Am I OK with the I3 6100 Stock Cooler?

Terobich
Go to solution Solved by ForsakenLive,

The Stock cooler (and the paste that comes with it) is made to safely ensure your CPU will work under the correct temperatures (unless you have a fully closed case or a case with LOTS of dirt, or you have a very high ambient temperature (35+°C), then it will work without problems, even the stock cooler that comes with the i7 CPUs is meant to cool it properly.

However it's not meant to be very quiet or keep the temps chilly, it will keep them on what intel believes is on safe numbers.

Hi, I'm buying a gamer PC, but i'm in a low budget. This is my build up: I3 6100, ASUS GTX 960 4GB Strix,

ASUS H110M-A/DP DDR4, 8GB Kingston Hyper X DDR4 at 2133 Mhz, EVGA 500W PW, 64 GB SSD, WD 1TB at 7200 rpm. 

I've read that this GPU, is excellent in the cooling aspect. I don't mind the temperature as long as it doesn't go beyond 80ºC, so... Is it really necessary a CPU Cooler?, and if it isn't, should I buy external thermal paste?

Thanks BTW :) 

You don't need thermal paste or another cooler, the intel stock cooler should be more than enough as i3's have a very low tdp and the cooler is good enough for i5/i7 most of the time

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Short answer, no. Skylake i3's run quite cool to begin with and the stock cooler should keep it below 60-65*C with not much noise. As for that 960 model, yes it's one of the best coolers for that card. Will run cool and quiet, and you should be able to play just about anything at reasonable settings with that rig.

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

The Stock cooler (and the paste that comes with it) is made to safely ensure your CPU will work under the correct temperatures (unless you have a fully closed case or a case with LOTS of dirt, or you have a very high ambient temperature (35+°C), then it will work without problems, even the stock cooler that comes with the i7 CPUs is meant to cool it properly.

However it's not meant to be very quiet or keep the temps chilly, it will keep them on what intel believes is on safe numbers.

My i3 ran 90C while running at 1.32v and 4.3GHz on stock cooling, it only ever hit 90C during GTA V lol.

With no OC, 80C max.

Also for the GPU, why not something like a RX 470?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

The 6100 is okay with stock cooler

But if you can afford a cheap air CPU cooler, why not?

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

3 minutes ago, GarnetDevil said:

Because money. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

My i3 ran 90C while running at 1.32v and 4.3GHz on stock cooling, it only ever hit 90C during GTA V lol.

With no OC, 80C max.

Also for the GPU, why not something like a RX 470?

low budget xD

4 minutes ago, Terobich said:

low budget xD

The 470 should be the same price as a 969, even then an R9 380, same price, is also better.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

Just now, DarkBlade2117 said:

The 470 should be the same price as a 969, even then an R9 380, same price, is also better.

i live in mexico, so importation costs and taxes

8 minutes ago, Terobich said:

i live in mexico, so importation costs and taxes

What's the difference in taxes and importation cost of 2 products, that cost very similar, and with within ounces of each other?

look, mexicos government is very corrupt, so they do whatever possible to earn a little bit more money. anyways, the cheapest r9 380 i found was in about $310, and the GTX was in $210

4 hours ago, GarnetDevil said:

The 6100 is okay with stock cooler

He could save it for more RAM, SSD or some other future upgrade. Even locked i5s are fine with stock. And noise isn't that bad either.

1 hour ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

What's the difference in taxes and importation cost of 2 products, that cost very similar, and with within ounces of each other?

In US maybe. But if OP can get something from local retailers, thats better than importing anything. With warranty and all that. Maybe look how much it would cost to import something from Europe or Canada and you understand this better.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

You'd be surprised. 

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.