1080 or wait for the 1080ti

34 minutes ago, zombieaays2suck said:

Currently I have 16GB of ram at 1866, an i7 3770k at 4.5ghz, 2 ssd's (one boot one for games) 1200w psu l.

way more worthwhile to upgrade monitors at that rate. 

1 hour ago, Dash Lambda said:

It would be good to know the rest of your system specs. For all we know, you're thinking about getting a 1080 for an APU.

You seem quite adamant in your predictions, though. If I might ask...

We've had two x80-ti cards so far, one of them was the full-fat chip to the cut-down Titan and one was the cut-down chip to the full-fat Titan. Why do you think the 1080 ti couldn't be the full-fat chip? And why do you seem to sure that there's going to be another Titan?

I don't think I've asked you those specific questions before, I'm trying not to make this an unchanging repetitious discussion~

It's easy actually. I've been shown proof Nvidia is working on a full chip Pascal Titan. It's main benefit will be the use of HBM2 but it will carry a little extra performance. I'm not saying it's impossible that Nvidia would sell a pascal Titan X rebranded as a 1080ti, but why? Only reason I could think of is to offer the board partners a chance at it. But how does than help Nvidia? Unless AMD places pressure on them they can sell the Titans as fast as they make them. Same with the 1080. The next Titan is set to launch along side Vega. If Nvidia launched a 900-1000 dollar version of the Pascal Titan X along side the new Titan expected to be around 1500us, how exactly could they sell many of the new Titan?

Everyone is looking at this from their perspective, not Nvidia's. To make an accurate prediction you have to ask what's best for Nvidia. Like launching the Pascal Titan that lacks HBM2 months before any competition. That's what's best for Nvidia and why it happened.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 hour ago, App4that said:

It's easy actually. I've been shown proof Nvidia is working on a full chip Pascal Titan. It's main benefit will be the use of HBM2 but it will carry a little extra performance. I'm not saying it's impossible that Nvidia would sell a pascal Titan X rebranded as a 1080ti, but why? Only reason I could think of is to offer the board partners a chance at it. But how does than help Nvidia? Unless AMD places pressure on them they can sell the Titans as fast as they make them. Same with the 1080. The next Titan is set to launch along side Vega. If Nvidia launched a 900-1000 dollar version of the Pascal Titan X along side the new Titan expected to be around 1500us, how exactly could they sell many of the new Titan?

Everyone is looking at this from their perspective, not Nvidia's. To make an accurate prediction you have to ask what's best for Nvidia. Like launching the Pascal Titan that lacks HBM2 months before any competition. That's what's best for Nvidia and why it happened.

I assume this proof is confidential? 'Cause information you can't share can't convince anyone...

Either way, I agree that Nvidia isn't going to release the 1080 ti if AMD sits on their asses. From what I've seen, Nvidia's in a comfortable place where they have products at the ready to counter AMD. They come out first with their high-profit-margin luxury cards and then they wait for AMD to challenge them, then they try to one-up AMD with all the tricks they keep up their sleeve. If AMD does nothing, I have no idea what we'll see -But if AMD competes with the Pascal high end, I'd bet on a full-fat 1080 ti.

EDIT: I just realized that I've said a very similar thing before. I hate being a broken record...

I'll add this: I also expect AMD to compete because that's what's happened for a while. they seem to be putting a lot of R&D into their coming product lines, so they're probably aiming pretty high.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.