Overwatch Connectivity Issues

Go to solution Solved by marshmallowbam,

The only method i know if would be to buy a PCIE ethernet card. As for which one I have no idea, I have never encountered this issue before so I would look around on the forum for the best ethernet cards and do some research yourself on the subject. I just thought of one more method, not sure of how much help it may be in finding an underlying issue or solution but do you have an external wireless card you could plug in? if so try that to see if you get the same results. If you do it MAY be an issue with your router pushing you to the bottom of the list for signal.

Hi there, I'm fairly new to the forums here, so I will just get right into it. Recently, I've been experiencing stange connection issues resulting in my internet ping skyrocketing, propagating unplayable online gaming experiences. I've tried resetting my router and my PC many times to no success, I'm also using an ethernet cable, and as far as I know, I don't have any sort of virus conflicting with my Internet connectivity (according to Norton Internet Security). The strange thing is, is that my sister who uses the same internet, doesn't experience any sort of latency when playing Overwatch. In fact I ran a test on her rig through some in game settings and found she had less than 60ms of ping. Whereas my tests displayed ping upwards of 250ms-550ms+ ping. I even resorted to using the exact ethernet cable she had been using, only to run into the same high ping problem.. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated, thank you. 

when you're playing overwatch, is there any other network traffic going around? for example is someone streaming youtube or even netflix when you're playing? if not, try playing when your sisters playing and see if you have the same ping.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

9 minutes ago, themctipers said:

when you're playing overwatch, is there any other network traffic going around? for example is someone streaming youtube or even netflix when you're playing? if not, try playing when your sisters playing and see if you have the same ping.

Currently, when no one else is using the Internet, I experience that high ping. I just tried your suggestion and her ping was still quite low, around 70ms-90ms whereas mine was much higher.  

I'm not any good when it comes to networking. But if I may put my 2 cents into the conversation, Do you have any streaming programs open while you play? or anything that might take up bandwidth? stuff like teamviewer, vent, or skype? If you do try closing out of anything that might connect to the internet to gather information then try running the game. Let us know your results please.

Brandon Marsh

If she is getting good ping times on the same network as you its likely the ethernet cable or your ethernet adapter on your PC. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

One thing you can do to help determine if its your equipment and not just Blizzards servers, in the background, have a command prompt open and type in ping 4.2.2.2 -t and it will run a continuous ping to level 3 DNS servers. When you notice a ping/latency spike, check that to see if you have a correlating ping spike there too. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

20 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

One thing you can do to help determine if its your equipment and not just Blizzards servers, in the background, have a command prompt open and type in ping 4.2.2.2 -t and it will run a continuous ping to level 3 DNS servers. When you notice a ping/latency spike, check that to see if you have a correlating ping spike there too. 

Alright, so I jumped into a game of Overwatch, disabled as many applications as possible, and ran the command prompt. It was the first game of the day i was able to play without much latency (around 60ms). But, that didn't last, as you can see from the photo, my ping shot way back up to the 500ms+ category, and got so laggy it actually kicked me from the game.  

Just now, ATLASINCARNATE said:

Alright, so I jumped into a game of Overwatch, disabled as many applications as possible, and ran the command prompt. It was the first game of the day i was able to play without much latency (around 60ms). But, that didn't last, as you can see from the photo, my ping shot way back up to the 500ms+ category, and got so laggy it actually kicked me from the game.  

20160810_011304.jpg

Alright, try swapping ethernet cables to your router then. If that doesnt fix it, then the issue is your Ethernet on your computer. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Does it do this in any other game? if it does not i would recommend using the file repair wizard built into the bnet launcher. I apologize but that would be the extent of my knowledge for networking. if that does not help I would go with Legacy99's assumption. But that's just me.

Brandon Marsh

13 minutes ago, ATLASINCARNATE said:

Alright, I'm fairly certain it's an issue with the Ethernet on my PC, once more I swapped out ethernet cords and booted up a game other than overwatch. Same result. Just to be certain, I ran the command prompt and simply being on my desktop, I have a 500ms plus ping. I can't even load Web pages anymore, I have to use my phone to continue this thread, lol.. Alright, so how should I go about fixing the ethernet for my PC? Thanks a lot for all the help so far, everyone. 

18 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Alright, try swapping ethernet cables to your router then. If that doesnt fix it, then the issue is your Ethernet on your computer. 

Alright, I'm fairly certain it's an issue with the Ethernet on my PC, once more I swapped out ethernet cords and booted up a game other than overwatch. Same result. Just to be certain, I ran the command prompt and simply being on my desktop, I have a 500ms plus ping. I can't even load Web pages anymore, I have to use my phone to continue this thread, lol.. Alright, so how should I go about fixing the ethernet for my PC? Thanks a lot for all the help so far, everyone. 

The only method i know if would be to buy a PCIE ethernet card. As for which one I have no idea, I have never encountered this issue before so I would look around on the forum for the best ethernet cards and do some research yourself on the subject. I just thought of one more method, not sure of how much help it may be in finding an underlying issue or solution but do you have an external wireless card you could plug in? if so try that to see if you get the same results. If you do it MAY be an issue with your router pushing you to the bottom of the list for signal.

Brandon Marsh

You can try and see if there are any new drivers available from your manufacture's website. If that doesnt help, then you would likely need to buy an add in card for a new NIC. 

Here is a good one that I have that I used with my old motherboard as I had some issues with that one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106036&cm_re=Gigabit_NIC-_-33-106-036-_-Product

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

2 hours ago, marshmallowbam said:

Okay, I just ran a few tests on a wireless adapter with my PC and now I'm encountering the into the samw problems as when I was using ethernet :\ it starts up with relatively low ping, about 80ms but then it just shoots back up.. I purchased the PCIE ethernet card, although, now I'm not certain if that will help.. dang

2 hours ago, legacy99 said:

You can try and see if there are any new drivers available from your manufacture's website. If that doesnt help, then you would likely need to buy an add in card for a new NIC. 

Here is a good one that I have that I used with my old motherboard as I had some issues with that one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106036&cm_re=Gigabit_NIC-_-33-106-036-_-Product

Okay, I just ran a few tests on a wireless adapter with my PC and now I'm encountering the into the samw problems as when I was using ethernet :\ it starts up with relatively low ping, about 80ms but then it just shoots back up.. I purchased the PCIE ethernet card, although, now I'm not certain if that will help.. dang

Additionally, (oddly enough) somehow I'm actually getting lower ping with the wireless adapter. Around 325ms against the average 550ms with ethernet. 

at this point to see if it actually is your router or ethernet port look around online to increase ethernet ping times on your specific router. not actually sure if its actually possible, so i may just look like a huge idiot here. or try a different ethernet port as that one may be a low prioritized connection or the actual port on the router is going out. again i may just look like an idiot to most people buuuut. i'd give it a shot. some peices of hardware are just finicky and dont take shit off anyone. 

Brandon Marsh