't reds technically better?

No,It depends on what you like,do you like Blues or Reds

In gaming wise,i see NO difference

15 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

That it's not some POS cherry switch, it has to be buckling spring.

Since when are Cherry switches POS? They are fantastic, way more high tech and modern than a buckling spring. I've typed on both plenty of times and there's a clear reason why I own a board with Cherry switches instead of something like a Model M.

9 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

Click Clack Click ASAWASSDSADADD BANG BANG BANG

Salty Guy in CSGO: ''What the fuck is all that noise''

Me: ''Sorry its my 10 years old scapegoat keyboard that I beat the fuck out of when I rage''

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

10 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Yeah, high tech and modern. Good? Better? Meh. Depends if you like tactile feedback or care about longevity.

I do, that's why I have them. They are excellent to type on and very responsive. I just don't get that with buckling springs, there's too much variability.

15 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

No,It depends on what you like,do you like Blues or Reds

In gaming wise,i see NO difference

but don't the reds give you an advantage with the less actuation force and less travel time?

1 minute ago, Cantaloupeman said:

but don't the reds give you an advantage with the less actuation force and less travel time?

Reds are pure MUSH! I get better feedback from membrane keyboards than reds. Then again reds weren't made for feedback but for me reds have never felt "mechanical" at all. 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

Seriously though, I have the Corsair K70 Rapidfire with the new cherry MX speed switches and god its fast. It takes time to get used to it especially when you come from a basic microsoft keyboard like I did because the keys are so sensitive, but after a while its fine.

1.2mm actuation and 45g of force is like NASA fast.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

Just now, Cantaloupeman said:

For the Actuation force its what you like,some people love to just tap the keys some people love to mash on them,as far as the less travel time that's minimal for me at least