7970 Ghz Edition and Mantle API

BMARX123
Go to solution Solved by Howies,

Short Answer Yes

Long answer 

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

I recently just got a 7970 ghz edition card at a really good deal for around $250 after rebate, and then the r9 280x card came out. The question I have is:

Is the 7970 GHZ Edition capable of running the Mantle API? The research that I did says it requires a GCN card, which I believe that the 7970 has. Been looking it up and this is the last place I have to turn to. Just not sure if it has to be built into the card.

CPU: AMD FX 8350 GPU: Reference GTX 980ti Motherboard: Gigabyte 990fxa-Ud3 (rev. 4.0) RAM: 16GB 1600 Speed Memory Power Supply: Corsair CX600m 600 watt PSU Case: NZXT H440

Yes the 7970 can use the Mantle API. The only thing you miss out not getting a 280x is TrueAudio if that's even a big deal for you.

Currently BF4 in December and I think COD:Ghosts are the only confirmed games to support Mantle.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Short Answer Yes

Long answer 

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Oh really that's fantastic. Thanks Guys!

CPU: AMD FX 8350 GPU: Reference GTX 980ti Motherboard: Gigabyte 990fxa-Ud3 (rev. 4.0) RAM: 16GB 1600 Speed Memory Power Supply: Corsair CX600m 600 watt PSU Case: NZXT H440

Yes the 7970 can use the Mantle API. The only thing you miss out not getting a 280x is TrueAudio if that's even a big deal for you.

Currently BF4 in December and I think COD:Ghosts are the only confirmed games to support Mantle.

Wrong the R9 280x & R9 270X do not have True audio... only the R7 260X (and the upcomming R9 290X I presume) has it...

The 280x doesn't support True Audio btw.

Yes the GCN 7000 series cards support the mantle api.

oh, thought it did. No point really in getting a 280x than if you can find a cheaper 7970Ghz.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

One other question, will this just require a driver update to use mantle? or something else?

No trueaudio on R9 280x...

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

One other question, will this just require a driver update to use mantle? or something else?

You'll have to sacrifice your dog before getting the AMD's CEO's blessing that will allow you to wield the Mantle and harness the power of thy 7970 GPU.

Of course it's only driver-based :)

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

You'll have to sacrifice your dog before getting the AMD's CEO's blessing that will allow you to wield the Mantle and harness the power of thy 7970 GPU.

Of course it's only driver-based :)

Thanks, this is the best forum I've been on  :)

The 280x doesn't support True Audio btw.

Yes the GCN 7000 series cards support the mantle api.

Dont they? Man i thought they did, oh well

* yeah your right, they shouldve built true audi into all their new cards : /

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

Only difference really is the new powertune which uses heat as a part of the process like nvidia gpu boost 2.0 and thats about it. And probably an extra year or two of driver support if you do keep a gpu that long/want to run new games with new drivers after that amount of time.

How the hell can you be THAT misinformed plus go around telling this to other people? 280x doesn't support True Audio and CoD Ghosts is a Nvidia title and has nothing to do with Mantle.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan