V-Sync Vs. G-sync/freesync

DGB

what is the difference between v-sync and g-sync/freesync? they both stop games from putting out more frames  than the monitor's refresh rate, so what is the difference that makes g-sync/freesync monitors more expensive?

Red (Soon to be Retired)CPU: FX-8350 Cooler: CM 212 Evo  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz Mobo: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 SSD: Kingston 128 GB (Boot), Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB (Main Games) HDD: WD Black 1 TB (Storage + Older Games) PSU: EVGA W1 500W Monitor: Dell ST2220l 21.5". Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Keyboard, Razer Deathadder Mouse, SteelSeries mosepad, 

Basically;

V-Sync - Monitor: "You VILL push x fps, und ONLY x fps!"

G-sync/Freesync - GPU: "Monitor, bro, here's the current frame/s, adjust yourself if I'm not pushing your max framerate."

V-Sync kneecaps the output of the GPU by putting it in lockstep with the monitor's refresh rate, G-Sync/Freesync has gear in the monitor that lets it adjust the refresh rate according to what the GPU is able to push out.

Vsync caps your fps at your monitor's refresh rate.

G/free sync changes your monitor's refresh rate when your fps is below 60Hz (or whatever the max is) to prevent screen tearing.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Normal V-sync simply stops the GPU from rendering more than the screen's refresh rate. G-sync and freesync change the monitor's refresh rate to that of what's being sent to it, so it should theoretically never skip or lose a frame (stutter) due to a refresh rate/monitor issue. It also eliminates all tearing, just like V-sync, without the input lag you sometimes get with certain V-sync solutions.

G-sync/freesync monitors are more expensive for a few reasons-

1. Changing the refresh rate of a monitor is hard. It needs a special chip to do so, and this chip as far as I know can only be gotten from Nvidia or AMD- it's an opportunity for them to make money so G-sync modules especially are kind of more expensive than they need to be, although that seems like it's changing a little bit.

2. G-sync displays nearly always have high refresh rates (my G-sync display has 100Hz), which also adds to the cost

3. Finally, the monitor manufacturer knows that the average Joe Schmoe off the street just looking for a decent monitor isn't going to go for an expensive piece of tech with fancy refresh rate tech inside of said monitor- it's going to be the PC hardware enthusiasts or serious gamers that go for these machines, so they're usually very very nice to begin with.

My PC: MSI X99s SLI PLUS///Intel i7 5820k///Corsair H100i///Crucial DDR4 12GB///EVGA Supernova Gold 750w G2///ASUS GTX 1080 Strix///Phanteks Enthoo Luxe///Intel 730 240GB SSD///WD Blue 1TB///Intel 6250 WiFi
Current Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598///Corsair K70 LUX///Logitech MX Master///Razer Destructor 2///Saitek X52///Acer X34 Predator

Thanks for all the replies!

Red (Soon to be Retired)CPU: FX-8350 Cooler: CM 212 Evo  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz Mobo: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 SSD: Kingston 128 GB (Boot), Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB (Main Games) HDD: WD Black 1 TB (Storage + Older Games) PSU: EVGA W1 500W Monitor: Dell ST2220l 21.5". Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Keyboard, Razer Deathadder Mouse, SteelSeries mosepad, 

One more thing to add to the upside of Frame Matching tech is that it has noticeably less input lag compared to v-sync. It is almost on par with not having anything on, and it is quite safe to use in competitive games without much risk of having disadvantage. Input lag issue from G & Free Sync only really starts to affect those that play at professional level.