Core P5: Black water & Chrome edition (build log) - Completed

My plan is pretty simple: A complete rebuild of the waterloop while migrating to a Thermaltake Core P5, using hardline PETG with almost all new parts (original build here).

There will be no LED lights, no colours or coloured water, just black and chrome and, nickle... and some copper.... :/

The actual PC components:

CPU: Core i7 5930K
MOBO: Asus X99 Deluxe
RAM/dimmdrive: 80gb (4*8 +4*16) Corsair Vengeance 2666Mhz
GPU: Asus GTX 980 reference (waiting for the TItan XP to magically appear)
OS Disk: 2x 240gb Intel 535 (RAID1)
Game Disk: 2x 400gb Intel 750 PCIe NVMe (RAID0)

PSU: Corsair HX1050

And, to hold it all together

Thermaltake Core P5
GPU: EK FC980 (carried over from current build)
Motherboard: EK FB ASUS X99 mono block
Storage: 2x EK I750
Res: EK X3 400
Tubing: PETG
Fittings: A boatload of EK fittings
Pump: Laing D5 (still going strong) w/ EK pump top
Radiator: 360mm XSPC + 120mm Swiftech (both from the last build)
Fans: 4x Corsair ML120

I am waiting on a few more parts to come in and will hopefully be able to put it together this weekend. But, I fear the PCIe 4x extension cables for the 750s' may even take a couple weeks to arrive from China but hopefully not. Maybe by then I will find a camera to do a proper video log... will post if I do :)

In the meantime I am amusing myself with Sketchup:

*The render below uses models for many parts I am not using, it is just a way for me to get an idea of how to run the line.

PC.jpg

Edited by Charles Root esq.
To indicate the build log is complete.

cool, never seen a PC with black fluid, will definatly follow this because it seems like it could be awesome :D 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Updates will be few and far but I will try to get a bunch of photos at least.

The black water is a total experiment. On good advice, I have never put anything resembling anything other than distilled water and silver near my loop but while I could go on all day about why coolants are evil I think a little water soluble nigrosine dye should be ok... we will see I guess :) 

Hahah thanks :)  but it is just Sketchup with the Visualizer plugin https://getvisualizer.com

It is not meant to look all that good but simply give me an idea of the space I get to play with so I can plan the pipes. The trick is to go to the 'get models' tab in Sketchups 3D warehouse, find the insanely detailed scale models of components that other people have made and then piece the parts together: which is slightly easier said than done but only slightly. The only thing I actually drew are the fan/radiator rectangles and the pipes.

I am thinking of doing some tests with the black dye while I wait for the x4 cables. I don't have a spare loop to test unfortunately but I will stopper one of the new tubes and see how it looks. Will update soonish.

I am using Nigrosine (water soluable) Black Dye

11 minutes ago, Charles Root esq. said:

Hahah thanks :)  but it is just Sketchup with the Visualizer plugin https://getvisualizer.com

It is not meant to look all that good but simply give me an idea of the space I get to play with so I can plan the pipes. The trick is to go to the 'get models' tab in Sketchups 3D warehouse, find the insanely detailed scale models of components that other people have made and then piece the parts together: which is slightly easier said than done but only slightly. The only thing I actually drew are the fan/radiator rectangles and the pipes.

I am thinking of doing some tests with the black dye while I wait for the x4 cables. I don't have a spare loop to test unfortunately but I will stopper one of the new tubes and see how it looks. Will update soonish.

I am using Nigrosine (water soluable) Black Dye

Ah okay, have you tried grabcad?  If you don't use sketchup, there's a pretty big stock pile of good models, used them in a case design I did last sumer. Then use the render environment of fusion 360 before I figured out what ray tracing is. Those renders look good. 

ASU

Quick update: the water dye is very effective: 0.2g/200ml was beyond overkill and it went down to 0.2g/L before I could see any light though the miniscus when in the tubing. It is purple once it lightens up but even at 0.2g/L is so dense that even on the blocks it should be opaque.

The pictures are useless so I won't post them :(

Also, I have been toying with my fittings and discovered I ordered the EK HD fittings not the EK HDC fittings. I wish I knew at the time that the HD fittings have no compression collar! Turns out they are for short straight runs between GPUs where the pressure cant push them out. I wish the website I bought them from had said this but oh well, exchange should be easy enough.

As I said before, the pictures I took of the water are quite poor. I'll work on that but here is one that gives an idea of how black the water is @ 1g/L.

IMAG0008.jpg

nb. The image URL broke but it was not an interesting picture anyway :P

wow thats some powerfull dye xD wow 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Yeh! I was pleasantly shocked. The last thing I want is black tubes and off-black blocks but no such worries here. I even thought it might have stained the tubes but it rinsed clean, I cant even tell which tube I used :)

Turns out a 35g jar is quite a lot, so I may setup a sediment test and a corrosion test some time this weekend. ...if I can find somewhere safe to do it, I will get murdered if I spill any inside :|

The sediment test is set up but results will take time. A corrosion test may come later,

Meanwhile here is a video of the dye in action :)  

Turns out that while only 0.1g/L will blacken the tubes, my ghetto simulation suggests it will take more like 0.5g/L to make the blocks black also. This is a reasonable result and if as it passes the sediment test, it should be a solid solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, it took a while for the final parts to arrive.

I have spent all weekend gleefully building but got to the last (trickiest) connection and burned though 1.2m pipe with no suitable results! I thought I had twice what I needed and would have been right but the last one proved too devilish. I must wait for more tubes to arrive but I will take the chance to redo a couple lengths that I am not totally happy with,

On another note: The dye didn't settle or fade at all after two weeks in the Australian sun.

Finally, here is a teaser. Much more to come once it is complete:

IMAG0155-01e-01.jpg

1 hour ago, Charles Root esq. said:

I have spent all weekend gleefully building but got to the last (trickiest) connection and burned though 1.2m pipe with no suitable results! I thought I had twice what I needed and would have been right but the last one proved too devilish. I must wait for more tubes to arrive but I will take the chance to redo a couple lengths that I am not totally happy with,

On another note: The dye didn't settle or fade at all after two weeks in the Australian sun.

... [edit] Can anyone see this photo? I can only see the tag.

IMAG0155-01e-01.jpg

Nope..  No picture  here 

5 hours ago, Charles Root esq. said:

... [edit] Can anyone see this photo? I can only see the tag.

IMAG0155-01e-01.jpg

pic is broken

Builds:

Spoiler

*fixed*

i edited the LTT link with 'insert other media' linked the pic with the 'insert image url' and it seems to work.

permissions to the localhost is not being granted publically. so our forums cannot communicate with your pix host.

I simply attached the image via the normal method: uploading here and sharing, the localhost domain was added by the forums script, not me.

But, either-way, thanks :)  Will this happen the next time I try to post an image? Should I stick with linking to external sources?

easiest is to upload to our server through the drag files here or choose files. this will attach and upload to our server.

this way if your host is down, the images are still here osite. but it is limited to 2MB file sizes.

5 hours ago, Charles Root esq. said:

That is exactly what I did.

The file size is about 256kb.

Personally I upload the pictures to and external site like imgur. Then use the links from there... seems less buggy and you don't need to resize the file size.

4 hours ago, NoobCase said:

Personally I upload the pictures to and external site like imgur. Then use the links from there... seems less buggy and you don't need to resize the file size.

That is what I plan to do from now on :)

• 3 weeks later...