How to use multiple IPs

Ajaydev Singh

So I ordered a dedicated server. It comes with 5 IPs. I want to know how does this works. So like 1 ip for website, 1 ip for control panel website. other 3 websites for Minecraft Servers

My main reason for the server is hosting MC Server which is really successful.

Just need some tips on  how this stuff w

Using

Ubuntu 16.04.1

1Gbit Internet

i7 2600k

16 GB RAM

20 minutes ago, Ajaydev Singh said:

So I ordered a dedicated server. It comes with 5 IPs. I want to know how does this works. So like 1 ip for website, 1 ip for control panel website. other 3 websites for Minecraft Servers

My main reason for the server is hosting MC Server which is really successful.

Just need some tips on  how this stuff w

Using

Ubuntu 16.04.1

1Gbit Internet

i7 2600k

16 GB RAM

Virtual machines.

4 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Virtual machines.

or just make the vareous pieces of software grab a specific NIC.

but... just to set things straight...

you ordered a server with an i7 2600k?

please dont tell me it's running ubuntu desktop as well :/

EDIT: also; please tell me that at least it's in a datacenter with DDoS protection somewhere.

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

or just make the vareous pieces of software grab a specific NIC.

but... just to set things straight...

you ordered a server with an i7 2600k?

please dont tell me it's running ubuntu desktop as well :/

EDIT: also; please tell me that at least it's in a datacenter with DDoS protection somewhere.

Oh I know. I just recommend VM's pretty much everywhere. They're great, and great to learn about by using them

2 minutes ago, Ajaydev Singh said:

I am running server version. Im so where near the server. Its in a datacenter

I would check the CPU model again.

5 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Oh I know. I just recommend VM's pretty much everywhere. They're great, and great to learn about by using them

I would check the CPU model again.

i've seen datacenters that specificlty target the minecraft world advertise they're running desktop CPUs, i worry for how badly this guy got ripped off tbh...

Just now, manikyath said:

i've seen datacenters that specificlty target the minecraft world advertise they're running desktop CPUs, i worry for how badly this guy got ripped off tbh...

Yup.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Yup.

i did some research a while back.. and for the money some of these guys ask for one "dedicated server" (which then suddenly appears to be a "dedicated VM") you could rent half a rack in france :P

well I did not buy this from a minecraft seller. They just sell machines.

Edit: I pay $30 for this. lot cheaper then any other companies I found.

I have tested it and it does have 1Gbit internet. 

This is there website.

wholesaleinternet.net/

I found them on webhostingtalk.com

and using htop it does have 8 cores and 16 gb ram

12 hours ago, manikyath said:

Yeah, but imagine his server is used for an attack against a bigger company.

He'd face a tedious trial and if the court decides that he's partially responsible for the attack because the server wasn't properly secured his life could be ruined.

I hope the OP knows that...

16 hours ago, .spider. said:

He'd face a tedious trial and if the court decides that he's partially responsible for the attack because the server wasn't properly secured his life could be ruined.

Can you tell me why? So you saying that me having a server is a big NO ?

8 hours ago, Ajaydev Singh said:

Jail time and or paying thousands of dollars in restitution

8 hours ago, Ajaydev Singh said:

well, its like having virusses on your desktop, but having that virus on a box that has a high bandwidth, is on 24/7, and doesnt have someone staring at its display.

so finding ways to turn people's servers into a botnet is a hacker's wet dream.

--

a while back there was an unfortunate occurence with a bukkit plugin that somehow made it trough their manual sanity check, and would fish an encrypted URL out of a png file, and use that URL to download an actually malicious plugin, which from the available class files alone was pretty clearly meant to be part of a botnet that can provide a wide range of DDoS attacks.

make 200% sure that all that's on your box is clean, and you're fine. if you're not capable of doing this.. you better just dont :/

EDIT: having a hosting company's website be slower than a grandma searching pictures in the attic isnt a very reassuring sight...

Looking through the sites agreements/terms it seems that the main issue or threat comes in that they pretty much scream that they will not make any promise about the service/performance, you're responsible for any costs or legal matters that occur to your server or service even if involuntary or due to their negligence, and when legal action occurs you have to their approval for counsel and the sketchy part to me(though I'm not legal expert) 

" You agree that we may assume control of the defense and settlement process at any time." which to me means they can throw you under the bus if they try. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

On 2016-08-21 at 6:44 AM, RedWulf said:

Looking through the sites agreements/terms it seems that the main issue or threat comes in that they pretty much scream that they will not make any promise about the service/performance, you're responsible for any costs or legal matters that occur to your server or service even if involuntary or due to their negligence, and when legal action occurs you have to their approval for counsel and the sketchy part to me(though I'm not legal expert) 

" You agree that we may assume control of the defense and settlement process at any time." which to me means they can throw you under the bus if they try. 

Yikes, the part about them making you agree to let them assume control of the settlement process in particular, is FUCKING INSANE!

They could literally do anything they wanted, including make the settlement "We'll agree to have the client serve jailtime while we go drink some Mojitos at the beach."

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On August 20, 2016 at 1:33 AM, .spider. said:

You're an idiot.

Yes dude, the owners of those thousands of NTP and DNS servers that attackers bounce packets off of are all being tried in court right now. And those owners of vulnerable routers that are being used to ddos major corporations right now are all serving jail time because they didn't close port 22.

Stop talking out of your ass and trying to scare OP.

1 minute ago, Mornincupofhate said:

You're an idiot.

Byebye another one for the ignore list

2 minutes ago, .spider. said:

Nice dude, you can't even come up with a valid response after giving a whole paragraph of false information. 

6 minutes ago, .spider. said:

What you said was literally the equivalent of saying that you're being charged for murder because some homeless guy broke into your house and grabbed a knife out of your kitchen and stabbed your roommate with it.

29 minutes ago, Mornincupofhate said:

Nice dude, you can't even come up with a valid response after giving a whole paragraph of false information. 

I've no idea what's wrong with you

http://blawgit.com/2006/03/17/get-sued-for-doing-nothing/

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/lock-it-down-ddos-attacks-may-land-you-in-court/

33 minutes ago, Mornincupofhate said:

What you said was literally the equivalent of saying that you're being charged for murder because some homeless guy broke into your house and grabbed a knife out of your kitchen and stabbed your roommate with it.

No he stabbed him in front of you and you did nothing to help him, you didn't even call an ambulance! That's what running an unprotected server is like. 

28 minutes ago, .spider. said:

No he stabbed him in front of you and you did nothing to help him, you didn't even call an ambulance! That's what running an unprotected server is like. 

"Running an unprotected server"

now you're implying that you're going to get sued after being ddosd.

ok

8 minutes ago, Mornincupofhate said:

ok

Learn to read or I shouldn't feed the troll

From the linked article 

"If you become the inadvertent host of a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack..."

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/lock-it-down-ddos-attacks-may-land-you-in-court/

6 minutes ago, .spider. said:

Learn to read or I shouldn't feed the troll

From the linked article 

"If you become the inadvertent host of a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack..."

In practice, it would come down to the individual factors and circumstances, as to whether you would end up charged in court.

What is your technical skill level? If you're a professional IT Admin, they'll expect better security out of you. If you're some idiot know-it-all high school student, they will expect less.

It also depends on the type of service. No one is gonna get charged because their home PC was taken over by a Bot Net and used as part of a DDoS. However, if you have a hosted server w/ huge internet resources (Like 1Gbps WAN connection), and you intentionally disable security on that server? Then yes, you could be held liable.

15 minutes ago, Mornincupofhate said:

ok

So you guys are BOTH right AND wrong. There could certainly be some liability, and intentionally disabling the security could certainly increase that liability.

But your average person is NOT gonna get taken to court over being a host to part of a DDoS attack because their home network was compromised. It all depends on the context.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)