Should I limit my FPS to 60 for 60hz Monitor?

tob*

Is there any advantage in not to limiting the fps to the max. Monitor refresh rate? (in my case 60 fps)

Screen tearing, more heat on CPU/GPU, that's about all the downsides.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

The reason I don't limit it (mainly because I don't notice screen tearing) is because when you limit on a 60hz monitor, because the GPU isn't producing the extra frames, if you have a random drop, it wont stay at 60, it will drop to 40, until the GPU kicks back in again, whereas if I'm playing a game at 110/120fps, and it drops, it wont drop below 80/90, so is still more than playable without a notice for me

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

I run my games at the maximum FPS possible as the likelihood of your GPU rendering in sync with your monitor's refresh rate is unlikely without a synchronization technology like G-Sync or FreeSync.

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

If you cap your games at 60fps on a 60hz panel it will feel laggier than 90fps on a 60hz panel, in my opinion at least

I always use VSync, since my old AMD 5770 GPU.

I never experienced Input lag compared to VSync off. Only thing i got was horrible Screen Tearing.

More than 60 fps make no sense on a 60 Hz monitor, because it won't be possible to display those pictures per second.

60 fps = One Picture every 16,67 milliseconds

If you get like 100 fps, the next Picture should come 10 ms later, and not 16,67 ms.

--> After 10 ms the Display will already get some input of the 2nd Picture, while still displaying the first picture.

Screen tearing or Drops. Both look so horrible, that smooth capped 60 feels the smoothest.

Usually...... It also depends on the Game Engine. CS:GO for example is said to benefit from 100-200 fps rendered in the Engine, even on 60 Hz monitors.

So the correct answer is: Try it out yourself, and use what looks/feels best for you. ^^

5 hours ago, SherifsDog22 said:

The reason I don't limit it (mainly because I don't notice screen tearing) is because when you limit on a 60hz monitor, because the GPU isn't producing the extra frames, if you have a random drop, it wont stay at 60, it will drop to 40, until the GPU kicks back in again, whereas if I'm playing a game at 110/120fps, and it drops, it wont drop below 80/90, so is still more than playable without a notice for me

i dont get it... if the gpu gets a random drop, won't it just drop under 60 fps regardless? 

6 hours ago, SherifsDog22 said:

If this is your worry, then simply use "prefer maximum performance" for that game (or whatever AMD's equivalent is, I know you can force it either through CCC or MSI Afterburner) and your card won't ever downclock, so you won't get "drops" because your card isn't getting enough demand to render.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I personally don't see the point in running your frame rate higher than what your monitor can physically display. Yea I agree with 1 persons comment that yes at time it will drop below 60 but not too the extent what the person mentioned. For me if it does drop in fps when set to vsync it drops too at worst 57fps.