Why does CPU have 12V input?

Go to solution Solved by samcool55,

12V comes in and gets turned down to the voltage required by the CPU by the CPU VRM.

The reason it uses 12V and not 5V is because 12V is also easy to work with and you can use lower amps to get the same wattage.

Also Vdroop is easier to handle at a higher voltage because you have more room to work with.

edit: the VRM is around the CPU and most mid/high-end boards have some form of cooling on it.

That's why you usually see heatsinks around the socket, it's cooling the VRM.

I was wondering today why a CPU has a 12V input, while using ca. 1.3V-1.4V. Wouldn't it be enough to have a 5V input or even less? Also it would be easier to cool the voltage converters (is this the right english word lol?), wouldn't it?

unless im mistaken, the PCIE cards are on the 12V rail

the molex/sata are on 5V

the CPU power on the 3.3V rail

im not sure what the 24 pin is on

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

7 minutes ago, DXMember said:

8 minutes ago, 007agentHP said:

the molex/sata are on 5V

A modern CPU has its own converter on the motherboard which converts 12 volts to whatever voltage the CPU requires. 

According to this the CPU is on the 12V rail, right? Or am I completely retarded?

12V comes in and gets turned down to the voltage required by the CPU by the CPU VRM.

The reason it uses 12V and not 5V is because 12V is also easy to work with and you can use lower amps to get the same wattage.

Also Vdroop is easier to handle at a higher voltage because you have more room to work with.

edit: the VRM is around the CPU and most mid/high-end boards have some form of cooling on it.

That's why you usually see heatsinks around the socket, it's cooling the VRM.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, Mobby Dick said:

According to this the CPU is on the 12V rail, right? Or am I completely retarded?

Everything is on 12V except for USB, those are on 5V directly

we use higher voltage because then we can work with smaller currents and transfer the power more efficiently

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

In short, transferring power is easier/more efficient at higher voltages than lower ones. The reasons behind this are in the laws of physics. Power is equal to voltage multiplied by current. Wires aren't perfect conductors, and their losses are proportional to current. Higher current, higher losses. For the same power, if you use a higher voltage and lower current, you have less loss.

CPUs do run at very low voltages, so at some point it still has to be converted. This is done on the mobo, close to the CPU, so they can minimise the distance that power has to travel. A high end overclocked CPU could take over 100A, which would fry normal household wiring if you were to try shifting that!

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

19 minutes ago, 007agentHP said:

the molex/sata are on 5V

PCIe: 12v (from the motherboard)

CPU: 12v

Molex/SATA: 12v and 5v

24pin connector: everything

USB: 5v (from the motherboard)

6/8-pin GPU connector: 12v

24 minutes ago, 007agentHP said:

I thought CPU power was on the 12V rail...both my modular/semi-modular PSUs support CPU power on PCIe ports/slots which should enforce that it's 12V even more? 

25 minutes ago, 007agentHP said:

The 24pin has them all ;) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :)