Is it illegal to download/crack a copy of a game that you already own?

ace_cheaply

I have been trying to finish Far Cry 4, but a few days ago the game broke, and now it won't save, and it freezes anytime I die on a mission. So basically, I need to beat the game without dying to actually progress through it. I have contacted Ubisoft support, and they've been totally useless, telling me to reinstall the game (I have, three times already, along with uplay entirely twice) and to reset my router :( .  I've tried all of the fixes i've found on forums like running in administrator mode, turning off read only in the game launcher, turning off cloud saves, verifying files, turning off soft shadows and everything else I can come across. I tried starting a new game, and it freezes if I die on the first mission, and if i try to save and quit it says "you cannot quit while an autosave is in progress."  

So, I was wondering, can you download a copy of a game you purchased legally, if the game doesn't function and a version does?  What's your thoughts on the matter?

Proof that I own the game:

ubis.PNG

Technically yes, since the illegal act is modifying or aquiring modified software against the licensing, the act of avoiding drm is considered piracy/infringement whether you own it or not

Though the odds of you getting caught are similar to 0%

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Downloading isn't illegal in lots of countries, uploading is illegal.

Technically, it's still illegal to use files that were changed from their original state (had bytes inside them changed, what a crack does).

However, since you're not causing any monetary loss to the company that made the game (you already bought the game legally) and you're not affecting other players (if you're not in multiplayer modes), and you're not giving this pirated copy to other people (causing financial loss) I would argue that it's not illegal to do what you want to do and you should just go ahead. Just make sure you check he files with antivirus programs or sites like virustotal.com

12 hours ago, ace_cheaply said:

-snip-

Software, yes. Circumventing security measures may be a violation of the ToS/license agreement for the game and possibly the DCMA (in the US). Nothing is stopping you from doing it though.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

What's illegal is the act of distributing a game without permission (the sites) and the act of reverse engineering or modifying the software (Rockstar should have some recent lawsuits based on this) without the rights to.

Basically, the only trouble you'd get into is if your ISP reported you for using torrent sites (like Comcast might or throttle you). But I don't think Ubisoft has ever gone after people, and you could always get permission from their support team. :P

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Technically, it's still illegal to use files that were changed from their original state (had bytes inside them changed, what a crack does).

However, since you're not causing any monetary loss to the company that made the game (you already bought the game legally) and you're not affecting other players (if you're not in multiplayer modes), and you're not giving this pirated copy to other people (causing financial loss) I would argue that it's not illegal to do what you want to do and you should just go ahead. Just make sure you check he files with antivirus programs or sites like virustotal.com

I think instead of illegal you meant morally. If the country your in has laws in place like the US has in regards to tampering with software, it's still illegal regardless of what you may think.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

5 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Technically yes, since the illegal act is modifying or aquiring modified software against the licensing, the act of avoiding drm is considered piracy/infringement whether you own it or not

Though the odds of you getting caught are similar to 0%

Just now, Emart1028 said:

If you do get a vpn.

That sucks. They should actually put out a useable product if they don't wan't people to buypass it.

I do have PIA vpn,

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

However, since you're not causing any monetary loss to the company that made the game (you already bought the game legally) and you're not affecting other players (if you're not in multiplayer modes), I would argue that it's not illegal to do what you want to do and you should just go ahead. Just make sure you check he files with antivirus programs or sites like virustotal.com

I'll download avast or something.   I'll have to do some research, but that was the best free anit virus a few years ago. Don't know about now, i just have microsoft defender and use myself as an antivirus, lol. 

11 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Wait is this just occurring right after the big windows 10 update? If so you are not the only one with uplay issues as a result

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, MaxBunny said:

What's illegal is the act of distributing a game without permission (the sites) and the act of reverse engineering or modifying the software (Rockstar should have some recent lawsuits based on this) without the rights to.

Basically, the only trouble you'd get into is if your ISP reported you for using torrent sites (like Comcast might or throttle you). But I don't think Ubisoft has ever gone after people, and you could always get permission from their support team. :P

Lol,  "Hey Ubisoft, mind if I crack Far Cry 4 since you guys suck so hard?"   

"Sure, bud, go ahead, we know we suck."

I'll have to do some research, but that was the best free anit virus a few years ago. Don't know about now, i just have microsoft defender and use myself as an antivirus, lol. 

I personally use Avira Free Antivirus, seems less nagging (just one tiny banner in the bottom right corner once every few days which can be easily closed) and fast.

Virustotal is really cool, you can just open the site, drag a file on the form and click scan and it will scan it with over 20-30 antivirus programs.

Just now, AresKrieger said:

Wait is this just occurring right after the big windows 10 update? If so you are not the only one with uplay issues as a result

It did happen right after the update, but only after I had reverted back to the previous build because the update broke most of my apps.  I am back to pre-update, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled everything from scratch 3 times (twice for uplay app).

IIRC I helped a guy out with a similar issue a few weeks/month back. Fix was to downclock his graphics card.I think this was for Farcry anyways... 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Bypassing DRM is illegal in the sense of sharing/downloading however some developers have issued DRM removers for retail editions(ex: No-CD for modern PCs which lack drives, Starforce DRM remover, etc) so it depends upon the distro channel. Generally if you want to avoid DRM woes you'll want either Amazon Digital Downloads(non-Steam, non-Ubi Online, & non-Origin) or GOG.

Ubisoft games are bug prone may it be hardware or a recent software update to Windows and the older the game becomes they just don't bother maintaining anything. I had a game which hated x64 Vista/7 so you had to dual-boot a 32-bit OS, wouldn't be shocked if the issue started with a recent Windows 10 update as Microsoft seems to break a boatload of legacy code/functions and waiting for a bug fix might be a week or two if you're lucky. Anniversary Update broke Rocksmith 2014 under Windows 10 x64, been stuck using Windows 7 *mumbles*

1 minute ago, ace_cheaply said:

That sucks. They should actually put out a useable product if they don't wan't people to buypass it.

I do have PIA vpn,

I'll download avast or something.   I'll have to do some research, but that was the best free anit virus a few years ago. Don't know about now, i just have microsoft defender and use myself as an antivirus, lol. 

I agree with you wholeheartedly on this. It's why I give CD Projekt RED so much respect (as does the pirating community). Awesome product, no DRM, millions in sales all because they respected their user. The legal arguement though is that they have to protect their IP, blah blah. Same old song and dance.

2 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Avast sucks big, fat, hairy, sweaty donkey balls. I prefer Comodo Internet Security and the free versions of Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware.

1 minute ago, ace_cheaply said:

Lol,  "Hey Ubisoft, mind if I crack Far Cry 4 since you guys suck so hard?"   

"Sure, bud, go ahead, we know we suck."

More like "none of that worked. can I download a cracked copy and see if that works? :( "

if it's not a legal copy of far cry three, regardless of how you justify it by saying you have one, it's illegal to use it

That being said if you're really worried about being caught just download it, then go into offline mode

Shipping sucks

Just now, ace_cheaply said:

It did happen right after the update, but only after I had reverted back to the previous build because the update broke most of my apps.  I am back to pre-update, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled everything from scratch 3 times (twice for uplay app).

Hmmm the plot thickens, yeah I don't know any potential fixes to that besides cracking, and personally I'm all for sticking it to Ubisoft but forum rules and what not, though if the software no longer works legally you may be allowed to fix it, kinda like how abandoned software has less protections than software still on the market

12 hours ago, GSTARR said:

if it's not a legal copy of far cry three, regardless of how you justify it by saying you have one, it's illegal to use it

That being said if you're really worried about being caught just download it, then go into offline mode

Well, if Far Cry 4 would actually work i wouldn't have this dilemma. I paid for it, and it doesn't work,  Am I supposed to just be satisfied with a broken product?

I never said I was worried about it. I was genuinely curious about the law.  Now I know it is still illegal, unless I do this:

12 hours ago, MaxBunny said:

Avast sucks big, fat, hairy, sweaty donkey balls. I prefer Comodo Internet Security and the free versions of Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware.

More like "none of that worked. can I download a cracked copy and see if that works? :( "

Also, I'll check those out, thanks for the tips!

12 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Hmmm the plot thickens, yeah I don't know any potential fixes to that besides cracking, and personally I'm all for sticking it to Ubisoft but forum rules and what not, though if the software no longer works legally you may be allowed to fix it, kinda like how abandoned software has less protections than software still on the market

Yeah, I thought that there was leeway in the law for products that were legitimately broken. 

Yeah, I thought that there was leeway in the law for products that were legitimately broken. 

There is some leeway but it's in the form a legal defense, for instance you can dance around copyright law via fair use but you can still be brought to court over the issue, fair use would just be your reasoning of why you plea not guilty, kinda like how self defense works.

11 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

There is some leeway but it's in the form a legal defense, for instance you can dance around copyright law via fair use but you can still be brought to court over the issue, fair use would just be your reasoning of why you plea not guilty, kinda like how self defense works.

Thank Lord GabeN for Private Internet Access. I uploaded my msinfo32 file along my driver info to tech support, so maybe they'll get back to me sometime soon and it'll all be fixed. Although given that "reset your router" was some of the advice, I'm not optimistic.  

12 hours ago, legacy99 said:

IIRC I helped a guy out with a similar issue a few weeks/month back. Fix was to downclock his graphics card.I think this was for Farcry anyways... 

It was never a problem before with my 1070.  But I'll set it to stock and see if that lets me save. 

It was never a problem before with my 1070.  But I'll set it to stock and see if that lets me save. 

Try it underclocked like 100mhz and see. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

50 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Try it underclocked like 100mhz and see. 

No go. 

:( it may have been a diff game. My bad. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

3 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

:( it may have been a diff game. My bad. 

No worries mate, thanks for the tip. I'm looking to try anything to fix it right now.  :)