Is FreeNAS compatible with HP ProLiant

On 2016-08-10 at 7:12 AM, Sumsar said:

Yes, it should run quite well. However, make sure that you have 16GB RAM.

I would clarify that. @Slinky0 The amount of RAM required DIRECTLY CORRESPONDS with the HDD pool size you decide to create.

The rule of thumb for FreeNAS and ZFS is:

1GB of RAM per TB of HDD space. w/ 8GB Minimum (You can use less, but performance hits can become a real reality w/ only 4GB of RAM).

So, for example, if you intend on running an 8TB pool, you can get away with 8GB of RAM. You don't actually need 16GB of RAM unless you're doing a 14TB-16TB build. Furthermore, if your pool is larger than 16TB, then 16GB of RAM just won't cut it.

Now with that in mind, more is always better, so if you have the budget to drop a few extra GB of RAM in for future expansion, then that's fine.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 8/10/2016 at 3:48 AM, Slinky0 said:

Hi,

I was thinking about purchasing a second hand HP Proloant DL360 Generation 5 and I was wondering if I could run FreeNAS on it?

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/archives_North_America/12476_na_v11/12476_na.HTML- That's the server info.

Thanks.

Id get a newer server as these will pull lots of power and raise your powerbill by about 300 a year. These also have hardware raid so zfs wont help you much and you better off just using a linux distro and something like xfs.

Also you should get something like a dell c2100 as it has 12 3.5 drives bays, while this server has 8 2.5 bays, so storage will cost much more.