1080 or wait for the 1080ti

Currently I have two GTX 680's in my pc (2GB each) and I was debating on upgrading. Currently I play on 3 1080p monitors, and in certain games 2GB of VRAM just isn't cutting it hence why I want to upgrade. But I'm not sure on which card I should go with, get a 1080 now, or wait however long for the TI version. So based on the previous generations, how long do you think it would take for the TI version to drop? Also if the 1080 is better at this point which card is better? Thanks M8's.

If your gaming at 1080p, then just get a 1080, its gonna be bottlenecked by your CPU at 1080p anyways. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just my speculation but I don't see there being a 1080Ti this round due to the lack of competition. so possibly go for the 1080 now or wait for the possibility of volta next year (or wait for AMD's Vega if you like).

Most of the cards seem to be hitting 2000-2100mhz so just go for any aftermarket card you like and that has good warranty.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD R7 5800X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO | Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO | Memory: G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 3200mhz 64GB | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra | PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w | OS Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | Games Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB | Media Drive: 2x WD Blue HDD 1TB in Raid 0 | Media Drive: 2x WD Black HDD 2TB in Raid 1 | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | Monitor 1: ASUS PB287Q UHD | Monitor 2: ASUS PG278Q WQHD

wait for 1080ti to launch and the price of 1080 will most probably drop 

3 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

If your gaming at 1080p, then just get a 1080, its gonna be bottlenecked by your CPU at 1080p anyways. 

If it were 1 monitor I'd agree, but three essentially makes the resolution 5760X1080

I'd still just get a 1080 though regardless, since we don't know when or if a 1080ti will exist

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

There probably won't be a 1080ti, as a full chip Titan is on the way. So the Titan XP becomes the 1080ti.

Just get a 1080. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Why wait on a theoretical card? No one other than Nvidia knows about that card. 

At this point, it's 1080 or stick with what you got. Cuz you'd be waiting around on a card that may not come out at all. 

I'm sure there is a 1080ti planned that I'm sure of. I reckon it will be around another 3-4 months before its out. However the 1080 and 1070 are mighty good cards. 

Just now, danrey84 said:

I'm sure there is a 1080ti planned that I'm sure of. I reckon it will be around another 3-4 months before its out. However the 1080 and 1070 are mighty good cards. 

Based on what? The complete lack of space for one? Or you wanting one?

There has only been a ti the last two series, nothing says Nvidia has to produce one. And with the Pascal Titan X being a cut down chip, that's your 1080ti. There is space for a full chip Titan, not a further cut 1080ti.

Well you make a valid point but I will stick by my theory and hunch that they will make a ti version. Can I ask a question ? why do u think this is a cut down Pascal chip. I'm interested why I think this. 

11 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

Well you make a valid point but I will stick by my theory and hunch that they will make a ti version. Can I ask a question ? why do u think this is a cut down Pascal chip. I'm interested why I think this. 

The GP102 chip is the GP100 chip with the 64bit cores removed. Or you could look at it as the GP102 is the GP104 times a half with cores disabled as that's what it is.  So all Nvidia has to do, and it's what they're working on right now, is produce the full GP100 chip with only 32bit cores and you have the full Pascal Titan GPU that uses HBM2. And Nvidia is working on just that. 

Nvidia is going to sell GP102 for $1,200 for as long as they can. The 980 Ti only existed because the Fury X did—they released on practically the same day. A 1080 Ti may come, but it won't be anytime soon.

3 minutes ago, typographie said:

Nvidia is going to sell GP102 for $1,200 for as long as they can. The 980 Ti only existed because the Fury X did—they released on practically the same day. A 1080 Ti may come, but it won't be anytime soon.

The 980ti hurt the Titans image. No way Nvidia would further harm it with a 1080ti that performed like a Pascal Titan X. Once AMD launches Vega, Nvidia will show its cards and launch the next Titan and drop the price on the Titan XP to a 1000us or a little under. That way the image of the Titan remains but they counter AMD's launch. 

Well it will be intriguing as too when and if they release a 1080ti. 1 thing that does make me think there will be 1 is Nvidia CEO stated that the 1080 was not to replace the 980ti. So if that is the case , what will replace the 980ti then. As what made the 980ti such a hit was titan performance at like 2/3 the price. I hope there is a Ti but if there isn't then a Titan it is. 

Unless I'm mistaken on release date, with Volta not scheduled until 2018, it's almost assured that Nvidia will release a 1080ti in 2017 to compete with Vega. So, I wouldn't expect the 1080ti to come out until next year.

CPU: Intel 4790k Cooler: Corsair h100i Mobo: ASUS Z97-A RAM: Corsair 16GB Vengeance 1866 GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 Storage: Crucial mx100 512GB & x3 2TB HDDs Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl PSU: Seasonic SSR-650RM Monitors: Acer XB271HU and Asus VG236 Keyboard: Corsair Gaming k70 RGB Mouse: Cyborg RAT 7 Headset: Sennheiser 558 + Antlion ModMic 4.0 Speakers: Harmon Kardon Soundsticks

3 minutes ago, Badly Browned said:

Unless I'm mistaken on release date, with Volta not scheduled until 2018, it's almost assured that Nvidia will release a 1080ti in 2017 to compete with Vega. So, I wouldn't expect the 1080ti to come out until next year.

Volta is 2017. 

18 minutes ago, App4that said:

Volta is 2017. 

Ah ok, I missed that bit of news. 

Still, I would be surprised to see GeForce Volta cards before Q4 2017. 

Then again, I didn't expect Titan X(Pascal) in early August either...

CPU: Intel 4790k Cooler: Corsair h100i Mobo: ASUS Z97-A RAM: Corsair 16GB Vengeance 1866 GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 Storage: Crucial mx100 512GB & x3 2TB HDDs Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl PSU: Seasonic SSR-650RM Monitors: Acer XB271HU and Asus VG236 Keyboard: Corsair Gaming k70 RGB Mouse: Cyborg RAT 7 Headset: Sennheiser 558 + Antlion ModMic 4.0 Speakers: Harmon Kardon Soundsticks

Edit: Ooops, duplicate post

Edited by Badly Browned

1 hour ago, Badly Browned said:

Ah ok, I missed that bit of news. 

Still, I would be surprised to see GeForce Volta cards before Q4 2017. 

Then again, I didn't expect Titan X(Pascal) in early August either...

That's why I'm not buying Pascal. Pascal is just a smaller Maxwell. No way Nvidia could produce it once the new APIs are standard. Volta will be that architecture for Nvidia. 

8 minutes ago, App4that said:

That's why I'm not buying Pascal. Pascal is just a smaller Maxwell. No way Nvidia could produce it once the new APIs are standard. Volta will be that architecture for Nvidia. 

It's a bit more than that, but I get your point.  You don't even sound like the same guy that was posting stuff several days ago.  O.o:D

5 hours ago, done12many2 said:

It's a bit more than that, but I get your point.  You don't even sound like the same guy that was posting stuff several days ago.  O.o:D

The benefit of not being a fixed mindset xD 

Got a look at some new information. Nvidia knows the position they're in, but they really don't have a choice. Why they're bringing out everything they have. 

14 hours ago, zombieaays2suck said:

Currently I have two GTX 680's in my pc (2GB each) and I was debating on upgrading. Currently I play on 3 1080p monitors, and in certain games 2GB of VRAM just isn't cutting it hence why I want to upgrade. But I'm not sure on which card I should go with, get a 1080 now, or wait however long for the TI version. So based on the previous generations, how long do you think it would take for the TI version to drop? Also if the 1080 is better at this point which card is better? Thanks M8's.

It would be good to know the rest of your system specs. For all we know, you're thinking about getting a 1080 for an APU.

3 hours ago, App4that said:

The benefit of not being a fixed mindset xD 

Got a look at some new information. Nvidia knows the position they're in, but they really don't have a choice. Why they're bringing out everything they have. 

You seem quite adamant in your predictions, though. If I might ask...

We've had two x80-ti cards so far, one of them was the full-fat chip to the cut-down Titan and one was the cut-down chip to the full-fat Titan. Why do you think the 1080 ti couldn't be the full-fat chip? And why do you seem so sure that there's going to be another Titan?

I don't think I've asked you those specific questions before, I'm trying not to make this an unchanging repetitious discussion~

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

If there will be a 1080ti (I have doubted it since pascal release) it will be like $900 - $1,000. 

I would rather deal with SLI 1070's than that. I'd rather just have a single 1080. 

16 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

It would be good to know the rest of your system specs. For all we know, you're thinking about getting a 1080 for an APU.

You seem quite adamant in your predictions, though. If I might ask...

We've had two x80-ti cards so far, one of them was the full-fat chip to the cut-down Titan and one was the cut-down chip to the full-fat Titan. Why do you think the 1080 ti couldn't be the full-fat chip? And why do you seem to sure that there's going to be another Titan?

I don't think I've asked you those specific questions before, I'm trying not to make this an unchanging repetitious discussion~

Currently I have 16GB of ram at 1866, an i7 3770k at 4.5ghz, 2 ssd's (one boot one for games) 1200w psu l.

21 minutes ago, zombieaays2suck said:

Currently I have 16GB of ram at 1866, an i7 3770k at 4.5ghz, 2 ssd's (one boot one for games) 1200w psu l.

Seems like you could support a 1080, though at 1080p you'd still probably be bottlenecking it. (It would take a lot not to).

Either way, I highly suggest you wait. Not necessarily for a 1080 ti or a Titan X Black (-Blacker than Black-), but rather for the market madness to settle. MSRP is meaningless right now. I wouldn't buy one until we see the flagship cards, like the Kingpin and the Lightning. 

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.