Hows my $1000~ build?

1 minute ago, catzambia said:

In what games did it bottleneck? Also there is a decent improvement from haswell to skylake.

LOL,in some games it close to none

Just now, keNNySOC said:

LOL,in some games it close to none

In what games? In no case should a Haswell CPU beat a skylake cpu, there's a two generation gap between them (if we're counting broadwell).

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

LTT Forum Beginners Guide

****, sorry. Even tried restarting, still can't quote. Linus has forsaken me @catzambia

Fallout 4 was flat out unplayable using the 4690k, I could fix that if I set the shadow distance to medium but that's where the Xbox One and PS4 set. I'm a PC gamer, I like my shadows all PC like. The 4790k fixed that issue. Same with The Witcher 3 and even MechWarrior Online, which I admit was a surprise.

As for the Haswell to Skylake, wrong again.

And as for the OP, enjoy replacing that i5.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, catzambia said:

In what games? In no case should a Haswell CPU beat a skylake cpu, there's a two generation gap between them (if we're counting broadwell).

2-3 fps i really don't count as decent,in Dying Light Haswell actually beat Skylake in a benchmark by Science Studio

Just now, keNNySOC said:

2-3 fps i really don't count as decent,in Dying Light Haswell actually beat Skylake in a benchmark by Science Studio

That's called an anomaly.

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

Just now, catzambia said:

That's called an anomaly.

Even if it was,2-3 fps is not decent 

8 minutes ago, App4that said:

****, sorry. Even tried restarting, still can't quote. Linus has forsaken me @catzambia

Fallout 4 was flat out unplayable using the 4690k, I could fix that if I set the shadow distance to medium but that's where the Xbox One and PS4 set. I'm a PC gamer, I like my shadows all PC like. The 4790k fixed that issue. Same with The Witcher 3 and even MechWarrior Online, which I admit was a surprise.

As for the Haswell to Skylake, wrong again.

And as for the OP, enjoy replacing that i5.

Okay, all those benchmarks show is that there is no need to get a stronger CPU, those were even DX11 games, AND the OP's friend will be using a 60hz panel. I've said it before, an i7 will perform better in video editing and gaming at high framrates. But given that the OP's friend will be gaming at 60hz with an RX 480, and the price of the i7 and his budget, there is no need to get an i7!

Also, my brother plays fallout 4 on a phenom ii x4, albeit at low settings, so I don't understand how it was unplayable for you, like how?

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

@catzambia

It's simple, I didn't build a PC to play at console settings. Set the shadow distance to ultra in Fallout 4 and you'll see a massive bottleneck. He is careful in his Fallout 4 test to avoid that by staying out of areas that cause a problem.

But we're spinning our wheels here. The i5 bottlenecking the RX 480 depending on the application is a fact. It's not qualitative, but quantitative. I linked that article that covers it, and that was done by Eurogamer and Digital Foundry. You can post an application where the bottleneck doesn't happen, doesn't remover the bottleneck when it does. And the OP has made it clear they have no interest in investing in their PC, they want cheap. And cheap is what they'll get.

So I'm pretty sure that means we're done here.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

24 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

Remember the i7 960,people who bough those CPU's did not upgrade oh no,they overclocked it to 4.2GHz and its still a decent CPU to this day and is 7 years old

Yep

Shows your a jackass who wants to prove a mute point,

You don't understand the concept of not having the money to get better hardware.

$1000 is the budget. You came here openly insulting those who you believe have no knowledge, and then tried to suggest a product that has completely unrealistic benefits compared to the other choices.

I understand and accept that YES, it would provide better performance,

YES, it could potentially last longer if overclocked at the end of its lifespan.

Do I think that performance and longevity is worth it when its going to go completely unused? Hell no.

PLEASE, if your going to shame me for not taking criticism, look at what i'm exactly asking for at the beginning of this topic and see that what you may think is most desirable is maybe not exactly what a person can afford or want.

I have told you time and time again NO, a i7 is NOT A OPTION.

Please respect that and leave the conversation at that.

7 hours ago, RangerLunis said:

-snip-

It's your choice not mine