What CPU 6700k vs 6800k

Hi LinusTechTips

First off I want to say how much I appreciate all off your great advice and support!
I did here recently post a similar question, and I am sorry if this looks a lot like it again.

I am building a whole new computer, and is going with the following:

1 GPU (not doing sli) 16 pci lanes usage
1 M.2 SSD 4 pci lanes usage
1 addon board (it is using 4 pci lanes)

total =  24

I can't deside between the 6700k and a Z170 platform or the 6800k and x99 platform. 

I am playing 70% of the time, and the last 30% working where the programs I use do benefit from multiple cores/hyber threating.

I have read that DX12 should enable games to use more cores, so don't know if 2 extra cores from the 6800k helps there?

I was looking at the 6850k also, only because I have seen that it overclocks better, but only by 100-200MHz and don't know if that is worth the extra price?

I hope I can get some advice from this awesome community! :)

What should I do:

or

Thank you in advance! :)

If you feel like you really will require the extra cores then get a 5820k, cheaper than a 6800k and when OCed it's as fast as the 6800k (as Haswell-e seems to overclock better than Broadwell-e ATM :P) else get the 6700k :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

4 minutes ago, vikingen said:

...and the last 30% working where the programs I use do benefit from multiple cores/hyber threating.

Because of this I say 6800k. If you OC 6800k to 4GHz above than it will outperform 6700k in every single task.

Zen is also a choice if you can wait.

Edited by King_Tuna

6800K official DDR4 2400MHz and 128GB support

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 minutes ago, King_Tuna said:

Because of this I say 6800k. If you OC 6800k to 4GHz above than it will outperform 6700k in every single task.

Zen is also a choice if you can wait.

Absolutely untrue to the nth degree. In any application that is not heavily optimized for multiple threads an overclocked 6700k will do you better.

I'd like to note... most benchmarks are reporting that the Zen architecture will perform about as well as the last generation Intel i5s. And most applications only use a few threads. The 6800k will do you better if you plan on doing many things at once... and in some special rendering programs for editing. For the time being, and the next few years, this is the way things will be. There's also about a +$200 price gap between the two chips because of the motherboard chipset prices.

Just now, Aezesel said:

-snip-

Your saying like you can't OC the 6800k,many games are using 6 cores,some even 8 cores,

And he literally he said

10 minutes ago, vikingen said:

programs I use do benefit from multiple cores/hyber threating.

I don't know what your pointing out,your going back to 2010-2011 when 4 cores was the max

2 minutes ago, Aezesel said:

In any application that is not heavily optimized for multiple threads an overclocked 6700k will do you better.

OC'd 6800K to 4 GHz above will outperform STOCK 6700k.

Just now, King_Tuna said:

OC'd 6800K to 4 GHz above will outperform STOCK 6700k.

Oh... okay, lol. Say that next time xD

They're basically the same cores so of course that's true, but it will also produce more heat which means less overclocking potential.

3 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

Your saying like you can't OC the 6800k,many games are using 6 cores,some even 8 cores,

And he literally he said

I don't know what your pointing out,your going back to 2010-2011 when 4 cores was the max

First of all, I didn't say this. Although, the 6800k will produce more heat which means /less/ of an overclock. And your answer "6800k" wasn't very descriptive, that's all. And any game can use more cores, yes. But there's a huge price gap, for only 2 - 5 frames /usually/. It's better to spend that money on a better graphics card for gaming. Any quick search will show that most games don't benefit hugely from that price difference, honestly. Now in the future, I won't be able to say the same, because even Intel are going to be releasing 6 core consumer chips in 2018.

4 minutes ago, Aezesel said:

First of all, I didn't say this. Although, the 6800k will produce more heat which means /less/ of an overclock. And your answer "6800k" wasn't very descriptive, that's all. And any game can use more cores, yes. But there's a huge price gap, for only 2 - 5 frames /usually/. It's better to spend that money on a better graphics card for gaming. Any quick search will show that most games don't benefit hugely from that price difference, honestly. Now in the future, I won't be able to say the same, because even Intel are going to be releasing 6 core consumer chips in 2018.

Were not just talking about gaming,where talking about programming,and the programs he uses BENEFIT from more cores/more threads

If he has the money why not go for it

Just now, keNNySOC said:

Were not just talking about gaming,where talking about programming,and the programs he uses BENEFIT from more cores/more threads

If he has the money why not go for it

I /absolutely/ agree to what you just said. Most compilers will only do better with that if you span the program out in multiple files though... so make sure to do that if you'll be programming with something like Visual Studio. >.> If he does have the extra money for the more expensive chipset and CPU, then I'd go for it as well. But I'd recommend that he invests in a good cooler so that he can overclock better.

1 minute ago, Aezesel said:

I /absolutely/ agree to what you just said. Most compilers will only do better with that if you span the program out in multiple files though... so make sure to do that if you'll be programming with something like Visual Studio. >.> If he does have the extra money for the more expensive chipset and CPU, then I'd go for it as well. But I'd recommend that he invests in a good cooler so that he can overclock better.

LN2 baby! xD 

uses x99 for way cheaper, but performs almost identically to the 6800k.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

I absolutely love my 6800k. This thing tears through everything I throw at it like it's nothing.