FX 8350 vs i5 4670k

Unless you need the new instruction sets then the AMD is the better purchase at this price point.

The 8350 is comparable to the i5 but can hang with the i7 in heavily threaded apps

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

AMD FX-8320 @ 4.3 ghz | Corsair H60 (Push/Pull)|  8GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1.6 ghz | Sapphire HD 7870 Oc'd | Biostar TA970 MOBO OCZ 750w  PSU | 2TB HDD + 120gb Kingston V300 SSD| Coolermaster CM Storm Enforcer Case | SoundBlaster Audigy SE  Windows 7                                                                                      "I am a leaf on the wind, watch me..."   "You know nothing Jon Snauhh" "Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

/Steam Profile/Folding@home stats/TekSyndicate Fourms/  \m/  RIP David Gold (1980-2011) \m/ RIP Peter Steele (1962-2010) \m/ RIP Chuck Schuldiner (1967-2001) \m/ RIP Dio (1942-2010) \m/ RIP Cliff Burton (1962-1986) \m/ RIP Dime (1966-2004)

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

I would get the 8350 and a nice cooler and oc it to 4.6-4.8

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

Both CPUs will perform great. The two reasons I would get the Intel CPU is it's lower TDP and Intel Quick Sync. If you are air cooling, then the Intel CPU will have lower temps. Other than that, the FX-8350 is a great gaming CPU. 

3D rendering performance :
51120.png
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-vishera-review-amd-fx8350-fx8320-fx6300-and-fx4300-tested/4

Video Transcoding :
51118.png
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-vishera-review-amd-fx8350-fx8320-fx6300-and-fx4300-tested/3

Gaming on the most demanding titles (which are all optimized for the 8 core AMD CPUs)
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test
proz.jpg

far%20cry%20proz.png

Both CPUs will perform great. The two reasons I would get the Intel CPU is it's lower TDP and Intel Quick Sync. If you are air cooling, then the Intel CPU will have lower temps. Other than that, the FX-8350 is a great gaming CPU. 

That's not true at all, the Haswell parts (4670K/4770K) run extremely hot, they often run in high 80s and get insanely hot when overclocked.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2013/06/06/haswell-heat/

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/382267/intel-haswell-hotter-and-slower-than-expected

Most reviews didn't even test the temperatures, which I find disturbing, but the ones who did were shocked by how hot these CPUs ran.

http://youtu.be/FqdLpzwSDFo?t=1m40s

This excessive heat is due to the integrated VRMs on-die.

Unless you have a PSU capable to handle Intels low power states, then you should go for an 8350.

That's not true at all, the Haswell parts (4670K/4770K) run extremely hot, they often run in high 80s and get insanely hot when overclocked.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2013/06/06/haswell-heat/

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/382267/intel-haswell-hotter-and-slower-than-expected

Most reviews didn't even test the temperatures, which I find disturbing, but the ones who did were shocked by how hot these CPUs ran.

http://youtu.be/FqdLpzwSDFo?t=1m40s

This excessive heat is due to the integrated VRMs on-die.

It still has a lower TDP by ~40 watts which is significant. 

Almost all PSUs can handle the low power states, and if it can't then the low power states can be easily disabled in the BIOS.

In gaming, sometimes usually the i5-4670K is in the lead, sometimes they are even.  Once in a while the 8350 will come out ahead.  All in all I would say they are fairly comparable, the i5 perhaps has a slight advantage now, but that may change with upcoming games.

The 8350 is clearly superior to the i5 in multi-threaded content creation and workstation tasks.

TDP isn't necessarily indicative of the CPU temps you will get.

40 watts is still very significant. Even if the VRM is located on chip + the heat spreader issue. If a light bulb is drawing 80 watts versus 125 watts, which is going to run hotter? This is a very simple example but TDP plays a huge rule in how temps are handled. 

TDP isn't necessarily indicative of the CPU temps you will get.

This.

40 watts is still very significant. Even if the VRM is located on chip + the heat spreader issue. If a light bulb is drawing 80 watts versus 125 watts, which is going to run hotter? This is a very simple example but TDP plays a huge rule in how temps are handled. 

You know that AMD and Intel measure TDP by different standards right?

TDP is not a universal measurement,Nvidia for example rate TDP over the whole component.

Zn8wAF9.png

40w doesnt mean a thing.

Intel even change the meaning of TDP within its own products,the Atom has  a different TDP spec than the normal desktop chips.

Intel used to give all the info out too....

Ayg9GwF.png

See there? 2 metrics,TDP that Intel spec the chip at,then above you see what the chips actually uses worst case scenario,the worst case scenario is what AMD publish directly. Intel dont publish that max draw number anymore......I wonder why?

TDP is a worthless metric to judge anything other than consumption and even then its far from perfect.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

I'd get the 4670k, but only because my friend who has an 8350 is having issues and I've heard the FM3 mobo's just arent too great

I'm the one who overclocks.

CPU: i5 2500k w/CM Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OC'd@4.2GHz RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB  MOBO: Intel Burrage DP67BG GPU: MSI GTX770 Twin Frozr 2GB HDD: 2x Seagate 2TB Barracuda PSU: Gigabyte ODIN 550W

This is just stating the effects of Intel's Turbo boost in that screen shot of that CPU. Sustained is the "Long Duration power limit" and the Other spec is the "Short duration power limit. This does not have to be included in the official spec since it can vary based on what the BIOS config is and how well the cooling system can handle it. That CPU above, without turbo boost on, has a TDP of 95 watts. The cooling system MUST be able to dissipate 95 watts in order to not cause a throttling scenario. This is mostly how Apple products get away with such bad cooling systems, but I digress. So while a 4670k can draw upwards of 100 watts it wont be doing this very often seeing as the Long Duration power limit is usually a very low number of seconds (no more than 127 seconds for Desktops and no more than 72seconds for laptops). If we are talking about overclocking, then what we are saying doesn't even matter since it can all be changed ;) (Except the power limit in seconds, that is HARD locked) So, again, TDP is still a valid measurement of heat output. 

I currently have intel i5 3570k. I will suggest you to get 8350. I wonder why so much hate on 8350?  Its a good cpu and does whats supposed to do in gaming area.  Hell it will do much better now that next gen games are utilizing more cores. take battlefield 4 for an example. It performs better on more cores. YESS I agree it was optimized,but still.You have to agree that more cores is the future , now that is the way consoles are going. Plus you get future upgrade option with AMD as socket on AMD machine has longer lifespan. 
What if i5 is 10% faster? You can spend saved cash on other hardware which affect gaming experiance more like graphics.

Proccy: i5 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v, GFX card: Asus DCUII gtx 760, Ram: corsair vengence 8GB, PSU: corsair vx550w, Case: Coolermaster cm 690 II advanced, HDD: Segate 1TB+ 500GB , Mouse: logitech g400s, Keyboard: Motospeed ck104