Swapping Motherboards with OEM Windows 7

So, yeah. Just as the title says, I'll be swapping motherboards and processors very soon, like later today soon. Sadly, this computer was a prebuilt originally, I've just upgraded it in some places. I know I should feel bad and whatever else, but back when I bought this PC I wasn't confident enough to build one. Since then I've built my family a computer and it's working just fine, so I guess you could say I made up for it there.

Enough of my rambling, I want to know if I'll have to reinstall windows for the new motherboard + processor. I don't really have a spare drive at the moment. I could buy one, but I want to wait until I have enough for a large SSD. So, are there any other options?

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

no, just put in new cpu/mobo attach drives and install new drivers for new mobo.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

it really depends if motherboard using SLIC to active os or not

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

no, just put in new cpu/mobo attach drives and install new drivers for new mobo.

I'll probably have to call Microsoft so I can reactivate it, though. Right?

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

You know I'm not sure, I forgot about the whole OEM thing, I've done it twice but they were both non-OEM PC's. Idk if it's the same or not with OEM machines.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

You know I'm not sure, I forgot about the whole OEM thing, I've done it twice but they were both non-OEM PC's. Idk if it's the same or not with OEM machines.

Guess I'll just have to try it out and see what happens. If I can't get it reactivated I honestly don't care, though. I'm fine with a black background. And either way I can buy a key somewhere if I want to.

Project MiniConsole

Guess I'll just have to try it out and see what happens. If I can't get it reactivated I honestly don't care, though. I'm fine with a black background. And either way I can buy a key somewhere if I want to.

You should have to make the call to activate. They used to have a "System Builder" option that would allow you to skip that step. OEM windows refers to something else.

And my official recommendation is to reinstall Windows after swapping motherboards. Any driver conflict has the potential to cause headaches down the road. You're better safe than sorry, in my opinion. (Not that anything is likely to explode)

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

You should have to make the call to activate. They used to have a "System Builder" option that would allow you to skip that step. OEM windows refers to something else.

And my official recommendation is to reinstall Windows after swapping motherboards. Any driver conflict has the potential to cause headaches down the road. You're better safe than sorry, in my opinion. (Not that anything is likely to explode)

Yeah, I do agree with you it would be better to just start fresh with a new install of windows. Maybe I'll try to suck it up and splurge on a 500GB SSD.

Project MiniConsole

Yeah, I do agree with you it would be better to just start fresh with a new install of windows. Maybe I'll try to suck it up and splurge on a 500GB SSD.

I'm sure you won't regret it. I think of reformats as standard maintenance on a computer. It's nice to keep things fresh. If you keep a folder with all your necessary (and updated) drivers and get a pack of programs from Ninite, reformats start going very quickly :)

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Is OEM branded or not? Thats biggest issue in that department. Non-branded OEM works as retail. I just recently changed mobo and it reactivated just nice. No phone call was needed.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I'm sure you won't regret it. I think of reformats as standard maintenance on a computer. It's nice to keep things fresh. If you keep a folder with all your necessary (and updated) drivers and get a pack of programs from Ninite, reformats start going very quickly :)

Well just started it up for the first time with the new motherboard, getting bsod every time. Looks like I need a new installation of Windows. I guess I'll splurge on a SSD.

@LoGiCalDrm Yes, it's OEM Branded.

EDIT: Forgot I installed Windows 8 a while ago to try it out, looks like it works. Doesn't solve my problem but at least I can access my computer.

Project MiniConsole

Even if you reinstall the OS with that key you will likely have to call M$ to activate the OS, it takes  less than a minute after you get connected .

Even if you reinstall the OS with that key you will likely have to call M$ to activate the OS, it takes  less than a minute after you get connected .

Well I can't even get into the OS. Tried booting with safe mode as well, but it didn't help. I'm having to use my Windows 8 partition right now.

Project MiniConsole

Yes, it's OEM Branded.

EDIT: Forgot I installed Windows 8 a while ago to try it out, looks like it works. Doesn't solve my problem but at least I can access my computer.

I meant have yopu bought it as OEM lisence or did it come with made pc (HP,Dell etc.).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I meant have yopu bought it as OEM lisence or did it come with made pc (HP,Dell etc.).

Came with PC. Opening computer properties shows the manufacturer's branding. 

Also, apparently Windows 8 has this "feature" where it will shut off every hour if your version isn't validated... So I decided to just run Ubuntu off a USB stick for now. 

Project MiniConsole

Came with PC. Opening computer properties shows the manufacturer's branding. 

Also, apparently Windows 8 has this "feature" where it will shut off every hour if your version isn't validated... So I decided to just run Ubuntu off a USB stick for now. 

Then you'll may have trouble activating it. I can't say anything for sure with branded ones. But non-branded work fine in different mobos.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Then you'll may have trouble activating it. I can't say anything for sure with branded ones. But non-branded work fine in different mobos.

Hopefully I can convince Microsoft to allow my key to work again. If not I guess I'll buy one somewhere.

Project MiniConsole

yes , i've used the automated phone activation for OEM windows over 100 times and never had any issue.