What Do You Look For In Technology?

Akolyte

I was bored and procrastinating as I often do and was browsing YouTube. It was there I saw a video showcasing a new blackberry Android phone.  For me Android is a big no no, but I watched it anyway. 

And it got me thinking, what do you look for in technology.  I primarily look for security, I have my webcam taped over, I have my hard disk encrypted, I use an iPhone because of Apple's security standards which they strictly state as well as the fingerprint scanner.  Even though the blackberry phone has a bunch of security features, it's not good enough for me.  But then I thought that some people might look for different things like usability or battery life, or even in desktop computers, like how cool they look or just the raw performance.

I also want to encourage software products too, I look for security and stability in every piece of software I use, and that's my policy.  But I'm curious what other's policies are.  This would also help me on some computer science projects I am doing involving how people view technology (It's part of my software engineering paper.)

I look for an operating system that gives be better control over my system, and thus more security.

Kinda like Android.

...( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I won't know you're talking to me unless you reply/quote me.

13 minutes ago, Gravemind said:

I look for an operating system that gives be better control over my system, and thus more security.

Kinda like Android.

...( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Makes Sense.  I guess the one thing I'm wondering is how does more control equate to better security?  Doesn't less control equate to better security.  I mean there are of course different ways it could go, in one sense you have full access so you can specify all of the access control details, but if you have less control then that limits you and everyone else including an attacker.

I use Linux on my desktop computer for that reason, I have more control but also less control because I require a root password to do anything extra than what I'm allowed to do.  I use an iPhone because it's encrypted and has a fingerprint scanner as well as a detailed list of all the security policies.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

How does this thing help or improve my life? Just because it's there doesn't mean I should get it.

As a result I have almost zero interest in things like IoT devices and smart home kits.

Good answer.  I also have zero interest in IoT devices. 

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

A good personality.

But what is a good personality? Like what gives a device it's personality?

Realistic usability, affordability, and durability.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

28 minutes ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

I primarily look for security, I have my webcam taped over

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

I don't think you're much safer with an iPhone. That's the thing about security, you can't be safe, just safer, but being safer would then limit what your phone is capable of. That's mainly why people don't care about security at all. 

They just want something that works for what they want to do with them.

As for your question: to me hardware is the most important thing. Why? Because that's what you actually buy and what can't be taken from you.

2 hours ago, laminutederire said:

Because that's what you actually buy and what can't be taken from you.

Is there a typo in there somewhere? Because I'm pretty sure hardware can be taken from you. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch