Editing/Gaming Rig

GigaBite

My current PC is able to run everything I need at acceptable levels, but scrubbing through video is a pain, streaming often chugs, and I can't really record good looking gameplay from the computer itself.

SO I've tried to create a baller PC that's realistically obtainable within the next 1-3 years of saving, and fixes all my woes.
I've done a lot of checking in terms of component compatibility but I might have slipped somewhere so I'd like your help and your opinions.

Case: Mastercase Maker 5 $170.09
MoBo: ASUS Z170-A  $154.99
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k $389.99
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 32GB (4 x 8GB) $139.99
Memory: Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB SSD $349.99
WD Black 5TB HDD $358.99
GPUS: 2 EVGA GeForce 1080 FTW $679.99 x2
EVGA Pro SLI Bridge V2 (2-Way) $29.99 
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 80+ Gold 750W Fully Modular Powersupply $119.99
Cooling: Cooler Master Nepton 240M All-in-One With Radiator and Fans $299.99
2 Noctua NF-A14 144mm Bearing Fans $26.25 x2

Total Cost: $3010.71

I also plan on adding a 144hz monitor and an Elgato HD60 Pro to it, but since those are pretty self explanatory I left them out.
Since this is a long term plan the cost of the build isn't really a problem.
Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, GigaBite said:

- SNIP -

Long term (1-3 years like you said), there will be new parts and better buys. Planning a build 1-3 years in advance isn't exactly the best idea. Otherwise, the build looks pretty good.

15 minutes ago, GigaBite said:

My current PC is able to run everything I need at acceptable levels, but scrubbing through video is a pain, streaming often chugs, and I can't really record good looking gameplay from the computer itself.

SO I've tried to create a baller PC that's realistically obtainable within the next 1-3 years of saving, and fixes all my woes.
I've done a lot of checking in terms of component compatibility but I might have slipped somewhere so I'd like your help and your opinions.

Case: Mastercase Maker 5 $170.09
MoBo: ASUS Z170-A  $154.99
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k $389.99
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 32GB (4 x 8GB) $139.99
Memory: Samsung 950 Pro M.2 521GB SSD $349.99
WD Black 5TB HDD $358.99
GPUS: 2 EVGA GeForce 1080 FTW $679.99 x2
EVGA Pro SLI Bridge V2 (2-Way) $29.99 
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 80+ Gold 750W Fully Modular Powersupply $119.99
Cooling: Cooler Master Nepton 240M All-in-One With Radiator and Fans $299.99
2 Noctua NF-A14 144mm Bearing Fans $26.25 x2

Total Cost: $3010.71

I also plan on adding a 144hz monitor and an Elgato HD60 Pro to it, but since those are pretty self explanatory I left them out.
Since this is a long term plan the cost of the build isn't really a problem.
Thoughts?

I would suggest not planning so far ahead. The tech word changes so quickly. Also, there is no reason to spend 300 USD on that cooler. None at all. 

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

13 hours ago, GigaBite said:

~snip~

Hi there :)

The PC that you have planned looks quite powerful and should be able to tackle pretty much anything you throw at it. 

Could you elaborate more on the purpose of the build? Any specific applications or games and settings that you are after? 

That amount of RAM can be an overkill for many types of usage. 

The two GPUs are also overkill for many types of games and other usages. 

I like the storage configuration, but since you have a rather large SSD you may consider WD Blue as a storage solution or consider having a level of redundancy with two WD Red drives in RAID1 in your system.  

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

14 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hi there :)

The PC that you have planned looks quite powerful and should be able to tackle pretty much anything you throw at it. 

Could you elaborate more on the purpose of the build? Any specific applications or games and settings that you are after? 

That amount of RAM can be an overkill for many types of usage. 

The two GPUs are also overkill for many types of games and other usages. 

I like the storage configuration, but since you have a rather large SSD you may consider WD Blue as a storage solution or consider having a level of redundancy with two WD Red drives in RAID1 in your system.  

Captain_WD.

Thanks for the info about the drives, the PC would be for Video Editing, Streaming, Recording, and sort of No Compromise/Competitive Gaming. 
I'd like to run AAA titles at 1080p or 1440p at above 144fps.
Which kind of drive configuration would be the best for safely backing up large video files?
Thank you

[EDIT] I should have mentioned I also run a 2 monitor rig, and might upgrade to a 3 monitor rig

On 8/8/2016 at 2:57 PM, TheGhzGuy said:

I would suggest not planning so far ahead. The tech word changes so quickly. Also, there is no reason to spend 300 USD on that cooler. None at all. 

What would you suggest I replace it with?

12 minutes ago, GigaBite said:

What would you suggest I replace it with?

If you believe you need liquid cooling,

Corsair H100i GTX: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MBmxFT/corsair-cpu-cooler-cw9060021ww (1/3rd of the cost).

Also, if editing is more important to you thangaming, how about going with an LGA 2011 setup? 

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/RddmkT
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/RddmkT/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($409.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($96.99 @ Best Buy) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($193.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($317.99 @ B&H) 
Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($169.99 @ Adorama) 
Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($169.99 @ Adorama) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($629.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($629.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition w/ Window ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $2948.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-09 18:35 EDT-0400

I don't believe I forgot anything, if you really like the case, using it doesn't make a difference, but the Define R5 is a great alternative nonetheless. 

You need the HB sli bridge too, I don't know where to get that in pcp from though. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

12 hours ago, GigaBite said:

~snip~

For backups you should consider having a second storage place that's not constantly connected to your computer and definitely not connected to the motherboard as otherwise you would be prone to data loss due to power outages, power shortage and other physical damage. 

You could consider adding another drive to your system for redundancy and either pairing them in RAID1 or configure continuous backup but that would only grant you redundancy.

Another option would be to have an external drive and perform manual backups on a hourly/daily/weekly basis and then store it elsewhere.

Yet another option is to have a NAS such as WD My Cloud and have a backup application backing up your data to it either continuously or scheduled. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/