Good Linux Distro for someone with some experience

On 06/08/2016 at 0:30 PM, manikyath said:

its downloading ~360MB worth of data for installing ksysguard, i think its trying to install KDE just so i can have A FRIKKIN TASK MANAGER...

(not to mention they dont ship one by default, and yes i purposely picked ksysguard to see how bad elementary would derp out trying to install it)

EDIT: sending shutdown singal logs you out instead of shutting the system down. i dont have to tell you how backwards that is, right?

Why on earth would it log you out?!

On 06/08/2016 at 0:22 PM, manikyath said:

1baa3fe408.jpg

i'm announcing a full stop on elementary OS from my part...

last time i had this was a live cd on a 10 year old system, not a fresh install on a VM, AFTER installing guest additions.

(btw, before guest additions it ran like a complete slug...)

EDIT: it *still* runs like a complete slug, just now my mouse doesnt feel like a jar of mayonnaise.

What CPU do you have, it's running fine for me in a VM with no VMWare guest additions, I have an i5-6500.

Just now, bugs399 said:

What CPU do you have, it's running fine for me in a VM with no VMWare guest additions, I have an i5-6500.

i7 4790k, with the vm set to dualcore, as recommended on their specs page ;)

On 06/08/2016 at 1:07 PM, manikyath said:

I have it at 1 Core and 4GB of Ram, I'll probably change it to Dual Core then.

elementary.png

On 06/08/2016 at 1:07 PM, manikyath said:

Just tried elementary and I hated it at first sight, the UI is stupid and I feel like it's missing something, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Just now, bugs399 said:

Just tried elementary and I hated it at first sight, the UI is stupid and I feel like it's missing something, but I haven't figured it out yet.

its missing everything..

it looks as basic as the lubuntu install i had on a server that caught fire (which used about ~200MB ram, and 1% cpu on an athlon 64)

and it runs like a bloated up kubuntu install with ALL the gadgets :P

On 06/08/2016 at 1:18 PM, manikyath said:

its missing everything..

it looks as basic as the lubuntu install i had on a server that caught fire (which used about ~200MB ram, and 1% cpu on an athlon 64)

and it runs like a bloated up kubuntu install with ALL the gadgets :P

Yeah, I have Lubuntu running on an Athlon 64 X2 using 1%, but elementary doesn't run well comparatively to other distros on my CPU. (and in a 1-core 4GB VM)

On 06/08/2016 at 11:32 AM, steezemageeze said:

You'll pick it up really quickly. For OpenSUSE, the commands are, "zypper in" for install, "zypper up" for update, "zypper rm" to remove a package. SUSE has a cheatsheat on their website somewhere, I'll try to find it for you and link it

EDIT: Zypper Cheat Sheet

I got a corrupted download, the sha256 was way different :(

2 minutes ago, bugs399 said:

I got a corrupted download, the sha256 was way different :(

Really? That's surprising. Did you download the DVD or the Network Installation?

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

Just now, steezemageeze said:

Really? That's surprising. Did you download the DVD or the Network Installation?

DVD, I'm on Bell in Canada. All of the ISP's in Canada where I live are notoriously bad.

1 minute ago, bugs399 said:

DVD, I'm on Bell in Canada. All of the ISP's in Canada where I live are notoriously bad.

Maybe try the Network Install. It should be a much smaller ISO as far as I know.

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

1 minute ago, steezemageeze said:

Maybe try the Network Install. It should be a much smaller ISO as far as I know.

I would prefer to download it while I can use my PC, plus it's about half done already. This is the first time it's happened to me anyways.

5 hours ago, bugs399 said:

Purchase! This is blasphemy!

Just a little bit of a rant here, free doesn't always mean for no money, the real purpose here is that it is "libre" as in you can change and do what you like with it. This is the kind of thing that gives the linux community a bad name and fuel for the like of Valve to come out and say there is no money in porting games to linux because they pay for nothing.

5 hours ago, steezemageeze said:

I also have a Surface Pro 1, which of these do you reccomend for all-round performance and battery life? (With tlp of course)

2 hours ago, bugs399 said:

I also have a Surface Pro 1, which of these do you reccomend for all-round performance and battery life? (With tlp of course)

Oh man, I don't know about the SP1. Don't you need special touchscreen drivers and a custom compiled kernel for that? 

But what do you mean, "these"? The network/DVD install? Or desktop environments? I lost you , sorry.

16 hours ago, steezemageeze said:

Oh man, I don't know about the SP1. Don't you need special touchscreen drivers and a custom compiled kernel for that? 

But what do you mean, "these"? The network/DVD install? Or desktop environments? I lost you , sorry.

i think linux 4.something does the touch screen thing by default, unsure tho.

I think you chose right with openSUSE! I did get into Arch and it was a really important experience.. headaches and all. Then I moved to openSUSE for a daily driver but haven't used it because I didn't have a GPU to go Full Linux and use Windows only on a VM with GPU passthrough... I just got a 960 so I am about to embark upon formatting and leaving only openSUSE instead of dual-boot.

Anyway, If you really want a challenge go Arch, it's not too difficult because thankfully it has an incredible wiki and community. As far as openSUSE I understand it also has a lot of support and community. I installed Tumbleweed and played around with it. Yast is the package manager I think and it is very, very rich.

Pro Tip (though I'm not pro yet): If you REALLY want a challenge, you will need a lot of time so maybe in the future, try Gentoo. If Arch is the specialized distro that comes barebones and you build yourself... well gentoo takes it a step further making you compile the kernel itself for the install. Gentoo claims to be the fastest distro, It's called gentoo because of the gentoo penguin which is the fastest swimmer umong penguins. I guess because of the fact that you compile even the kernel on your own machine it gets built using your own cpu's specific instructions and i guess that's why it is supposedly so so good.

Anyway have fun with openSUSE... (I find installing a new distro to be so exciting don't you? :D)

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

59 minutes ago, manikyath said:

I've only seen Tek Syndicate's video on getting Ubuntu on an SP3, and they had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it to work. I wasn't sure if it was still like that or not.

22 minutes ago, VicBar said:

(snip)(/snip)

I'm with you on all points here :D I've distro hopped a ton and I've been super happy with OpenSUSE so far. My ONLY complaints have been no Spotify app, and one time where my laptop wouldn't boot anymore, but I was able to be back up in ~10 minutes because SUSE's installer found my account still on the device and set everything back up for me during re-install. OpenSUSE has literally been the most painless distro I've used so far

I've really been itching to give Arch another try (Gentoo is wayyy out of my league. Couldn't even figure out Sabayon lol), but I'm so happy with OpenSUSE right now, I don't want to give that up. Maybe I'll try again in a VM.

Totally agreed! :D VM's are the way to explore and try out stuff without worrying about breaking everything to the point where you just format your C: drive. I just built the pc I'm using so I'll work with VM's a lot more now. I learned watching my father set up a ton of virtual servers and even classrooms for RedHat Enterprise courses and it seem so convenient!

(I aim to one day get on the Gentoo level)

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

Looking for a challenge? If you are very patient, then I'd say Gentoo

On 6.8.2016 at 5:23 PM, bugs399 said:

I've been using Linux on and off for almost 2 years now, any suggestions?

Get rid of Linux and start digging into the real Unices.

Write in C.

On 8/6/2016 at 10:33 PM, steezemageeze said:

On 8/7/2016 at 2:56 PM, manikyath said:

The problem is that the WiFi causes the system to hang on 14.04 but not 16.04, I broke the touchscreen anyways.

Gentoo, it resolves all of the dependency issues that other distro's tend to have.

"There is probably a special circle of Hell reserved for people who force software into a role it was never designed for."
- Radium_Angel