Tim Sweeney believes that Microsoft will harm Steam with Windows 10 updates

Misanthrope
7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

exactly. and why is that so? because photoshop runs off of a big corp that makes the software powerful, easy to use, and available. adobe doesnt charge you large amounts of money "randomly" for their software, it's because that's what they need to make their software so awesome.

That's not necessarily a problem inherent to free software. Big Budget software can be rather shitty just remember Ubisoft's track record this last couple of years.

By the same token I gave you an example of free software that manages to get enough backing to actually be fairly capable like Redhat and even projects like Apache, mysql, etc. Are fairly robust solutions.

Even big companies like Google routiney support projects like AngularJS since is on their best interest to just get people to quickly develop for their platform since they'll make their money later by attracting users that generate add revenue.

What you're saying is true for some projects like Gimp and I can concede that this is the majority of open source Projects but #AllLivesMatter: free software can be awesome too.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, AlexTheRose said:

As of December 31, 2015, Nintendo reports 57.94 million 3DS consoles sold worldwide. Source

As closed-off as the 3DS is, it fits my game a lot better than any PC platform. UWP being UWP isn’t magically going to change the fact that my game would be hindered by being on such an overpowered platform by virtue of how simple its engine will be.

Well that's the beauty of UWP. It can run on Xbox One, Windows Phone, Desktop gaming PC, Ultrabooks and even Raspberry Pi.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

I'm sorry but you said contradictory things in the same sentence.

They do not. The platform that would bring in the most money is Windows, so they do not make the games for Linux operating systems, which is why like half of my steam library works on my linux pc.

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

But who uses a 3DS?

Over 350 Million people use Windows 10 and can take advantage UWP.

2 minutes ago, AlexTheRose said:

As of December 31, 2015, Nintendo reports 57.94 million 3DS consoles sold worldwide. Source

As closed-off as the 3DS is, it fits my game a lot better than any PC platform. UWP being UWP isn’t magically going to change the fact that my game would be hindered by being on such an overpowered platform by virtue of how simple its engine will be.

And that's just the base 3DS. Not the XL or the New 3DS.

Well that's the beauty of UWP. It can run on Xbox One, Windows Phone, Desktop gaming PC, Ultrabooks and even Raspberry Pi.

There is a Windows Raspberry Pi?

Just now, spidsepttk said:

They do not. The platform that would bring in the most money is Windows, so they do not make the games for Linux operating systems, which is why like half of my steam library works on my linux pc.

I'm surprised half work. That either means you are so desperate you will play any game on Linux OR that means that the kind of games you play, the devs are nice and want as many people to play as possible.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, spidsepttk said:

Yes. You can run Windows 10 on the Raspberry Pi 2 or 3 .

Since it technically meets minimum requirements.

It can run on Windows 10 Internet of Things Core Edition (IoT Core).

I'm surprised half work. That either means you are so desperate you will play any game on Linux OR that means that the kind of games you play, the devs are nice and want as many people to play as possible.

Yeah, i tend to buy indie games like Kerbal Space Program where the developers dont just work for the money, and like raising a community.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

It can run on Windows 10 Internet of Things Core (IoT Core).

Your statement "Xbox One, Windows Phone, Desktop gaming PC, Ultrabooks and even Raspberry Pi." should have been "Xbox One, Windows Phone and future versions of Windows"

Good operating systems let you install it even if they don't think the computer is powerful enough to run it.

EDIT:

Technically the Raspberry Pi is a PC

It can run on Windows 10 Internet of Things Core Edition (IoT Core).

Hold on. Let me get my graphic.

3 minutes ago, spidsepttk said:

universalapps-overview.png

Every time I see that I can only think "Trololense" the internet has ruined me.

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, spidsepttk said:

Your statement "Xbox One, Windows Phone, Desktop gaming PC, Ultrabooks and even Raspberry Pi." should have been "Xbox One, Windows Phone and future versions of Windows"

Good operating systems let you install it even if they don't think the computer is powerful enough to run it.

EDIT:

Technically the Raspberry Pi is a PC

Actually it's an "Internet of Things" Device.

Just now, Misanthrope said:

That's not necessarily a problema inherent to free software. Big Budget software can be rather shitty just remember Ubisoft's track record this last couple of years.

By the same token I gave you an example of free software that manages to get enough backing to actually be fairly capable like Redhat and even projects like Apache, mysql, etc. Are fairly robust solutions.

Even big companies like Google routiney support projects like AngularJS since is on their best interest to just get people to quickly develop for their platform since they'll make their money later by attracting users that generate add revenue.

What you're saying is true for some projects like Gimp and I can concede that this is the majority of open source Project but #AllLivesMatter: free software can be awesome too.

the problem is that free software needs a following of "caring" people to be awesome, your mentioned projects are just that, they are unable to be missed in our modern world. apache for example, is probably THE biggest website hosting software out there (cba to fish up stats rigth now) which means at least some of those are companies caring enough to keep the boat floating.

the issue is, when you come down to a user level, things like gimp, and even libreoffice often leave lots to be desired. i use both of these programs regularly, but i am not satisfied with them to the point i'd give more than "a fiver" to the companies that made them, if given the chance to do so easily. (which... i'm not gonna rant about it, its not easy here...)

i get your point, and i deeply hope that big corporations understand the importance of something like an opensource office suite which FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DOESNT USE PROPRIETARY FILE FORMATS, MICROSOFT.

(i know docx isnt "proprietary", but opening it in different office suites still proves to be problematic every so often)

and even then, these people need to understand the point of "free software" not meaning "oh, this doesnt cost money" but rather "use this as you want, and support the project if you like what we do."

i've tried it, i've tried countless times explaining to the "corporate minds" of my family why donating to free software, or even as simple as tipping a livestreamer that's entertaining essentially for free just like free software, and they dont understand, they cannot grasp why you would ever give money to someone when you are not forced to.

in the words of bryan lunduke: "it works, it makes no sense that it does, but it works"

how do you explain a buisiness model that works, but makes no sense that it does?

Hold on. Let me get my graphic.

No, i understand that Windows runs on the Raspberry Pi, but Windows claiming that their new software is "universal" is fucking pathetic. People should be able to use whatever OS they like and not be restricted by the software only being compatible on shitty windows. And they want money is not a good excuse. Khronos did it with OpenGL, and gnu tools are completely universal too.

Also, Windows is based on extremely outdated software that is vulnerable to viruses, and that wont change, because Microsoft is obsessed with their software always being the best.

Actually it's an "Internet of Things" Device.

The Raspberry Pi is technically a PC because it uses an x86 processor that allows it to run software for PC, like Windows.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the problem is that free software needs a following of "caring" people to be awesome, your mentioned projects are just that, they are unable to be missed in our modern world. apache for example, is probably THE biggest website hosting software out there (cba to fish up stats rigth now) which means at least some of those are companies caring enough to keep the boat floating.

the issue is, when you come down to a user level, things like gimp, and even libreoffice often leave lots to be desired. i use both of these programs regularly, but i am not satisfied with them to the point i'd give more than "a fiver" to the companies that made them, if given the chance to do so easily. (which... i'm not gonna rant about it, its not easy here...)

i get your point, and i deeply hope that big corporations understand the importance of something like an opensource office suite which FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DOESNT USE PROPRIETARY FILE FORMATS, MICROSOFT.

(i know docx isnt "proprietary", but opening it in different office suites still proves to be problematic every so often)

and even then, these people need to understand the point of "free software" not meaning "oh, this doesnt cost money" but rather "use this as you want, and support the project if you like what we do."

i've tried it, i've tried countless times explaining to the "corporate minds" of my family why donating to free software, or even as simple as tipping a livestreamer that's entertaining essentially for free just like free software, and they dont understand, they cannot grasp why you would ever give money to someone when you are not forced to.

in the words of bryan lunduke: "it works, it makes no sense that it does, but it works"

how do you explain a buisiness model that works, but makes no sense that it does?

Well Marx theorized that the reason we behave like that is because our modern Capitalist society has removed any inherent value to the work people do unless it immediately and directly produces a profit.

But here we are talking about Linux and Marxism just as it was predicted above xD

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, AlexTheRose said:

It’s “universal” in the sense of the Microsoft Universe, where their monopoly goes unchecked and they rake in billions of dollars for basically building a walled garden. ;)

This exactly explains why i do not like Microsoft's approach to the future of software.

Just now, spidsepttk said:

The Raspberry Pi is technically a PC because it uses an x86 processor that allows it to run software for PC, like Windows.

but it isn't. It doesn't run desktop Windows 10. As I said, it runs Windows 10 IoT core. It's meant to be used to create things with it. it's not meant to be used like a PC.

but it isn't. It doesn't run desktop Windows 10. As I said, it runs Windows 10 IoT core. It's meant to be used to create things with it. it's not meant to be used like a PC.

I did not mean it is a PC as in it is meant to be a PC. It is a PC the same way that a modern smartphone is a PC. Android or Windows Phone could work on any x86 machine, as long as you can find an image to boot of, so yeah, a touch screen might help, but any PC can run Android, IOS, Windows Phone and even more software. They are all based on the same architecture that modern computers run.

Just now, Misanthrope said:

Well Marx theorized that the reason we behave like that is because our modern Capitalist society has removed any inherent value to the work people do unless it immediately and directly produces a profit.

But here we are talking about Linux and Marxism just as it was predicted above xD

to be honest with you, that statement isnt wrong.

a slice of belgium for you:

- every year the red cross does an action where you can "give €5 to charity and get a sticker", the only reason people "give" €5 to charity is because that sticker is a social requirement at that time of year.

- when you're out and about having a drink at the city, and someone comes around playing music for money, you are socially required to give the man something, so they end up with 500 pieces of 1 eurocent.

- piracy is more widely accepted than you'd expect, because "its just a copy, its not actually stolen"

3 minutes ago, spidsepttk said:

I did not mean it is a PC as in it is meant to be a PC. It is a PC the same way that a modern smartphone is a PC. Android or Windows Phone could work on any x86 machine, as long as you can find an image to boot of, so yeah, a touch screen might help, but any PC can run Android, IOS, Windows Phone and even more software. They are all based on the same architecture that modern computers run.

Android can because it has in the past.

Windows 10 Mobile (despite being similar to Windows 10) cannot, in it's current state, run on a PC. It runs on ARM devices. Not x86 or x64. IOS can't run on any PC or the other way around. IOS is ARM only.

And your lack of knowledge on types of kernels is quite apparent. Their architectures are not similar.

Linux is Monolithic. Apple is hybrid  while using BSD as a base. Microsoft is hybrid while using Windows NT.

7 minutes ago, spidsepttk said:

raspberry pi is arm. please check your facts before someone makes you feel stupid.

if anything a pi is a phone without a display, battery, or buttons.

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

to be honest with you, that statement isnt wrong.

a slice of belgium for you:

- every year the red cross does an action where you can "give €5 to charity and get a sticker", the only reason people "give" €5 to charity is because that sticker is a social requirement at that time of year.

- when you're out and about having a drink at the city, and someone comes around playing music for money, you are socially required to give the man something, so they end up with 500 pieces of 1 eurocent.

- piracy is more widely accepted than you'd expect, because "its just a copy, its not actually stolen"

Marx wasn't wrong in his diagnosis of what went on during his time, his theory of commodity fetishism still holds true. He just proposed an abysmal solution that creates a disease worst than the sickness he's trying to cure.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, manikyath said:

raspberry pi is arm. please check your facts before someone makes you feel stupid.

if anything a pi is a phone without a display, battery, or buttons.

How come Linux works on ARM and x86? Or is there some kind of difference between the OS on the Pi and other linux operating systems?

4 minutes ago, spidsepttk said:

How come Linux works on ARM and x86? Or is there some kind of difference between the OS on the Pi and other linux operating systems?

The Linux kernell is actually coded to work on a mryad of different architectures includying x86 and ARM. Windows however only recently has supported ARM at all.

-------

Current Rig

-------