Why are some SSDs significantly more expensive than others?

Hello everyone!  I've been searching online for a 240GB/250GB SSD and I tend to notice a few things.  For raw cost per gigabyte, PNY and Kingston SSDs tend to be on the cheaper end for storage, ADATA and Transcend and OWC SSDs tend to be moderately priced, and Samsung and Intel (and lately SanDisk with it's ExtremePro) SSDs tend to be very expensive for the same amount of storage.  I've wondered why this is.  I don't think differences in market success and marketing add up to make this huge price difference.

So I am wondering this: are Intel and Samsung (and the SanDisk ExtremePro) SSDs more durable?  Do they include more features?  Do they include better warranties?  Do they include better support?

If it is due to durability, please inform me and other forum users about why these drives are more durable?  If the price difference is due to features (TRIM, etc.), please include those in your answers.  Warranties, same deal.  Support, same deal.

Thank you to everyone who puts the time to answer this earnestly!  9_9

the speed and how long they will last. Mostly having to do with what kind of flash nan they use.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Because some use cheap FLASH and some dont. TLC is not as good as NAND

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

the speed and how long they will last. Mostly having to do with what kind of flash nan they use.

Not necessarily. If you look at the (manufacturer) specs of a PNY SSD vs. the Samsung equivalent of the same capacity, the PNY one actually has better performance. Honestly, as a PNY owner, I can wholeheartedly recommend it. I've had it for a few months and I haven't had a single problem so far, I've even disassembled it and reassembled it and it still worked. 

I will most likely not respond to you in a thread unless you quote me.

$500 PC | $800 PC | $1000 PC | $1200 PC | $1500 PC | $2000 PC | $2500 PC | $3000 PC | $4000 PC

Spoiler

Damnit Carl (My portable POS):

CPU: Core i7-6700HQ

Motherboard: Toshiba L55-C5392 Mobo

RAM: 8GB DDR3 (even though I have Skylake)

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530

Case: Toshiba L55-C5392 Case

Storage: 525 GB Crucial MX300 SSD

PSU: Whatever power jack comes with it

Display: Some 1366 x 768 garbage + an OK 1080p monitor

Cooling: Not enough + an external laptop tray

Keyboard: The included one

Mouse: $4 Lenovo 3D Optical Mouse (not as bad as you (rightly) assumed)

Sound: The Skullcandy branding right under the power button should clue you in

Operating System: Windows 10 Home

PCPartPicker URL: pcpartpicker.com/i-wish-i-had-enough-money-for-a-desktop-my-laptop-is-so-sh*t-its-not-even-on-portablepicker

5 minutes ago, VPrime said:

-snip

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

So in general, NAND is better, if I understand correctly?  IOPS?

3 minutes ago, VPrime said:

So in general, NAND is better, if I understand correctly?  IOPS?

It can be better NAND, can be better controller, can be better firmware, can be better testing and validation, can be added features, can be capacitors to protect the drive from sudden power failure, can be just brand name value, or it can be random pricing weirdness.

I suppose warranty may also come into play. Samsung, as an example, offers 5 years on many of their SSDs, while many other brands offer 3 years. Basically, they're guaranteeing that it should work fine for at least that long, but really, as long as your SSD isn't defective/damaged, isn't too hot, and isn't being torture-tested 24/7, it should be one of the last parts to ever fail in a PC.

usually SSD can be categorized in 3 different types other then capacity. 

the TLC, MLC, and SLC 

TLC (Triple Level Cell) - The most commonly used type in SSD because of it's lower cost, but it has a higher chance of failure compared to the other two. 

MLC (Multi Level Cell) - This type cost a little more expensive compared to TLC, but it does last longer. I am using a ADATA SX900 SSD (MLC) for about 3 years now without any problems. 

SLC (Single Level Cell) - The most expensive, longest lifespan type. Not many daily users will go for these. The majority of users choose TLC because of the cost.