Hows my $1000~ build?

Just now, keNNySOC said:

In gaming it will,there is a difference in minimal fps between a i7 and i5,this test was done by @App4that , In video editing it does make a difference

This is true, but yah gotta understand they won't be doing video editing every day or anything, more on occasion for a quick school project or a random video meshed together for a laugh. His most used application will be photoshop without a doubt. There is no real reason to put more money into the build for performance he wont use. 

Just now, App4that said:

Why do we still have this lie being posted on this forum? The i7 makes a big difference, do you think people spend money on them for the looks? All that i7 bling?

Come on...

I'm sure the I7 makes a big difference, but it'll just be wasted performance when my friend is just doing LIGHT video editing :P

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

Why do we still have this lie being posted on this forum? The i7 makes a big difference, do you think people spend money on them for the looks? All that i7 bling?

Come on...

The OP has a budget man, and paired with an RX 480 there will be no noticeable difference between an i5 and an i7. Unless he wants to get into a lot of content creation, as I said.

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

LTT Forum Beginners Guide

Sorry @catzambia, quote feature is messing up.

Budget is relative. Waste money on a i5 you have to replace way sooner than a i7 and you spend more in the end. If you don't mind wasting money on low end hardware, don't complain while you sit there waiting. And don't complain when you find out why no reviewer uses a i5 to test a RX 480 ;) 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

Come on...

i7 Bling dog ! :ph34r:

Just now, catzambia said:

The OP has a budget man, and paired with an RX 480 there will be no noticeable difference between an i5 and an i7. Unless he wants to get into a lot of content creation, as I said.

Like @App4that said,its all about how his time is precious,for those 20 seconds i can probably write 10 lines of code in HTML using Sublime Text and Emmet,for 50 seconds 35 lines of code,and if your gaming and video rendering at the same time,the i7 will do much better,those dips are important since they do happen often (depending on the game) and if he wants to play FPS games or MMO games i really don't want ANY dips whatsoever since those games can last up to 1 hour,in the end if he gets a locked core i5 he will need to upgrade way sooner,while if he gets the i7 he can overclock it and hes right back...

@App4that @keNNySOC

As the OP has said multiple times, the build would be used for some light video editing, and in gaming an i5 will be just fine. If the OP wants to spend nearly twice as much to save a few minutes then whatever, but since the build will be used for mostly gaming I see no reason to buy an i7.

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

Just now, App4that said:

Sorry @catzambia, quote feature is messing up.

Budget is relative. Waste money on a i5 you have to replace way sooner than a i7 and you spend more in the end. If you don't mind wasting money on low end hardware, don't complain while you sit there waiting. And don't complain when you find out why no reviewer uses a i5 to test a RX 480 ;) 

MMMMMMMMK

SOOOO

You're saying the I5 is a piece of trash and will need to be replaced?

Ye no.

An I5 is going to have the same longevity if not even maybe more than a I7.

I don't believe you quite understand my friend is only doing 1080p gaming, and LIGHT I repeat LIGHT editing. It's not going to take up his entire life or anything. 

If you're telling me my friend is going to have to throw out his i5 because it will ultimately fail, yeah I call bs.

If you don't understand there is such thing as "budget" and my friend isn't looking for bling. You're asking him to buy something with performance he'll never ever use. 

@App4that @keNNySOC

As the OP has said multiple times, the build would be used for some light video editing, and in gaming an i5 will be just fine. If the OP wants to spend nearly twice as much to save a few minutes then whatever, but since the build will be used for mostly gaming I see no reason to buy an i7.

Remember what @App4that and me said,the locked i5 will die faster than the unlocked i7 which can be overclocked to be

It will do better now,it will do better latter.

Just now, keNNySOC said:

Remember what @App4that and me said,the locked i5 will die faster than the unlocked i7 which can be overclocked to be

How in the hell is the locked i5 going to die faster than the unlocked i7.

This thing is going to be under a great air cooler, in a case with plenty of airflow.

My friend is not interested at ALL in overclocking.

4 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

Are you shittin me? That makes no sense.

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

2 minutes ago, RangerLunis said:

How in the hell is the locked i5 going to die faster than the unlocked i7.

This thing is going to be under a great air cooler, in a case with plenty of airflow.

My friend is not interested at ALL in overclocking.

You did not understand me,i did not mean literally die,i mean't the i7 will last longer and will not need to be replaced as soon as the i5,and as soon as the i5 starts aging you can't do ANYTHING since its locked,the i7 is unlocked and you can just OC it and it will be still running great still

Just now, keNNySOC said:

You did not understand me,i did not mean literally die,i mean't the i7 will last longer and will not need to be replaced as soon as the i5,and as soon as the i5 starts aging you can't do ANYTHING since its locked,the i7 is unlocked and you can just OC it and it will be still running great still

k, well you shouldn't say die.

Yes it will have better performance, but with DX12 and Vulkan properly utilizing parts, no need for an i7.

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

Just now, keNNySOC said:

That will be a couple of years into the future, by then you'll probably just want to upgrade to another architecture whether or not your cpu is aging.

k, well you shouldn't say die.

Yes it will have better performance, but with DX12 and Vulkan properly utilizing parts, no need for an i7.

And with DX12 games using more cores/hyperthreads

1 minute ago, keNNySOC said:

And with DX12 games using more cores/hyperthreads

But WHY get an i7 with an RX 480? Why do we need to discuss this, OP already said 20 posts ago that i7 is out of his budget, and I said 20 posts ago that there is no need to get an i7 when pairing it with an RX 480, and likely a 60hz panel (correct me if I'm wrong OP).

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

3 minutes ago, RangerLunis said:

That will be a couple of years into the future, by then you'll probably just want to upgrade to another architecture whether or not your cpu is aging.

But WHY get an i7 with an RX 480? Why do we need to discuss this, OP already said 20 posts ago that i7 is out of his budget, and I said 20 posts ago that there is no need to get an i7 when pairing it with an RX 480, and likely a 60hz panel (correct me if I'm wrong OP).

Remember the i7 960,people who bough those CPU's did not upgrade oh no,they overclocked it to 4.2GHz and its still a decent CPU to this day and is 7 years old

completely correct :)

Just now, keNNySOC said:

Remember the i7 960,people who bough those CPU's did not upgrade oh no,they overclocked it to 4.2GHz and its still a decent CPU to this day and is 7 years old

Ok, what does that have to do with this? It's outside of OP's budget, he doesn't need it when paired with an RX 480, and an FX 6300 can beat that i7 in cb.

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

@catzambia

Why do reviewers use i7s in their testing? Even if they're using Skylake? Because if they used a i5 the i5 would limit the results, the i7 doesn't.

OP, do what you want.

But you made a topic for a reason. If that was confirmation bias, you'll always find someone willing to share your beliefs, and here you did just that.

But if you wanted good advice, well you might want to set your beliefs aside and listen.

Just now, App4that said:

@catzambia

Why do reviewers use i7s in their testing? Even if they're using Skylake? Because if they used a i5 the i5 would limit the results, the i7 doesn't.

OP, do what you want.

But you made a topic for a reason. If that was confirmation bias, you'll always find someone willing to share your beliefs, and here you did just that.

But if you wanted good advice, well you might want to set your beliefs aside and listen.

Like it's already said by App,do whatever you wan't since in the end its up to you

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

@catzambia

OP, do what you want.

The OP's friend will be using a 60hz panel, and an rx 480. And they use i7s because they need to measure the fps of very powerful video cards up to very high framerates. At 60hz and with an rx 480 and with the OP's budget it just makes NO sense. For the OP's use case, there would be no benefit.

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

Bloody hell, I can't quote so forgive me. @catzambia

You're flat out wrong. I had a 4690k overclocked to 4.6GHz bottleneck my 290 (about a 480) hard, so hard I had to buy a 4790k which fixed the problem.

And it's not just me. This has been proven over and over again, but like whack a mole it pops up over and over again.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-the-best-pc-hardware-for-fallout-4-4023

Just now, App4that said:

@catzambia

OP, do what you want.

Yeah "good advice". 

Your reasons for using an I7 were that my friend could use the extra performance in the LIGHT video editing he will be doing, and that the extra performance of using a I7 over a i5 will benefit my friend in, understand this now, a 1080p 60hz monitor. As well as insisting he would still be able to use the cpu when it's dying with a overclock, which understand probably before that ever happens he'd upgrade to a newer architecture. 

You're giving unrealistic answers which will in no way benefit me or my friend.

Considering you started the argument by being rude, 

I see no reason why i should accept your advice. 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Bloody hell, I can't quote so forgive me. @catzambia

You're flat out wrong. I had a 4690k overclocked to 4.6GHz bottleneck my 290 (about a 480) hard, so hard I had to buy a 4790k which fixed the problem.

And it's not just me. This has been proven over and over again, but like whack a mole it pops up over and over again.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-the-best-pc-hardware-for-fallout-4-4023

In what games did it bottleneck? Also there is a decent improvement from haswell to skylake.

LTT's Fastest 9800gt