Good Linux Distro for someone with some experience

Just now, bugs399 said:

It annoys me how they do that, the first time I used linux, I thought you had to pay for Ubuntu xD

i had someone rage and rant to me about how ubuntu breaks the linux stuff ToS because they make you pay for shipping you a DVD.

On 06/08/2016 at 11:42 AM, manikyath said:

you actually have to manually type 0 dollars to get a free download (which IMO is a way bigger leap towards nope than ubuntu's "no thanks just let me download" button)

i'm downloading their latest ISO, if its the same as i downloaded last time i'm putting a full nope on elementary.

I've never actually used it properly, I'll try it in a VM now.

On 06/08/2016 at 11:45 AM, manikyath said:

i had someone rage and rant to me about how ubuntu breaks the linux stuff ToS because they make you pay for shipping you a DVD.

They have to pay for the materials somehow I guess, that's acceptable but selling a download is against the rules(law?, idek)

Just now, bugs399 said:

I've never actually used it properly, I'll try it in a VM now.

tried using it on an old box, it wouldnt install...

so i just tossed another stupid ubuntu spinoff on it :P

Just now, manikyath said:

tried using it on an old box, it wouldnt install...

so i just tossed another stupid ubuntu spinoff on it :P

Which one?

Just now, bugs399 said:

They have to pay for the materials somehow I guess, that's acceptable but selling a download is against the rules(law?, idek)

they need to have their work with the resources used from the linux stuff (kernel, the vareous packages they install) available for free, but can have a second version available that is paid, which can only contain the stuff the free version has, and their own (or otherwise licensed) work.

as in, ubuntu is free to download, the DVD contains the exact same work, but on top of that it has a piece of molten sand in a box that gets physically shipped to you, and THATS what you're paying for.

they need to have their work with the resources used from the linux stuff (kernel, the vareous packages they install) available for free, but can have a second version available that is paid, which can only contain the stuff the free version has, and their own (or otherwise licensed) work.

as in, ubuntu is free to download, the DVD contains the exact same work, but on top of that it has a piece of molten sand in a box that gets physically shipped to you, and THATS what you're paying for.

Yeah that's what I meant

3 minutes ago, bugs399 said:

Which one?

it was peppermint linux, it corrupted after like 2 days but w/e :P

On 06/08/2016 at 11:32 AM, steezemageeze said:

You'll pick it up really quickly. For OpenSUSE, the commands are, "zypper in" for install, "zypper up" for update, "zypper rm" to remove a package. SUSE has a cheatsheat on their website somewhere, I'll try to find it for you and link it

EDIT: Zypper Cheat Sheet

Do you have a torrent to Tumbleweed because I can't find one for the life of me.

On 06/08/2016 at 11:51 AM, manikyath said:

it was peppermint linux, it corrupted after like 2 days but w/e :P

xD

2 minutes ago, bugs399 said:

Do you have a torrent to Tumbleweed because I can't find one for the life of me.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed_installation

Should be on this page

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

3 minutes ago, bugs399 said:

I was just looking and apparently there is no torrent for tumbleweed, so 5 hour FTP it is!

Oh sorry, I thought you were asking if you have to torrent it. I found a torrent file on this page, you can try it and see if it works

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

2 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

Oh sorry, I thought you were asking if you have to torrent it. I found a torrent file on this page, you can try it and see if it works

Doesn't work :( I'll just wait for the download.

Just now, bugs399 said:

Doesn't work :( I'll just wait for the download.

Damn, sorry. OpenSUSE is the WORST when it comes to the ISO download. It's 5GB because they have all of the desktop environments you can install in the ISO file, that way you don't need an internet connection to install. Or something like that xD

On 06/08/2016 at 0:01 PM, steezemageeze said:

Clearing drive space as we speak to install :) 

clearingdrive.png

On 06/08/2016 at 0:07 PM, steezemageeze said:

Damn, sorry. OpenSUSE is the WORST when it comes to the ISO download. It's 5GB because they have all of the desktop environments you can install in the ISO file, that way you don't need an internet connection to install. Or something like that xD

Yeah it's like 4.4GB, good thing I have unlimited bandwidth :)

Just now, bugs399 said:

Yeah it's like 4.4GB, good thing I have unlimited bandwidth :)

its like back when i had a 10 exabyte data cap on a 30/3 connection :P

after the fact i asked a software engineer about it, and it most likely was because my internet plan was that old it went trough the same "modernisation" twice, and in the process fucked up the data usage tracker xD

On 06/08/2016 at 0:10 PM, manikyath said:

its like back when i had a 10 exabyte data cap on a 30/3 connection :P

after the fact i asked a software engineer about it, and it most likely was because my internet plan was that old it went trough the same "modernisation" twice, and in the process fucked up the data usage tracker xD

xD

On 06/08/2016 at 11:28 AM, steezemageeze said:

Try OpenSUSE. I gave it a try just for shits and gigs and ended up really liking it. It's no harder to install or use than Debian (the installer is actually very similar) and it's way more up to date than Debian is, especially if you run Tumbleweed. 

If you really wanted to try Arch, ArchBang is a good place to start, or Manjaro/Antergos if you want to do even less work.

Should I do it xD

arch.png

1 minute ago, bugs399 said:

Should I do it xD

arch.png

If you're really triple booting, enhhh... No. Too much can go wrong in the install if you don't know what you're doing. I haven't managed to install it without having a dual boot (let alone triple!), And I consider myself to be at least proficient with Linux. It's your funeral though lmao

Just now, steezemageeze said:

If you're really triple booting, enhhh... No. Too much can go wrong in the install if you don't know what you're doing. I haven't managed to install it without having a dual boot (let alone triple!), And I consider myself to be at least proficient with Linux. It's your funeral though lmao

Manjaro isn't really my thing so i'm thinking about archbang or antergos.

1 minute ago, bugs399 said:

Manjaro isn't really my thing so i'm thinking about archbang or antergos.

Go for Antergos. ArchBang does everything except the partitions for you, and that's where things go wrong. Antergos is the safer option here.

Just now, steezemageeze said:

Go for Antergos. ArchBang does everything except the partitions for you, and that's where things go wrong. Antergos is the safer option here.

Will do

1baa3fe408.jpg

i'm announcing a full stop on elementary OS from my part...

last time i had this was a live cd on a 10 year old system, not a fresh install on a VM, AFTER installing guest additions.

(btw, before guest additions it ran like a complete slug...)

EDIT: it *still* runs like a complete slug, just now my mouse doesnt feel like a jar of mayonnaise.

last time i had this was a live cd on a 10 year old system, not a fresh install on a VM, AFTER installing guest additions.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

1baa3fe408.jpg

i'm announcing a full stop on elementary OS from my part...

(btw, before guest additions it ran like a complete slug...)

Does your CPU have virtualization turned on?

Just now, bugs399 said:

Does your CPU have virtualization turned on?

my cpu has virtualization turned on, in fact this is the worst i've had a VM run since i had vmware player 4.something trying to run a VM on top of windows vista, on a 2GB ram centrino duo...

also, how the FLIP is "DClock" more relevant than "OpenJDK Java 7 Runtime" when searching for "java"...

my cpu has virtualization turned on, in fact this is the worst i've had a VM run since i had vmware player 4.something trying to run a VM on top of windows vista, on a 2GB ram centrino duo...

also, how the FLIP is "DClock" more relevant than "OpenJDK Java 7 Runtime" when searching for "java"...

The devs could have abused tags or something like that? BUt running like that? Jesus what is it 1998.

10 minutes ago, bugs399 said:

The devs could have abused tags or something like that? BUt running like that? Jesus what is it 1998.

its downloading ~360MB worth of data for installing ksysguard, i think its trying to install KDE just so i can have A FRIKKIN TASK MANAGER...

(not to mention they dont ship one by default, and yes i purposely picked ksysguard to see how bad elementary would derp out trying to install it)

EDIT: sending shutdown singal logs you out instead of shutting the system down. i dont have to tell you how backwards that is, right?