Graphics card upgrade in a prebuilt

Hi, i recently bought an XFX R9 290 off of Craigslist for a gpu upgrade. I also bought a PSU new from memory express so I would have enough wattage. I then proceeded to rewire my computer with the new power supply, and install the new GPU. Everything was wired correctly, and the gpu fans were spinning, but it failed to post. I thought that the GPU might be dead, so I put the GPU in my cousins fairly new gaming rig (R9 390 i7 4790k). It worked, amazingly may I add. What's wrong?

Just now, Frosty said:

What sort of prebuilt do you have?

It is some gateway computer, with an i5 3450 and 16gb's of DDR3 memory. Before the GPU upgrade it had a Radeon HD 7470.

15 minutes ago, BlashaOwns said:

Hi, i recently bought an XFX R9 290 off of Craigslist for a gpu upgrade. I also bought a PSU new from memory express so I would have enough wattage.

What PSU did you buy?

Just now, MaxBunny said:

What PSU did you buy?

I Bought a Cooler Master Elite V2 - 550W Long-Lasting Power Supply

1 minute ago, BlashaOwns said:

I Bought a Cooler Master Elite V2 - 550W Long-Lasting Power Supply

Where did you read that 550w was enough? I'm looking online and see 600w from some people. The official XFX version ( http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-r9-200-series/amd-radeon-r9-290x-black-edition-r9-290x-edbd ) says:

Minimum Power Supply Requirement : 750 watt

XFX Recommended Power Supply : XFX 850W PSU

You can use a lower PSU if the rating on it is higher (good gold/platinum models), but for cheapo ones you would have to meet the minimums or maximums.

I feel that 750 watts as a minimum is way too high.... I used a wattage calculator and it said under load the pc would get to a total of 450 Watts and the recommended PSU wattage is 500. (By the way, its an r9 290 not a 290x). I can try using my cousins power supply, that has a total of 860 watts?

For some reason 290X or just 290 on XF website says 750W PSU but anandtech test for AMD stock design (reference) only draws up to 400W

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1068?vs=1056

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Just now, Thony said:

For some reason 290X or just 290 on XF website says 750W PSU but anandtech test for AMD stock design (reference) only draws up to 400W

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1068?vs=1056

Yeah, i dont think its the PSU that's the problem. Still don't know what to do with my problem...

4 minutes ago, BlashaOwns said:

Yeah, i dont think its the PSU that's the problem. Still don't know what to do with my problem...

Even partpicker himself used 650W for 290X... 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

So what is the problem with it not posting? Oh and thanks for replying so quickly!

8 minutes ago, BlashaOwns said:

So what is the problem with it not posting? Oh and thanks for replying so quickly!

are you absolutely sure its plugged in fully into the PCI-E slot?

11 minutes ago, Mkander99 said:

are you absolutely sure its plugged in fully into the PCI-E slot?

just double checked, its in perfectly.

38 minutes ago, BlashaOwns said:

Did you plug in the 8 pin and 6 pin into the GPU? 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

1 minute ago, Ramamataz said:

Did you plug in the 8 pin and 6 pin into the GPU? 

Yes I did. I may have found out what it is. Manufacturers like Dell or Gateway in my case doesn't allow new hardware to be put into motherboards. We are trying to unlock this by resetting and or updating the BIOS on the motherboard. I'll keep everyone "posted" haha

Turns out that the problem I have is that i need to disable "Secure Boot" in the bios. I looked for it, but I am sure i do not have this option. I thought I may need to update my bios, but I could not do this either! Updating it is too complicated for me, and I really need to know how to do this as I spent money on a GPU and PSU and don't want it to go to waste.

My bios version is 2.14.1219 (P03.A1). It is an Acer motherboard.

After trying to mess with the BIOS, my HDD has stopped working. Everytime i turn the computer on with this HDD the computer beeps rapidly nonstop. I've tried with a different HDD and I DON'T get the same problem. At this point I don't care about getting my GPU working... I need my files!!!

Just now, Abyssal Radon said:

If the case your using uses the standard lay out for the holes, it might be wise to buy a motherboard that isn't a piece of shit. Anyway good luck. Also that really sucks man.

Yeah already checked, a lot of the stuff is proprietary. Man i'm having bad luck this week.

Just now, Abyssal Radon said:

Got to love prebuilts... anyway maybe get a cheapo case and motherboard. You can use all of the other hardware with a case/motherboard upgrade just make sure that it's the same socket type and appropriate chipset for your CPU. 

Already having a hard time finding a cheap LGA 1155 Socket MOBO... The only luck i've had is an ASUS motherboard that went for $100 on Ebay.

Also, having spent $300 on a GPU and PSU, I'm really not down for spending anymore.

2 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Maybe call the company that your computer came from and see if they can help. Proprietary hardware can be a pain in the ass... 

Already called gateway support... my little cousin knows more about computers than their whole staff.

7 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Got to love prebuilts... anyway maybe get a cheapo case and motherboard. You can use all of the other hardware with a case/motherboard upgrade just make sure that it's the same socket type and appropriate chipset for your CPU. 

All prebuilts are created equal, but Gateways are less equal than others I would say.

Just now, Biggerboot said:

All prebuilts are created equal, but Gateways are less equal than others I would say.

Sigh. If only there was a way for me to get the secure boot option disabled.

4 minutes ago, BlashaOwns said:

Sigh. If only there was a way for me to get the secure boot option disabled.

Have you tried booting the hard drive back up with your original gpu (or no gpu)?  It could be detecting the hardware change and basically locking up your PC because of it.  Worst case scenario, you could probably retrieve the contents of your drive on another computer.  Does this gateway even allow usb booting?

I wouldn't even bother with gateway support.  They're not even going to help you if you attempt to explain that you tried to install a gpu and did things to the bios.  Voided warranty = no help.

15 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Have you tried booting the hard drive back up with your original gpu (or no gpu)?  It could be detecting the hardware change and basically locking up your PC because of it.  Worst case scenario, you could probably retrieve the contents of your drive on another computer.  Does this gateway even allow usb booting?

I wouldn't even bother with gateway support.  They're not even going to help you if you attempt to explain that you tried to install a gpu and did things to the bios.  Voided warranty = no help.

Yeah i've been trying to boot up the hard drive with my original GPU. I even reset the CMOS just in case, and loaded default bios settings. Still the really obnoxious beeping. Could I put the hard drive in another rig and see the files even if it has windows on it?