Buying a used Mechanical Keyboard bad?

flameprincess2000

I would never buy second hand keyboard or mouse. Hygiene issues...

G4MING RIG - CPU: i7 5930K  Cooling: Custom Loop  MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme  GPU: EVGA 980 Ti GTX Classified  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB  SSD: Samsung 840 Pro  PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W Platinum Certified  Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX II  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo  PERIPHERALS: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4, Logitech G502 Proteus Core, Sennheiser G4ME One, B&W MM-1, ROG SWIFT

Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2012CPU: i7 2,7 GHz  GPU: GT 650M,  RAM: 16GB,  SSD: 512GB

Watch some of Louis Rossmann's repair videos... you'll never want to touch anyone else's keyboard ever again.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

I wouldn't buy a Corsair/gaming keyboard secondhand, personally. 

However, I have no qualms with buying one of the well cared for Korean Custom keyboards (or similar) that are out there, since they are often in immaculate condition, and absolutely beautiful to behold and amazing to type on. That being said, those keyboards are often worth between $600 and $6,000, so people tend to take far better care of those than they do easily accessible gaming boards. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

5 hours ago, teeejay said:

I would never buy second hand keyboard or mouse. Hygiene issues...

This is my main issue. The hardware will be absolutely fine, mechanical keyboards last forever, but as a rule you're better off touching random toilet seats than random keyboards.

4 hours ago, othertomperson said:

as a rule you're better off touching random toilet seats than random keyboards.

Um, do you have a source for that claim?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Yep, at least a public toilet gets cleaned once a day by cleaning staff. I used to type with a napkin over the keyboard in the university computer labs. It was absolutely sick how there were buildups of dead skin cells on the keys and mouse buttons. And in the winter when everyone was coughing into their hands?! omg... I washed my hands so much

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

Other people's keyboards can be completely nasty. I wouldn't buy one, especially if they are just using a stock photo in their listing as opposed to detailed pictures of the actual keyboard they are selling.

On 8/1/2016 at 2:24 AM, othertomperson said:

This is my main issue. The hardware will be absolutely fine, mechanical keyboards last forever, but as a rule you're better off touching random toilet seats than random keyboards.

See if new key caps are that expensive, I use anti bacterial ones, if you decide to, just wear gloves, remove all the caps, vacuum the switch area (carefully) and put the new key caps on. Maybe wash the old ones in bleach and then sell them or just through them out. 

Yours faithfully

On 7/31/2016 at 9:03 PM, flameprincess2000 said:

I'm thinking about buying a used RGB K70 Corsair on eBay...

Is this a bad idea?

As I said to someone else on this post (but I'll quote you too so you'll definitely see in case hygiene is also your issue) 
See if new key caps are that expensive, I use anti bacterial ones, if you decide to buy, just wear gloves, remove all the caps, vacuum the switch area (carefully) and put the new key caps on. Maybe wash the old ones in bleach and then sell them or just through them out. 

Yours faithfully

If your budget is so low you need to get used...

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

Its almost like people here do not clean keyboards... If it works used is fine just clean it if you dont think you can clean it just swap the caps but with a k70 you really only have the option of max universal keycaps