Does this tech exist?

I was just thinking about my Hackintosh and was wondering if tech existed to allow for the Mac startup sound? I want like a separate board with a speaker that can be added to the power button that will simply play a sound in maybe .wav when a switch is pressed.

Does this exist anywhere?

Just now, DominicNikon said:

what?

Yeah my iPhone closed the keyboard and my finger touched the post button.  lol.

Just now, Locutus said:

Yeah my iPhone closed the keyboard and my finger touched the post button.  lol.

ok so whats a hackintosh?

20 minutes ago, Locutus said:

I was just thinking about my Hackintosh and was wondering if tech existed to allow for the Mac startup sound? I want like a separate board with a speaker that can be added to the power button that will simply play a sound in maybe .wav when a switch is pressed.

I think it's against the rules to ask about hackintosh here. 

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 710(Kaby Lake)

Phone: Oneplus 3

Tablet: iPad air 2

19 minutes ago, Locutus said:

In Windows you have system sounds that can be customized so surely the Hackintosh should have something similar.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

On 16.8.2016 at 3:47 AM, Shubham Yadav said:

why, it is just a custom pc with osx?

(brb, will examine coc)

EDIT: you pirate osx and therefore it is seen as piracy and all discussion of piracy is against the forum rules.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

You are looking for a WAV or MP3 decoder circuit. There are some cheap ones at the bay. Just add a small switch as a trigger to play the sound at power button press or combine it with a microcontoller

Tower: Fractal Design Define R5, ASUS ROG Maximus VII Ranger, Intel Core i7 4790K, Intel HD 4600, 2x HyperX Savage 8GB 1600MHz, 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB, WD Caviar Red 2TB, BeQuiet Pure Power 630W, Custom Water Cooling, Windows 10 (UEFI), Mac OS X El Capitan (UEFI), Clover (UEFI), iMac14,1

Notebook: HP Elitebook 8460P, Intel Core i5 2410M, Intel HD 3000, Crucial 2x8GB 1333MHz, 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB, Windows 10 (UEFI), Mac OS X El Capitan (UEFI), Clover (UEFI), MacBookPro8,1

10 hours ago, Strando123 said:

(brb, will examine coc)

EDIT: you pirate osx and therefore it is seen as piracy and all discussion of piracy is against the forum rules.

How can you assume OSX is pirated? If you have access to a working Mac (that was purchased legally), and you download OSX El Capitan, where exactly has pirating taken place?

Yes, tech like this exists, and is also very easy for a DIY project. This instructable is about similar (using an Arduino board to read a push button and play a tone over a speaker), and there are hundreds of these. In general, the cheapest way to do it will involve using a programmable Arduino project board, a push button, and a speaker. All of which can be bought from Amazon for cheap (<$20). Does that answer your question? Sorry if it's too general.

19 hours ago, Pinguinsan said:

How can you assume OSX is pirated? If you have access to a working Mac (that was purchased legally), and you download OSX El Capitan, where exactly has pirating taken place?

++

"There is probably a special circle of Hell reserved for people who force software into a role it was never designed for."
- Radium_Angel

I remember reading about this on Tonymacx86. The thing is that it's a BIOS thing on Apple computers, kinda like a POST beep. I think. Thus it can't be replicated. When I ran a hackintosh, I never really cared that it didn't make a noise on boot.

ASU

if you know some programing and willing to do some soldering... you could program a chip to trigger a speaker to play a sound when you press the powerbutton, and in turn that chip also would power on the pc. if that is what your looking for. if it is, then you should head over to

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/ or https://www.element14.com/community/welcome if you want to learn how to build things like that or check there respective youtube channels.

Please Quote so i know you have replied. | If we have provided a solution to your problem mark it with answer found.

And also please read the COC and avoid the embarrassment and lecture that will ensue.

Okay, wow.  This has expanded a lot.  I forgot to save a link to the topic so I didn't even think to check it until now.  I'm going to answer the thread as a whole excepting in places where others have answered.

First of all, I need to say that I completely disagree with the moving of this topic to this sub-forum as the actual question has absolutely nothing to do with an operating system at all.

On August 15, 2016 at 9:47 PM, Shubham Yadav said:

Okay, the only thing about my hackintosh in the post was explanatory only.  This is why I disagree with this topics current location.  The question had absolutely nothing to do with hackintosh.  I have heard Linus and Luke discuss hackintosh in various videos (most recently in an old WAN Show), and (again) coupling that with the fact that it wasn't about hackintosh in the first place, I didn't think anything of adding in that bit of back story to my question.  I know now, and will follow that rule.  I apologize for bringing it up.

On August 16, 2016 at 5:17 AM, BaconPersuasion said:

cant say it would considered "tech"

Then what exactly would you consider it?  It is technology.  No matter how simple or advanced it is: it is technology.  The first obsidian tools were, in fact, technology.  I genuinely am interested in what you would call what I'm asking about if not technology.

On August 17, 2016 at 7:40 AM, Strando123 said:

(brb, will examine coc)

On August 17, 2016 at 6:34 PM, Pinguinsan said:

I'm the first to admit that it breaks the EULA of Apple to install OS X on non-Apple hardware.  That being said, I am writing this on a Macbook which is the second one I've owned and I have paid more than once for an OS X install.  I downloaded my copy of El Capitan form the App Store so, despite the EULA, I do not see hackintoshing as piracy in any way. I honestly don't care and if Apple wants to make a thing about it, they can.  I know they won't though, because most of the "innovations" within their operating systems comes from people like me doing things that is against Apple's EULA.  Most of OS X tweaks have come from within the Hackintosh community just like most of the awesome new features for the iPhone has come from the jailbreaking community (customizable keyboards and themes to name a couple).  Had I not heard Linus and Luke mention it on an old WAN Show (they even mentioned tonymacx86 by name) I was watching the day I posted this topic, I wouldn't have mentioned hackintosh at all.

On August 19, 2016 at 11:16 AM, yarn said:

could probably just make an init script to play the  sound clip in the bg.

That would only play the sound while the system was booting which is not proper for an actual Mac.

On August 21, 2016 at 5:54 PM, Hackentosher said:

I remember reading about this on Tonymacx86. The thing is that it's a BIOS thing on Apple computers, kinda like a POST beep. I think. Thus it can't be replicated. When I ran a hackintosh, I never really cared that it didn't make a noise on boot.

The Mac ting plays at power on prior to Mac POST.  I wonder if someone over at tonymacx86 would have a non-diy solution!?  I should go look.  Thanks for the unintended suggestion.

I normally wouldn't care but in this case, I found a PC that so closely matches a Macbook Pro that I decided to try an make it as close to one as possible.  The Apple boot ting is one of only a few things that holds back the illusion.  I have made custom keycaps to replace the windows logo key and a few others.  I have even went so far as to cut out the ASUS logo and backlight it like the Apple logo on a real machine.  If I weren't striving for OCD perfection with this build, I wouldn't care either.  But for now, this machines perfection (in my eyes at least) has become my white whale.

On August 17, 2016 at 5:02 PM, ottoedler said:

You are looking for a WAV or MP3 decoder circuit. There are some cheap ones at the bay. Just add a small switch as a trigger to play the sound at power button press or combine it with a microcontoller

Awesome.

On August 17, 2016 at 6:37 PM, Pinguinsan said:

Yes, tech like this exists, and is also very easy for a DIY project. This instructable is about similar (using an Arduino board to read a push button and play a tone over a speaker), and there are hundreds of these. In general, the cheapest way to do it will involve using a programmable Arduino project board, a push button, and a speaker. All of which can be bought from Amazon for cheap (<$20). Does that answer your question? Sorry if it's too general.

Yes.  It does, thanks.

20 hours ago, EvilLemur said:

if you know some programing and willing to do some soldering... you could program a chip to trigger a speaker to play a sound when you press the powerbutton, and in turn that chip also would power on the pc. if that is what your looking for. if it is, then you should head over to

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/ or https://www.element14.com/community/welcome if you want to learn how to build things like that or check there respective youtube channels.

Hey!  Thanks you three for this information.  I'll look into it!  I'm getting that the answer is no: something like what I want doesn't exist that you can just buy and setup but it's an easy do it yourself thing.  I know a few programming languages but I don't do much in the way of custom hardware so I'll have to figure that out.

So, thanks everyone for the input and conversation.  It is much appreciated.  And if a mod should happen by, I ask that you rethink the placement of this topic as it doesn't actually fit in the OS board, but whatever: it is what it is.

Locutus

or

The one who speaks.

Edited by Locutus
OCD is one heck of a drug.

Hey, no problem man :). Whatever path you end up taking, follow up and show us the results! And if you run into any snags, I'd be more than happy to help!