What is NVMe?

Carlos1010
Go to solution Solved by VerticalDiscussions,
11 minutes ago, Carlos1010 said:

-snip-

Yep, since it allows for such connections. And there are also PCIe ssds that dont have the NVME protocol.

Hi everyone,

So I saw the Techquickie video on this and yeah, I still don't get it. Well actually I think I do a little. Is NVMe the technology in PCIE SSD's,M.2 SSD's and SATA express SSD's have that make then read multiple file at once? Also can there be NVEe on a HDD? Lastly what is the difference between SATA Express SSD and a PCIE SSD, any speed differences? Thanks in advanced!

I'm part of the "Help a noob foundation" 

1) there are no sata express SSDs in existence

2) PCIe and M.2 SSDs can also be non-NVME

3) NVME on a HDD would be useless because HDDs are not bottlenecked by SATA

4) sata express and PCIe are types of connectors

5) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVM_Express

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

There isn't nVME on hdd because it's bottleneck is the technology itself. 

I dunno about the reading multiple files at once. 

The sata one is limited to sata speeds (at max, 6gb/s) and the pcie one is able to read at pcie 3 speeds (multiple times greater than sata)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

1) there are no sata express SSDs in existence

2) PCIe and M.2 SSDs can also be non-NVME

3) NVME on a HDD would be useless because HDDs are not bottlenecked by SATA

4) sata express and PCIe are types of connectors

5) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVM_Express

Huh? No SATA Express SSD's? Why did Linus even talk about them then? Also thanks for your informative response! 

5 minutes ago, Carlos1010 said:

Hi everyone,

So I saw the Techquickie video on this and yeah, I still don't get it. Well actually I think I do a little. Is NVMe the technology in PCIE SSD's,M.2 SSD's and SATA express SSD's have that make then read multiple file at once? Also can there be NVEe on a HDD? Lastly what is the difference between SATA Express SSD and a PCIE SSD, any speed differences? Thanks in advanced!

NVMe is the technology that is in some PCIe and M.2 SSDs. It is also in some 2.5'' form factor SSDs, although with the use of what's called a U.2 connector, though that's not too important right now. Also, since NVMe is pretty much only SSD-specific, it will not work with HDDs, since they can't reap the benefits of NVMe.

Note, though, that there are no SATA Express drives of any kind on the market right now.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

3 minutes ago, daniellearmouth said:

NVMe is the technology that is in some PCIe and M.2 SSDs. It is also in some 2.5'' form factor SSDs, although with the use of what's called a U.2 connector, though that's not too important right now. Also, since NVMe is pretty much only SSD-specific, it will not work with HDDs, since they can't reap the benefits of NVMe.

Note, though, that there are no SATA Express drives of any kind on the market right now.

But, what does this technology do? Thanks for your response! 

15 hours ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

The Future btw.

But what does this technology/future thing do? 

6 hours ago, Carlos1010 said:

-snip-

It allows us to to finally ditch Sata permanently and in a possible near future with more research, achieve pcie express 3.0 speed limits, which is meant to be replaced by the pcie express 4.0, which has been in development since 2011.

Funny thing is this a 2.5Gb/sec drive technology, but 3.0 limits are 32Gb/sec, so we can only assume 4.0 will provide almost double the bandwidth. Also it allows for less cabled system, since you attach these drives to either a pci-e slot or an m.2 slot.

Groomlake Authority

13 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

It allows us to to finally ditch Sata permanently and in a possible near future with more research, achieve pcie express 3.0 speed limits, which is meant to be replaced by the pcie express 4.0, which has been in development since 2011.

Funny thing is this a 2.5Gb/sec drive technology, but 3.0 limits are 32Gb/sec, so we can only assume 4.0 will provide almost double the bandwidth. Also it allows for less cabled system, since you attach these drives to either a pci-e slot or an m.2 slot.

So is NVMe the technology that lets M.2 and PCIe SSD's to perform faster? There are also some PCIe SSD's that down't have this NVMe, is that possible?

11 minutes ago, Carlos1010 said:

-snip-

Yep, since it allows for such connections. And there are also PCIe ssds that dont have the NVME protocol.

Groomlake Authority