5820k vs. 5960k

Yes, I know that one has 40 lanes, and the other 28 lanes. Which in a LTT video it was shown that unless your going to have a lot of PCIe cards, it doesn't really impact performance. So if you're not going to have alot of PCIe lanes used, is the 5930k really worth it, only having .2Ghz better?

If you don't need the extra lanes, then get the 5820k and just overclock it to the same speeds that the 5930k would overclock to. 

The only reason to get the 5930k is for the extra PCIE lanes.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

If you don't need the extra lanes, then get the 5820k and just overclock it to the same speeds that the 5930k would overclock to. 

The only reason to get the 5930k is for the extra PCIE lanes.

That's what I thought, Thanks for verifying

they are so last 2014...

go 6950X man

5960X has two more cores and 5MB of cache more

if you're overclocking, which you should with HEDT, then the only difference between 5820K and 5930K is one costs a little more

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

28 minutes ago, DXMember said:

they are so last 2014...

go 6950X man

5960X has two more cores and 5MB of cache more

if you're overclocking, which you should with HEDT, then the only difference between 5820K and 5930K is one costs a little more

I had a typo in my title, I was talking about the 5930k, and the reason I'm not thinking 6800k is because I believe the MSI Godlike will need  bios update, which just annoys me

1 minute ago, vladonizer said:

I had a typo in my title, I was talking about the 5930k, and the reason I'm not thinking 6800k is because I believe the MSI Godlike will need  bios update, which just annoys me

between you and me, Haswell-E also overclocks better

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

7 minutes ago, vladonizer said:

Why would you over pay for a Msi Godlike gaming board?

If you can get a Asus Rampage 5 EXtreme ED10 for allmost the same price.

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

between you and me, Haswell-E also overclocks better

Well that works for me, the 6800k just looks better on paper

Just now, Sintezza said:

If you can get a Asus rampage 5 ED10 for arround the same price?

This is going to sound very picky and stupid reasoning. I like having one slot between my GPU's, I don't think having 2 slots looks near as good.I am very big into aesthetics

9 minutes ago, vladonizer said:

Well that works for me, the 6800k just looks better on paper

This is going to sound very picky and stupid reasoning. I like having one slot between my GPU's, I don't think having 2 slots looks near as good.I am very big into aesthetics

Well looks are understandable.

But i´m not sure if you should pick looks over quality and functionality.

However the Msi godlike boards are ofc not bad what so ever.

But its just that the Asus Rampage 5 Extreme ED10 is just better wenn it comes to VRM implementation, especialy for diehard overclockers.

But yeah there are also decent cheaper motherboards for example, which would allow you to pick a 5930K or 6850K 40 lane chip for example ending up spending similar money.

Of course its just my personal opinnion, but trowing a 28 lane cpu on one of the most highend X99 boards you will limmit the boards connectivity potential basicly.

Of couse for most users the 28 lanes chip will be more then fine but still.

If you realy dont need those 40 lanes then i could understand it.

12 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

If you can get a Asus Rampage 5 EXtreme ED10 for allmost the same price.

To be fair Asus motherboards can really be troublesome sometimes.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

7 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Well looks are understandable.

But i´m not sure if you should pick looks over quality and functionality.

However the Msi godlike boards are ofc not bad what so ever.

But its just that the Asus Rampage 5 Extreme ED10 is just better wenn it comes to VRM implementation, especialy for diehard overclockers.

But yeah there are also decent cheaper motherboards for example, which would allow you to pick a 5930K or 6850K 40 lane chip for example ending up spending similar money.

Of course its just my personal opinnion, but trowing a 28 lane cpu on one of the most highend X99 boards you will limmit the boards connectivity potential basicly.

Of couse for most users the 28 lanes chip will be more then fine but still.

If you realy dont need those 40 lanes then i could understand it.

I'm not gonna need more then 28 lanes, 2 GPUs is all that I'm gonna use for the lanes. But I'm still between the 2, because 2 slot spacing would be better for cooling anyways

3 minutes ago, Remixt said:

To be fair Asus motherboards can really be troublesome sometimes.

I have had a lot of trouble with the crossblade ranger I have :/

Just now, vladonizer said:

I'm not gonna need more then 28 lanes, 2 GPUs is all that I'm gonna use for the lanes. But I'm still between the 2, because 2 slot spacing would be better for cooling anyways

I have had a lot of trouble with the crossblade ranger I have :/

My rampage V requires about 10 restarts to post sometimes. It's really annoying.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

8 minutes ago, Remixt said:

My rampage V requires about 10 restarts to post sometimes. It's really annoying.

That can't be fun :( 

Well technically the Msi X99 Godlike Carbon or Gaming are totaly fine boards.

The only thing that personaly annoys me on them is that for their premium price, they choosed to use a hybrid ISL6388 6+1 phase pwm for the main VRM, 6 true phases doubled to 12 virtual phases.

Instead of implementing a nice fully digital 8 phase solution from IR.

Which is pretty much the best in the buisness.

Of course there isnt anything wrong with ISL solution atall.

But still Msi could have done this a bit better imo.

13 minutes ago, Remixt said:

Hmm thats kinda strange, i do have heard of similar issues according to this on more motherboard brands.

Sometimes a bios update solves it, but sometimes it seems to be an issue with memory overclocking i think.

X99 in general is kinda troublesome wenn it comes to memory overclocking.

Atleast the Haswell-E chips.

You should do a 5820k + MSI x99a sli plus. It's enough overclock power so that it won't hold your cpu back but not too pricey either. It also looks pretty sleek.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

12 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Well technically the Msi X99 Godlike Carbon or Gaming are totaly fine boards.

The only thing that personaly annoys me on them is that for their premium price, they choosed to use a hybrid ISL6388 6+1 phase pwm for the main VRM, 6 true phases doubled to 12 virtual phases.

Instead of implementing a nice fully digital 8 phase solution from IR.

Which is pretty much the best in the buisness.

Of course there isnt anything wrong with ISL solution atall.

But still Msi could have done this a bit better imo.

It's the only decision I'm not sure about on my build. If I could decide on which board I want I would be set

And also, would an ASUS board look out of place in a mostly MSI build?

Edit:

21 minutes ago, Crossbred said:

You should do a 5820k + MSI x99a sli plus. It's enough overclock power so that it won't hold your cpu back but not too pricey either. It also looks pretty sleek.

I have the income to be able to waste some, like I bought an iwatch a few months ago, and still can't figure out why it would be useful

5 minutes ago, vladonizer said:

I have the income to be able to waste some, like I bought an iwatch a few months ago, and still can't figure out why it would be useful

Then to answer your original question, if you buy the board now it will likely have the bios needed to support Broadwell-e. Go ahead with a Godlike Carbon + 6850k.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

14 minutes ago, Crossbred said:

Then to answer your original question, if you buy the board now it will likely have the bios needed to support Broadwell-e. Go ahead with a Godlike Carbon + 6850k.

I don't want a 6850k, I'm not gonna need the extra PCIe lanes, specially with it being around $200 more, also if I got a godlike, it wouldn't be the carbon

Just now, vladonizer said:

I don't want a 6850k, I'm not gonna need the extra PCIe lanes, specially with it being around $200 more, also if I got a godlike, it wouldn't be the carbon

Do you want to waste or not? Lol.

Anyway, godlike + 6800k should work fine.

5 minutes ago, Crossbred said:

Do you want to waste or not? Lol.

Anyway, godlike + 6800k should work fine.

Well when its $200 more with pretty much 0 benefits I don't.