Found weird circuit attached to wall, help!!

Anyone know what this is? It's connected to the wall behind the couch. Never seen it in the 10 years I've been in this house.

1469973197582-1506644180.jpg

probably the NSA spying on you, are you perhaps the boss of a mexican drug cartell? :P /s

i've never seen anything like it though, maybe something to do with home security?

Due to the way the connectors look i'm willing to bet it has something to do with your phone line/ethernet

That's an Intel iSPY Over 9k! It's gonna spy on you! Get rid of it immediately! Hackers are using it on you! /s

To be honest I don't know.... Looks like something for your power plugs or internet connection.... I see that a wire is sticking out of it.... Do you know what that wire is connected to?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

That's an Intel iSPY Over 9k! It's gonna spy on you! Get rid of it immediately! Hackers are using it on you! /s

To be honest I don't know.... Looks like something for your power plugs or internet connection.... I see that a wire is sticking out of it.... Do you know what that wire is connected to?

The wire just goes into the wall. The kitchen is on the other side....

I have seen things like that back in the day when people use to run speakers throughout the house to their stereo systems. Maybe? Or an old alarm system wiring?

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

3 minutes ago, Lynks said:

The wire just goes into the wall. The kitchen is on the other side....

That's weird.....

THEN TAKE DOWN THE WHOLE GODDAMN WALL TO FIGURE IT OUT!!!

Spoiler

Honestly I have no idea. Maybe look for a serial number or something on the back and google it?!?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

The colors roughly match the colors used on RJ11 twisted pairs. Prob used for a phone line.

1 minute ago, xentric said:

I have seen things like that back in the day when people use to run speakers throughout the house to their stereo systems. Maybe? Or an old alarm system wiring?

I doubt it's any of those.. If it is an old alarm wiring system why does it need to be exposed?

1 minute ago, Lord_Doge said:

The colors roughly match the colors used on RJ11 twisted pairs. Prob used for a phone line.

I belive all the phone line wiring is done on another floor. This is right behind the couch in my living room.

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

That's weird.....

THEN TAKE DOWN THE WHOLE GODDAMN WALL TO FIGURE IT OUT!!!

I'm actually tempted to cut it out....

Could just be some old legacy connector for a phoneline.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

As someone who has recently had two houses remodeled, and had those panels dealt with, they're the panels that are used to connect phone line. In my case, they were (stupidly) used in place of a switch for the ethernet wiring. 

Anyway, they basically bridge all of the wires together (you know how if you have more than one phone in a house, you can have multiple people answer, and have everyone talking? Yeah, they're the things that make that happen). 

It's nothing to worry about, but it's also totally useless if you're not using it. No reason to keep it. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Looks like a splitter to me. Either phone or ethernet

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

59 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

Looks like a splitter to me. Either phone or ethernet

You can hook up an ethernet cable to it, but that's a totally useless thing to do, since you can't actually split ethernet without some kind of switch.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

3 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

You can hook up an ethernet cable to it, but that's a totally useless thing to do, since you can't actually split ethernet without some kind of switch.

Well you CAN technically run two connections on the same cable if you use only half the pairs (4+4). Also you can run two phone lines over the same CAT cable

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

According to the Google it looks like it has to do with the phone/DSL. Based on a German forum (and Google Translate) it's a splitter for a POTS line.

-KuJoe

45 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

Well you CAN technically run two connections on the same cable if you use only half the pairs (4+4). Also you can run two phone lines over the same CAT cable

Not if you're running gigabit. Also, I wasn't talking about phone signals. I was talking about internet/ethernet. I'm well aware of what you can do with phone lines. 

Besides, all I was trying to do was explain what the board it. The technicalities don't really matter. Hell, if you want to get really technical, you could run 7 different signals through ethernet, assuming you made the 8th wire a common ground. And if you want to get REALLY technical, we could start talking about how since ethernet is rated for up to 125 megahertz, we could theoretically run a signal at varying frequencies all the way up to 125. In that case, we could realistically get tens or hundreds, if not thousands of signals across those wires. No need to get technical on this. It's a pretty pointless exercise.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Looks like a TAE (Phone connector) which is primarily used in Luxembourg and Germany. 

But the label and color of the cable don't match otherwise the resistor and diode seem to match the TAE specifications.

The ports should be labeled as

La Lb W E b2 a2

One cable should be connected to La and one to Lb.

Also do not try to plug it into an Ethernet port because there are 70-110V on phone lines.