Soundcards. Why?

1 hour ago, KaminKevCrew said:

impedance has nothing to do with how loud a pair of headphones get. Please learn something about audio before making these ridiculous, misleading assertions!

No I already know about sensitivity, I didn't see the need to go in-depth in this thread. Impedance gets the point across.

I've also never had a pair of high impedance headphones that were not quiet un-amped. 

11 minutes ago, DreamcastFan said:

No I already know about sensitivity, I didn't see the need to go in-depth in this thread. Impedance gets the point across.

I've also never had a pair of high impedance headphones that were not quiet un-amped. 

maybe because the drivers wasn't very sensitive and you just have bad onboard. Try the K612pro, my phone can power those and they are 200 ohm and the drivers are not very sensitive, I would say that they are on a scale from 1-10 where 10 is really hard to drive, I would give them a 4, maybe 5.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

14 minutes ago, DreamcastFan said:

No I already know about sensitivity

I doubt it.

well today sound cards as we know them are not that popular, they are generally bought by people with broken onboard and with a low budget. They also use sound cards in studios, but they are far from the normal sound card. Today most "audiophiles" and just headphone lovers buy DACs and amps and I have a pinned post about that, you could give a read if you want to. Also OP since you are going to connect your pc to a receiver via optical and you onboard has optical, then I see no reason for you to get a sound card.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

11 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

maybe because the drivers wasn't very sensitive and you just have bad onboard. Try the K612pro, my phone can power those and they are 200 ohm and the drivers are not very sensitive, I would say that they are on a scale from 1-10 where 10 is really hard to drive, I would give them a 4, maybe 5.

Should also say that my definition of quiet is a little over exaggerated lol, I just felt previously some headphones were unable to be pushed "loud enough" but were definitely enough for general use, but when you did want that extra loudness I couldn't get it from onboard and my previous headphones

1 minute ago, DreamcastFan said:

Should also say that my definition of quiet is a little over exaggerated lol, I just felt previously some headphones were unable to be pushed "loud enough" but were definitely enough for general use, but when you did want that extra loudness I couldn't get it from onboard and my previous headphones

did you buy a cheap motherboard? What headphones are we talking about?