Why is DVI going away?

egoon

Simple question. whats wrong with DVI that newer GPU's are having less of them?

and the same for hdmi for that mather? look at the gtx 1080 (nvidea version) only 1 dvi, and 1 hdmi. with 3 displayports. 

why is displayport that mutch better?

sorry for typo's

DVI can only support 1440p at this point, HDMI it depends on the version what it supports, but displayport is just a bit easier in what resolutions it support. It's just kinda good.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

DisplayPort allows for native audio support, as well as having more bandwidth at its disposal. Additionally, DisplayPort also supports Adaptive Sync technology, which DVI doesn't support.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

This is from memory, I could be wrong but...

DVI is bulky and the locking mechanism is annoying compared to Displayport

The supported resolutions are far lower

DVI doesn't transfer any data

I think DVI will stick around for a while longer since so many monitors only support DVI, and it's the only way to still get VGA with a passive adapter, so you can still support legacy devices without slapping an ancient VGA connector on your product. I'm actually quite a bit miffed that AMD removed it on their reference RX 480 but it's alright since practically all the custom cards has the DVI there.

Its the progress of technology.

New standard overtakes the old standard.

DVI still has its uses just like VGA does but these are becoming less of a demand.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 6-8-2016 at 0:15 AM, Minibois said:

DVI can only support 1440p at this point, HDMI it depends on the version what it supports, but displayport is just a bit easier in what resolutions it support. It's just kinda good.

thanks for all the answers. i think the best aswer is that it only supports up to 1440p. i dident know that. so yea it makes sends then.

On 8/5/2016 at 6:17 PM, Brian McKee said:

DVI doesn't transfer any data

What? 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 hour ago, egoon said:

thanks for all the answers. i think the best aswer is that it only supports up to 1440p. i dident know that. so yea it makes sends then.

The newest version of displayport I think supports 8K 60Hz :P (which I think that version is on Pascal cards, or maybe only the Titan XP), so that is probably too is why GPU makers want to future proof their cards.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

On 7-8-2016 at 8:27 PM, Godlygamer23 said:

What? 

i think he means data transfer as in usb pass true

5 minutes ago, egoon said:

i think he means data transfer as in usb pass true

DVI transfers data. 

On 15-8-2016 at 6:41 PM, Godlygamer23 said:

DVI transfers data. 

does it pass thrue usb data? like can you use the screen as usb hub with it?

On 05/08/2016 at 11:10 PM, egoon said:

Simple question. whats wrong with DVI that newer GPU's are having less of them?

and the same for hdmi for that mather? look at the gtx 1080 (nvidea version) only 1 dvi, and 1 hdmi. with 3 displayports. 

why is displayport that mutch better?

sorry for typo's

because DP support everything if you want DVI buy a Display Port to DVI adapter (i have two of them running on my system) there not expensive either so i picked mine up for £3 each

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

28 minutes ago, egoon said:

does it pass thrue usb data? like can you use the screen as usb hub with it?

No. It's only for displays.