Headset for under $150

Austin Powers

Budget @ $150(max is $160 if it's the nasty way that it doesn't meet the criteria I wanted). I need help choosing a headset that has 7.1 surround sounds. Using them mainly for gaming, some skype and listening music. I heard some headset allows you to switch to stereo and 7.1, which is good for not just gaming, but overall usage. And also, my friend was using the kraken(not sure which edition), his voice sounds like toad to me when he was skyping with me and some few friends around there. So yeah, I need a good headset that comes with high quality voice out of the mic. I was looking at the ROG Orion Pro and the Vulcan Pro and it's very tempting because of the cushion above your head and beside your ears. I still have no idea hows their output voice coming out on the Orion Pro and Vulcan Pro. Any other brand suggestion is welcomed,

One last thing, if it's possible, I need a headset that has 90 degree rotation on those ear cuffs horizontally and adjustable height headband(am I calling it the wrong way?)

Anyway, help wound be appreciated. I will comment back if I'm missing something else. Now I'm going back to work.

get ath-ad700x m50s or seinheiser 558s and pair them with either a modmic or zalman clip on mic they don't have the 90 degree thing you want but they are going to give you the best audio for the price

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

I think that if you want to have surround audio in a headset you have to sacrifice good audio quality for the mic and the 7.1. I agree with my parters and i think that the best way to go with a 150$ budget is getting a pair of Audio-Technica M50 and a clip or a desktop mic, and a good audio card, like any xonar or a FiiO E10. At least i dont know any real good quality pair of gaming headphones.

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

what others have already said, get a good pair of headphones and get a modmic or zalman clip on mic

I guess there's no best of both worlds for headphone + mic sound quality. Anyway, is there a huge difference in terms of voice output between retractable mic and non-retractable mic? I think I rather get a good audio output headset instead of having a mod mic on them.

I guess there's no best of both worlds for headphone + mic sound quality. Anyway, is there a huge difference in terms of voice output between retractable mic and non-retractable mic?

getting a pair of headphones plus a separate mic like the zalman clip on mic or the modmic is the best of both worlds as it will have better audio quality on the headphones and your voice will be better to others because of the mic, headsets are a waste of money at your budget headphones + mic are the way to go

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

I guess there's no best of both worlds for headphone + mic sound quality. Anyway, is there a huge difference in terms of voice output between retractable mic and non-retractable mic? I think I rather get a good audio output headset instead of having a mod mic on them.

When I use my Zalman mic, my friends sometimes think it costed like $100+. It sounds amazing for the price. Just get the clip-on and some nice headphones and call it a day. You will not regret it one bit, it sounds tremendously better.

Spoiler

What? Yes there is. There's a wide range of microphones to choose from, most are 10x better than the crap you get with headsets.

If you don't want a mod mic, you can get a zalman clip on mic, or a blue snowflake.

7.1 audio is a no-no. You are looking at the Vulvan Pro? I have the non-pro version and they're quite good. The mic is... decent though, but that is what you get with heatsets. Best is to get a pair of headphones with a separate mic, like @JORDANonPC suggested above.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

• 2 weeks later...

After a long research, I finally come down to the ATH-M50. Some feature/specs comparison I can't differentiate between those models. There's ATH-M50 and ATH-M50s. Anyone care to explain the difference in them? The silver LE also looks attractive to me, but sadly, it breaks beyond my budget. So now my options are one of those 2 above and the M50WH.

s for straight cable or something I like the coiled cable when the audio device is in my back pocket or front pocket the cable coil goes down to mid thigh then up to my headphone. 

glad you are making a break away from gaming headphones. 

while I do really enjoy the sound of the m50 I don't like it for games because the sound feels like it originates inside my head the most. 

s for straight cable or something I like the coiled cable when the audio device is in my back pocket or front pocket the cable coil goes down to mid thigh then up to my headphone. 

glad you are making a break away from gaming headphones. 

while I do really enjoy the sound of the m50 I don't like it for games because the sound feels like it originates inside my head the most. 

Barely touch FPS and MMO these days. I'll be learning touch-typing all the way with some heavy dubstep and I really need noise isolation because my brother annoys me with his pog game. Each time he throws them down, causing me to get typo somehow.

Since I'm not too sure about audio and all that, would the AD700x be ok with a headphone amp? I'm afraid to start another topic, and it kinda is a bit much for a yes/no question. If it means anything, I'll be playing at a pretty low level.

my notebook: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JW/

You don't need much of an amp for the 700X's, but a DAC might be better than your laptop's audio. 

I also heard some reviews that the ATH-M50 causes heat on the cuffs after few hours of music. Are those defect or normal?
I always wanted the 558, but I wanted a closed headset. One last question, do old model headphones have revisions on them? The M50 seems like born 10years+ ago. Wondering if there is revision....

I also heard some reviews that the ATH-M50 causes heat on the cuffs after few hours of music. Are those defect or normal?

I always wanted the 558, but I wanted a closed headset. One last question, do old model headphones have revisions on them? The M50 seems like born 10years+ ago. Wondering if there is revision....

I have no experience with the M50s but what I can say is that I'm extremely happy with my DT770's. They sound great, maybe don't look as good as the M50's (in my opinion) but they are friggin comfortable. No heat issues whatsoever.

THE signature

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596058/different-audio-technica-m50-versions

The problem with audio equipment is that manufacturers are rarely transparent.