HOW DOES THE XBOX ONE S BEAT A PC?

Carlos1010

I might not have enough for a pair of GTX 1080s, but I think my SLI 980 Tis will rofflestomp all over an XboneS.

Linus is my fetish.

1 hour ago, Ze_Mako said:

Going into detail on the exact specs would be a breach of my NDA. 

All good. Just curiosity anyways. Won't be using mine for gaming, have the rig for that. Mostly a glorified Roku xD 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

20 hours ago, Ze_Mako said:

Going into detail on the exact specs would be a breach of my NDA. 

Well today is today and Digital Foundry tested a Xbox One S. It does have a Polaris GPU and it is faster than a Xbox One. 11% faster in some games. Looks like is has a CPU bottleneck though, as the only games that don't improve are CPU bound. 

11 minutes ago, App4that said:

Well today is today and Digital Foundry tested a Xbox One S. It does have a Polaris GPU and it is faster than a Xbox One. 11% faster in some games. Looks like is has a CPU bottleneck though, as the only games that don't improve are CPU bound. 

11% faster would imply games now run at 33 or 66FPS, which to me doesn't make sense. It would make more sense if they can keep a minimum of either 30 or 60FPS better than the original model.

I'd also wager most console games are frame rate capped because well, it's convenient and deterministic.

21 hours ago, App4that said:

Something broke send help. I can only type in this box for some reason

PC: i3 6100/R9 380X 4GB/8GB DDR4/840GB worth of SSDs * rMBP: i7 4870HQ/GT 750M 2GB/16GB DDR3/512GB SSD * Wii U 8GB/XB1S 2TB

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

11% faster would imply games now run at 33 or 66FPS, which to me doesn't make sense. It would make more sense if they can keep a minimum of either 30 or 60FPS better than the original model.

I'd also wager most console games are frame rate capped because well, it's convenient and deterministic.

Uncapped games are running at a slightly higher FPS and games that are capped at or targeting 30fps are hitting a solid 30 and are seeing reduced frame tearing. Also, games that use a dynamic resolution are seeing a higher average resolution while keeping the targeted 60fps.

PC: i3 6100/R9 380X 4GB/8GB DDR4/840GB worth of SSDs * rMBP: i7 4870HQ/GT 750M 2GB/16GB DDR3/512GB SSD * Wii U 8GB/XB1S 2TB

I am surprised how many people seem to be confused about what the Xbox One S is.

It's just a slim Xbox One with HDMI 2.0 + HDR support.

It upscales games to 4K, and HDR compatible games will be coming but will probably be few and far between until the Neo / Scorpio hit next year.

Power wise, it's not any different than the One.

Honestly, the One S is a weird product which isn't a bad one, but it's just not a game console to me.

It's great if you are in the market for a UHD Bluray Player today, as this runs in the same price range as stand alones and has far more functionality.

It's basically like the PS3 back in 2006, but it won't have nearly the same longevity.

Oh, and the controller has been updated and tweaked a bit, a big perk being that it is bluetooth so you don't need the wireless dongle if you want to use it on your PC (obviously as long as you have a bluetooth radio in your PC).

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

23 minutes ago, Jon Jon said:

I am surprised how many people seem to be confused about what the Xbox One S is.

It's just a slim Xbox One with HDMI 2.0 + HDR support.

It upscales games to 4K, and HDR compatible games will be coming but will probably be few and far between until the Neo / Scorpio hit next year.

Power wise, it's not any different than the One.

Honestly, the One S is a weird product which isn't a bad one, but it's just not a game console to me.

It's great if you are in the market for a UHD Bluray Player today, as this runs in the same price range as stand alones and has far more functionality.

It's basically like the PS3 back in 2006, but it won't have nearly the same longevity.

Oh, and the controller has been updated and tweaked a bit, a big perk being that it is bluetooth so you don't need the wireless dongle if you want to use it on your PC (obviously as long as you have a bluetooth radio in your PC).

Well, they gave the GPU a speed nudge, so there's that.

Also I have no reason to believe the original XB1 won't get HDMI 2.0 and HDR support. The PS3 got an HDMI upgrade (to support 3D displays) without needing a new SKU

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Well, they gave the GPU a speed nudge, so there's that.

Also I have no reason to believe the original XB1 won't get HDMI 2.0 and HDR support. The PS3 got an HDMI upgrade (to support 3D displays) without needing a new SKU

That's great that it got a speed nudge.

HDMI 2.0 spec doesn't work that way, as there are hardware requirements associated with the spec that a standard HDMI 1.4 port simply can't just be updated to handle.

This isn't like first generation 4K TVs that were HDMI 2.0 ready at the hardware level before it was official and got firmware updates.

HDR + HDMI 2.0 have specific requirements, which the PS4 and XB1 simply don't support it.

3D wasn't really an HDMI change, as it was just bandwidth requirement and the first gen PS3 supported HDMI 1.3 (It had to in order to support 1080p, as that was a requirement to have 1080P video without audio sync problems).

I suggest looking up what makes HDMI 2.0, as prior HDMI versions were really only bumps in bandwidth support, not feature support (With the exclusion of HDMI-CEC and Ethernet with HDMI 1.4).

Desktop:

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Logitech G903 Mouse

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

9 minutes ago, Jon Jon said:

HDMI 2.0 spec doesn't work that way, as there are hardware requirements associated with the spec that a standard HDMI 1.4 port simply can't just be updated to handle.

This isn't like first generation 4K TVs that were HDMI 2.0 ready at the hardware level before it was official and got firmware updates.

HDR + HDMI 2.0 have specific requirements, which the PS4 and XB1 simply don't support it.

3D wasn't really an HDMI change, as it was just bandwidth requirement and the first gen PS3 supported HDMI 1.3 (It had to in order to support 1080p, as that was a requirement to have 1080P video without audio sync problems).

I suggest looking up what makes HDMI 2.0, as prior HDMI versions were really only bumps in bandwidth support, not feature support (With the exclusion of HDMI-CEC and Ethernet with HDMI 1.4).

Dude, it's literally a brand new GPU. It might not be the RX 480 Scopio might have but it is a 14nm Pascal GPU. 

It's still AMD iirc

10 minutes ago, App4that said:

Dude, it's literally a brand new GPU. It might not be the RX 480 Scopio might have but it is a 14nm Pascal GPU. 

Have the specs been released yet?

I would be surprised if they used a Pascal in it due to their relationship with AMD.

Desktop:

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Logitech G903 Mouse

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

1 minute ago, Jon Jon said:

Have the specs been released yet?

I would be surprised if they used a Pascal in it due to their relationship with AMD.

On 7/30/2016 at 5:22 PM, thekeemo said:

Neither have I but I read the Xbox one s will have 6 tflops

Guess what, it doesn't. 

3 minutes ago, Noire said:

Guess what, it doesn't. 

Tflops mean almost nothing. You only use them to compare like hardware.

1 hour ago, Jon Jon said:

1.4 also introduced audio return channel, which I'd argue that's a pretty significant feature.

10bpp and HDR isn't anything magical on the hardware side, it's a data format. As long as there was enough bandwidth from the beginning, you can update the firmware to support it.

GPUs have had features back ported before because they could support it, so this isn't any different.

12 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

1.4 also introduced audio return channel, which I'd argue that's a pretty significant feature.

10bpp and HDR isn't anything magical on the hardware side, it's a data format. As long as there was enough bandwidth from the beginning, you can update the firmware to support it.

GPUs have had features back ported before because they could support it, so this isn't any different.

ARC! I forgot about ARC. I wholeheartedly agree as I use that in my setup.

I checked up at the official website, and you are indeed correct:

"Can my existing HDMI 1.x devices be upgraded with HDMI 2.0 features?

Currently, there are no provisions for doing such an upgrade. Because of the new enhanced feature set, any such conversion would require hardware and/or firmware upgrades. If there are such conversions, it would come from the manufacturer. Please check with them directly. "

Source: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0_faq.aspx#119

So it is possible, but not likely.

However, do remember this is HDMI 2.0, and 2.0b is required for HDR.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/index.aspx

Though GCN (Remember what hardware is in the PS4 and XBO) natively supports 4K resolution, as I know it does not support the hardware acceleration for UHD 4K Bluray content:

http://www.whathifi.com/advice/ultra-hd-blu-ray-everything-you-need-to-know

http://www.techspot.com/article/1131-hevc-h256-enconding-playback/

The PS4 does not support it at all, but the original Xbox One seems to!

However, I doubt Microsoft will go through the motions to provide a firmware update to grant that capability, as it is the major selling point of the One S.

Desktop:

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro