Conect 2 pcs with cable

bredao

Hi guys!

I've bought a desktop and I wanna transfer all my files from my notebook to my destktop. Notebook win 7 and desktop win 10.

Ryzen 5 5600x -- 2x8 Kingston Hyperx fury 8gb 2133mhz/2400Mhz -- Sandisk SSD Ultra II 120gb/240gb -- PSU EVGA 600b B1 -- Case Cougar Gemini S -- Mobo ASROCK B450M Steel Legend -- GTX 1060 6GB Galaxy

USBs, Dropbox, or just connect both to the same network and transfer files over the network(if you are using windows that is, otherwise idk)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

USBs, Dropbox, or just connect both to the same network and transfer files over the network(if you are using windows that is, otherwise idk)

I've done it already, but the transfer is to slow 1mb/s. How can I make it faster?

Ryzen 5 5600x -- 2x8 Kingston Hyperx fury 8gb 2133mhz/2400Mhz -- Sandisk SSD Ultra II 120gb/240gb -- PSU EVGA 600b B1 -- Case Cougar Gemini S -- Mobo ASROCK B450M Steel Legend -- GTX 1060 6GB Galaxy

Just now, bredao said:

I've done it already, but the transfer is to slow 1mb/s. How can I make it faster?

better network cable, more direct connection and a better router, thats about it, if you dont happen to have multiple ethernet ports on that netbook and on your PC in which case you could do it with 2 cables for theoreticly doubble the speed but that takes time to set up and im not 100% sure on how to even do it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

better network cable, more direct connection and a better router, thats about it, if you dont happen to have multiple ethernet ports on that netbook and on your PC in which case you could do it with 2 cables for theoreticly doubble the speed but that takes time to set up and im not 100% sure on how to even do it

I wanna do it with cable cuz it's faster than wifi

Just connect them together with an ethernet cable and go into network settings and set them to have the same subnet mask and different IP addresses.

Example:

Laptop: 192.168.1.1

PC: 192.168.1.2

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

You can leave Default Gateway blank.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

Just connect them together with an ethernet cable and go into network settings and set them to have the same subnet mask and different IP addresses.

Example:

Laptop: 192.168.1.1

PC: 192.168.1.2

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

You can leave Default Gateway blank.

ok but what about login and pass?

7 minutes ago, bredao said:

ok but what about login and pass?

You should just be able to right click on a folder and share it across the network or type in the address bar of Windows Explorer \\192.168.1.X where x is the IP of the other computer. If asked for a username/password it should be that of the other computer.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

You should just be able to right click on a folder and share it across the network or type in the address bar of Windows Explorer \\192.168.1.X where x is the IP of the other computer. If asked for a username/password it should be that of the other computer.

hmm but both pc don't have pass. How can I fix it ?

6 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Link aggregation doesn't work that way... It's for multiple clients accessing one server where the speed it noticed. Link aggregation is more for load balancing than anything.

My native language is C++

if conectiong the computers together with one cable no router remember to get a crossover cable

1 hour ago, tt2468 said:

Link aggregation doesn't work that way... It's for multiple clients accessing one server where the speed it noticed. Link aggregation is more for load balancing than anything.

it can speed it up because its splitting the load but yes, its not what its made for

Builds:

Spoiler

If both computers have gigabit network cards, you can create a direct connection between computers using a regular network cable (like the one you'd use between your computer and a router, or a switch).

If one of the computers can only do up to 100 mbps, then to connect computers directly to each other, you will need a special network cable called "crossover cable" - it's like the regular network cables but a couple of wires inside the jacks are inverted at one end.

Alternatively, you can search for a switch or a router and use two regular network cables to connect each computer to the switch or router, and the switch/router moves the data between the cables.

Once you have the two computers linked, you have to put them in the same network. Configure unique IPs to each computer (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 for example, and 255.255.255.0 on both for subnet mask) and they should see each other just fine.

Once you do this, you can in theory just SHARE a particular folder, and you should then see the folder from the other computer. If asked for a password, that would your username and password from when you log into Windows.

If you don't want to mess around with sharing, you can set up a FTP server on one computer, and use a FTP client on the other computer to download files from the computer with the ftp server software installed, or upload files to it.

On Windows, Filezilla FTP server is very easy to install and configure, and Filezilla FTP client is also a very easy to use ftp client.  FTP allows you to transfer several files at the same time, making large transfers finish faster.

If you don't know how to install Filezilla FTP server, Youtube is full of tutorials, here's a more recent one :