Best "tools kit" for a new pc builder?

Ima be building my first computer next month and I was wondering what tools will I need the most, and if there is any kit that comes with all those stuff.

You may want to use the grounding wire and you will definently need a screwdriver, that is all.

All you really need is a screwdriver and anti-static wristband. 

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

3 minutes ago, Katsunaka said:

I fix it. Its the kit Linus uses.

If you want to overspend on tools that are not that good... 

either buy a few 2$ screwdrivers, a 10 $ ratchet kit or get a proper toolkit from reputable manufacturers if you're going to spend 50+ $ on tools. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

don't bother with a wristband IMO, get a decent pair of anti-static gloves instead, they will also help protect your hands to some degree from the sharp edges... so just those and a screwdriver needed really.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

12 minutes ago, PillowFortEngineer said:

Ima be building my first computer next month and I was wondering what tools will I need the most, and if there is any kit that comes with all those stuff.

Just for building a PC? Phillips bit with a screw-driver, a magnetized one preferred, as there tend to be screw-holes in hard-to-access nooks, and dropping a screw in there is hell on Earth!

Nothing to see here ;)

Something like this will help you open/fix almost any kinds of consumer grade PC. 

I used it to open my 2012 non-retina macbook too.

IMG_20160817_212355.jpg

IMG_20160817_212406.jpg

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

2 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Something like this will help you open/fix almost any kinds of consumer grade PC. 

I used it to open my 2012 non-retina macbook too.

IMG_20160817_212355.jpg

IMG_20160817_212406.jpg

Exactly what i meant. Can you refer me to the website of this?

I know there is a risk but in my years of building PCs I have never worn a wristband AND done stupid stuff like sitting on a carpet whilst building. Never had an issue with static. 

YMMV ;-)

Build Log : Red N White Army

System Specs

NZXT S340

i7 4790k

Z97 MSI Gaming 5

Palit 980 Ti Super Jetstream

16GB HyperX Savage 1866 RAM

Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Custom Cooling Loop

9 minutes ago, PillowFortEngineer said:

Exactly what i meant. Can you refer me to the website of this?

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Opening-Screwdriver-Samsung-Computer/dp/B00W0ZVXBS/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1471450278&sr=8-13&keywords=Hardware+Screwdriver+Tool+Kit

I found one similar one at amazon US.

You can google search the image and find more online websites that sell this kind of tool kit.

I bought my one just in a local hardware store(in Singapore) like best buy. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

3 hours ago, PillowFortEngineer said:

The ifixit kit is great or any small set of screwdrivers/tools

But honestly 99% of your pc building can be done with a single screw driver from a dollar/pound store

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Common sense and patience are the best tools to bring to any job.

Take your time, read the manuals.... have a screw driver. A little tray (magnetic is always nice) is also helpful since there's a lot of little screws. Notepad and paper can sometimes come in handy. Basically every tool you need can be found at the dollar store.

Magnetic parts tray if you are prone to accidentally pushing screws off the table, a ratcheting screwdriver, (bought a nice Craftsman one at Ace Hardware for $25) and an anti static wristband.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

You could get a nice ratcheting screwdriver like the kind Linus has. If you want to be a bit on the safe side, you can also get an anti-static wrist strap, they are only about $5 or so. 

Any big toolkit is kind of overkill, those are really meant to do things like laptop repair.

May Our Framerates Be High And Our Temperatures Be Low.

PSUs: EVGA B2/G2/GQ/GS, Corsair RMx/i, Grey-Label CXM, Everything Seasonic/Delta/Super Flower, XFX except XT

Use pcpartpicker.com

6 hours ago, juretrn said:

If you want to overspend on tools that are not that good... 

either buy a few 2$ screwdrivers, a 10 $ ratchet kit or get a proper toolkit from reputable manufacturers if you're going to spend 50+ $ on tools. 

Really? "Not that good?"

I agree it's a little expensive, but the roll is great, the tweezers are great, the spudgers are good, the rest of the tools are either good or great, even the consumables are well made, and the screwdriver kit is BLOODY FANTASTIC. Even the old kit is pretty good (not as good as the new one though).

Thing about that here is, I still wouldn't recommend the iFixit Pro Tech Toolkit for just building a PC. The most important part of it is the screwdriver set, and while it's an amazing screwdriver set, it's too small for something meant solely for use on desktop rigs.

@PillowFortEngineer, really any standard magnetic multi-bit screwdriver kit is just as good as any other for PC building. If you really care about the brand, I'd suggest Wera.

Aside from the screwdriver, everything else is just sort of nice to have. A few things worth looking into are...

-A good knife (for packaging, zip-ties, etc.)

-Spudgers (for poking and prying, bridging leads, etc.)

-A microfiber (for cleaning thermal compound) (should be used with isopropyl alcohol)

-A flashlight (it can get hard to see in some cases)

I have no idea why anyone's really mentioning ESD bands. I can't remember the last time I didn't build a PC on carpet, I've only used an ESD band once, and I've never had any problems whatsoever. I do make sure, however, never to put a bare PCB on the carpet, just to be safe.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

1 minute ago, Dash Lambda said:

Really? "Not that good?"

I agree it's a little expensive, but the roll is great, the tweezers are great, the spudgers are good, the rest of the tools are either good or great, even the consumables are well made, and the screwdriver kit is BLOODY FANTASTIC. Even the old kit is pretty good (not as good as the new one though).

Thing about that here is, I still wouldn't recommend the iFixit Pro Tech Toolkit for just building a PC. The most important part of it is the screwdriver set, and while it's an amazing screwdriver set, it's too small for something meant solely for use on desktop rigs.

@PillowFortEngineer, really any standard magnetic multi-bit screwdriver kit is just as good as any other for PC building. If you really care about the brand, I'd suggest Wera.

Aside from the screwdriver, everything else is just sort of nice to have. A few things worth looking into are...

-A good knife (for packaging, zip-ties, etc.)

-Spudgers (for poking and prying, bridging leads, etc.)

-A microfiber (for cleaning thermal compound) (should be used with isopropyl alcohol)

-A flashlight (it can get hard to see in some cases)

I have no idea why anyone's really mentioning ESD bands. I can't remember the last time I didn't build a PC on carpet, I've only used an ESD band once, and I've never had any problems whatsoever. I do make sure, however, never to put a bare PCB on the carpet, just to be safe.

If you're spending THAT much on tools, get them from an actual reputable manufacturer. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Just now, juretrn said:

If you're spending THAT much on tools, get them from an actual reputable manufacturer. 

And iFixit isn't a reputable brand?

(Let's not say "manufacturer," since I don't think iFixit actually manufactures most of their tools.)

What's bad about them? What other brands would you recommend?

4 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

And iFixit isn't a reputable brand?

(Let's not say "manufacturer," since I don't think iFixit actually manufactures most of their tools.)

What's bad about them? What other brands would you recommend?

In my experience, what tools are avaliable in one part of the world are not in the other; ask a mechanic if you know any.

But if you really want to know, when it comes to fine tools, Wera comes to mind, and for more general stuff (wrenches, screwdrivers, ratchets...) most mechanics I know use Beta, Wurth, KS Tools. Gedore...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, juretrn said:

In my experience, what tools are avaliable in one part of the world are not in the other; ask a mechanic if you know any.

But if you really want to know, when it comes to fine tools, Wera comes to mind, and for more general stuff (wrenches, screwdrivers, ratchets...) most mechanics I know use Beta, Wurth, KS Tools. Gedore...

Wera's good, and I know them (I recommended them in this thread), but they're very specialized.

Thing is, iFixit isn't worse than any of those companies by a really significant amount, they have a ridiculous variety, and their toolkits are famously complete.

Though I really do think that their new 64-bit screwdriver set is the best in its class. (That class being 4mm multi-bit driver kit, not screwdrivers in general)

All you need is an Inexpensive precision screwdriver kit.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/45715100?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227034403502&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=90167158728&wl4=pla-126771693408&wl5=9014241&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=45715100&wl13=&veh=sem

You don't necessarily need the an anti-static strap. I got one in my first computer tool kit and never used it after my first build.  That's about 15 years of building/maintenance and I've never had any problems.

Stay away from ifixit, they are severely overpriced.

Stay away from the typical $29 PC tool kit, it's just a bunch of junk you won't use.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Patience, good overhead light and philips-head screwdriver.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv