Tim Sweeney believes that Microsoft will harm Steam with Windows 10 updates

Misanthrope
Just now, manikyath said:

majority of those "illiterates" end up buying a windows machine because they're cheaper and pinker tho :P

Yeah, which is why i always get those family members that are like "speed up my laptop again", you know, install malwarebytes, do a scan, detect 14 million items, laptop is fast again. At least macs are fashionable now, so there will be less of this in the future.

Just now, Misanthrope said:

Actually they end up buying tablets more and more. I maintain that PCs as a regular consumer appliance will tend to disappear leaving a market for just enthusiasts and developers.

i can only hope eventually idiots stop buying €200 laptops and wonder why they're slow as hell, and only get slower as they install 500 browser plugins, and get angry when you mention it could be malware.

BREAKING NEWS: Tim Sweeney thinks a thing. It will probably happen now!

I can't wait to prove him wrong in 5 years. He's such a tinfoil hat wearing douchebag.

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i can only hope eventually idiots stop buying €200 laptops and wonder why they're slow as hell, and only get slower as they install 500 browser plugins, and get angry when you mention it could be malware.

Whenever I have to do these malware checks its computers that their kids have access to, so you see the "play free minecraft online *when you install the definately not adware maybe malware internet explorer 8 extension", and its like a link to the online demo on their website.

Just now, spidsepttk said:

Whenever I have to do these malware checks its computers that their kids have access to, so you see the "play free minecraft online *when you install the definately not adware maybe malware internet explorer 8 extension", and its like a link to the online demo on their website.

Not "will" but actually do see already: Search the play store for free wifi or crack wifi.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Not "will" but actually do see already: Search the play store for free wifi or crack wifi.

WiFi password cracker- (prank)- screenshot

HAHA people actually download this???

2 hours ago, spidsepttk said:

The Raspberry Pi is technically a PC because it uses an x86 processor that allows it to run software for PC, like Windows.

The Raspberry Pi actually uses an ARM processor. That's why it can't run the full Windows 10 version. It has to use the IoT version.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Android can because it has in the past.

Windows 10 Mobile (despite being similar to Windows 10) cannot, in it's current state, run on a PC. It runs on ARM devices. Not x86 or x64. IOS can't run on any PC or the other way around. IOS is ARM only.

And your lack of knowledge on types of kernels is quite apparent. Their architectures are not similar.

Linux is Monolithic. Apple is hybrid while using BSD as a base. Microsoft is hybrid while using Windows NT.

The different kernel architectures are actually completely irrelevant to which CPU architecture they support. It's not because Linux is a monolithic kernel that Android can run on x86 or ARM. It's not because OS X uses a hybrid kernel that it does not run on ARM.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

I have used Visual Studio 2015.

What you download is the files required which are part of the Win32 API, the .NET framework, MFC, ATL, and all the Windows Visual C++ templates they offer you as well as the Compiler, debugger and whatnot.

The reason why Atom is so small is because it uses the internet to determine whether or not your syntax is correct. Visual Studio has all the syntax downloaded so your PC can have no internet and still be able to debug a program.

That's not true.

Atom is not small because it uses the Internet to determine if a syntax is correct or not. It is small because Atom is a text editor while Visual Studio is an IDE.

It's not the text editor which tells you if you got a syntax error or not. The compiler does. Atom does not even include a compiler.

Compilers are not large files by the way. Most certainly not ~5GB or however much bigger Visual Studio is compared to Atom. GCC (which is not a small compiler, and supports a lot of languagess and a huge amount of architectures, is something like 100MB. For comparison, TCC (Tiny C Compiler) is about 350KB (yes, kilobytes). Out of those 350KB, about 150KB are the included .h files.

So you only need about 500KB worth of code to be able to detect syntax errors in C code. I have no idea where you got the idea that Atom needs to stream it from the Internet from.

7 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Put on your fireproof suit this is bound to quickly turn into a flame war

Seems like Tim here believes there's an ulterior motive for Windows to be pushing UWP even though the complains about initial games launched on them where not insignificant or unfounded:

So basically he believes Windows just wants to hamper the progress of Steam (and ultimately Origin and Uplay and gog as well) by just annoying the shit out of you when trying to run win32 apps (read: virtually all PC games) and if we know anything is that Microsoft is a bit of a legendary master at the arts of annoyance.

What do you guys think? Personally (and this might surprise many coming out of me) I am not so quick to attribute to malice when this can be easily attributed to just stupidity. He has no substancial evidence on his conjecture but I would never the less would call it an educated guess given Microsoft's track record.

Ultimately though I doubt they could succeed simply because if they're too heavy handed trade comissions around the world would be all over them and if they're not heavy handed enough people could just move to Linux and Vulkan: we're just 1 successfull and user friendly distro away from that (Though given the chaotic state of affairs on Linux that's still an extremely tall order)

Any way flame on guys.

Sauce link:http://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/tim_sweeney_believes_that_microsoft_will_harm_steam_with_windows_10_updates/1

What prevents Steam from releasing "UWP apps" out of the windows store?

6 hours ago, spidsepttk said:

Just Microsoft's attempt of making the App Store. It won't work. I wish people would just forget about Windows, it is only used because game devs won't make their games compatible with multiple operating systems. Microsoft are recently forgetting that Windows is not UNIX based, and based on shitty MSDOS that has a lot of security risks, and it is much harder for an antivirus to work on a MSDOS based operating system than in a UNIX based system because drivers are stored the Windows folder instead of a different location from the files required for the system to function. The reason why there are many more viruses for Windows systems is because Windows does not have something called superuser that is found in UNIX based systems. To run any command that could be potentially harmful on a UNIX system you have to enter the root password by running sudo.

Linux is statistically irrelevant for home users.

1 minute ago, RagnarokDel said:

Microsoft doesn't allow it.

1 minute ago, RagnarokDel said:

Mac OS is UNIX based and contains a superuser. You have to enter the root password when you install software or make potentially harmful changes to a mac.

8 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

Not actually sure. I assume vendors just wouldn't pay twice to sell a game on the same store: one comission to steam and one to Windows. I mean it happens with Ubi, but that's because they just want people on their platform Uplay. Any third party dev would just release 2 separate versions one for each store instead of paying double sales comission for a single ítem sold.

-------

Current Rig

-------

32 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

1. I am a home user that uses Linux as their main OS.

2. Linux was not mentioned one time in that post, only UNIX.

3. macOS is a UNIX based OS, and that seems pretty damn relevant for the home market.

4. Chromebooks and Android are both Linux based. Again, pretty damn relevant.

5. SteamOS is based on Debian, so Valve definitely thinks it's relevant.

6. Ubuntu exists specifically to make using Linux easier for normal people ("Linux for human beings" used to be their slogan).

5 hours ago, spidsepttk said:

I once met this guy that told me that CMD is shit and that i should use a different terminal for my Windows computer, I didn't do that because I don't use CMD on my windows machine enough to make a big deal about it.

I assume he was talking about PowerShell, which you can replace CMD with.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Why are we talking about the CMD though? The last Windows OS that was actually running off a DOS system was Windows 98. Ever since NT it's not actually running off DOS it just provide a command prompt for legacy administration but it should be all handled via GUI.

-------

Current Rig

-------

frabz-We-are-Microsoft-Resistance-Is-Fut

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

4 hours ago, iwasaperson said:

1. I am a home user that uses Linux as their main OS.

2. Linux was not mentioned one time in that post, only UNIX.

3. macOS is a UNIX based OS, and that seems pretty damn relevant for the home market.

4. Chromebooks and Android are both Linux based. Again, pretty damn relevant.

5. SteamOS is based on Debian, so Valve definitely thinks it's relevant.

6. Ubuntu exists specifically to make using Linux easier for normal people ("Linux for human beings" used to be their slogan).

We are clearly talking about gaming when talking about Steam. Linux represents 0.8% of Steam users. It is literally within margins of error.

3 hours ago, AlexTheRose said:

(Whoops) My mother is 46 years old and staunchly prefers GNU/Linux over Windows. She doesn’t appreciate what Microsoft is doing and when I gave her the choice between WinX and Linux, she chose the latter. Think about that.

Do you know what statistically irrelevant is? Your mother is not every 46 years old women in the world.

i think dude forgot to take his pills , he sounds crazy , especially considering that MS said they might release games on Steam, if anything Steam should clean it's shit (gambling) to make a proper market for PC games

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

10 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Microsoft doesn't allow it.

Actually it wouldn't work EVEN IF Microsoft allowed it.

Because steam doesn't now how Appx files work.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 hours ago, Notional said:

I assume he was talking about PowerShell, which you can replace CMD with.

No, he told me to compile an alternative.

On Tuesday, July 26, 2016 at 11:13 PM, LAwLz said:

The Raspberry Pi actually uses an ARM processor. That's why it can't run the full Windows 10 version. It has to use the IoT version.

The different kernel architectures are actually completely irrelevant to which CPU architecture they support. It's not because Linux is a monolithic kernel that Android can run on x86 or ARM. It's not because OS X uses a hybrid kernel that it does not run on ARM.

That's not true.

Atom is not small because it uses the Internet to determine if a syntax is correct or not. It is small because Atom is a text editor while Visual Studio is an IDE.

It's not the text editor which tells you if you got a syntax error or not. The compiler does. Atom does not even include a compiler.

Compilers are not large files by the way. Most certainly not ~5GB or however much bigger Visual Studio is compared to Atom. GCC (which is not a small compiler, and supports a lot of languagess and a huge amount of architectures, is something like 100MB. For comparison, TCC (Tiny C Compiler) is about 350KB (yes, kilobytes). Out of those 350KB, about 150KB are the included .h files.

So you only need about 500KB worth of code to be able to detect syntax errors in C code. I have no idea where you got the idea that Atom needs to stream it from the Internet from.

There is also a less than 40kb java OS for IoT,which shows you can do much with literally nothing :)

why are people saying this is so unlikely, it makes great sense from a business point of view. Think about it, if they wont make further versions of microsoft windows(other than updates) then this would be the only revenue stream. 
And i mean like srsly no one will ever move over to linux, i like the different OS's a lot, but pls mainstream not in a hundred years. They don't even know what an OS is.

11 minutes ago, Valli said:

why are people saying this is so unlikely, it makes great sense from a business point of view. Think about it, if they wont make further versions of microsoft windows(other than updates) then this would be the only revenue stream. 

selling windows licenses  aren't microsoft's only revenue source though