Lenovo to increase UK Prices by 10%

Original Source: http://www.overclock3d.net/news/systems/lenovo_will_soon_be_increasing_their_prices_in_the_uk/1

lenovo-logo_1.jpg

Title says it all. Lenovo are to increase all their prices in the UK as of August 1st 2016 to combat the ever instable GBP to USD following the Brexit Vote.

That now makes Lenovo the 4th company in the computing space to do this, following the lead of Dell, HP and more recently Asus.

While they state they waited long enough - this move had now become an "inevitability" 

We have unfortunately reached the limit of what we could do to mitigate this impact and a price increase has now become unavoidable. As such we hereby give notice that from 1 August 2016 all prices expressed in GBP will be increased by 10 per cent.

My thoughts?

I can understand why they are doing this, but it still sucks. Especially since the UK add on VAT of about 20%.

So not only will we have to deal with the conversion from USD to GBP, we would now, potentially have to pay an extra 30% on Lenovo goods.

(I might be wrong on that, but that's how I potentially see what is going to happen)

I really hope the instability in the GBP evens out sooner rather than later.

Your thoughts? Please leave them down below!

Edited by Alexp10v2
added more to my opinion

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

Brexit voters are dumb - those are my thoughts :D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

4 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Brexit voters are dumb - those are my thoughts :D

The lackadaisical politicians hovering their hands over the Article 50 button just to piss Germany and France off are worse......

Like, I'm neutral on the matter, but holy shit can politicians just hurry up? Oh wait, that would imply they have a plan for this as opposed to just setting up a hair-brained referendum just for the lulz. Now David Cameron's jumped the sinking ship, Boris Johnson (who made it hit the iceberg) refused to take the wheel and now we're stuck with Margaret Thatcher 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Get me out of the Anglosphere pls.

Anyhow, Lenovo, yes, uhh...I wouldn't be too bothered about this if it wasn't for the recent issues Lenovo have been having with vulnerabilities found in their products to the extent that they are very dangerous unpatched. Raising the prices for potentially dangerous hardware isn't especially cool with me regardless of the reason.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

1 minute ago, daniellearmouth said:

The lackadaisical politicians hovering their hands over the Article 50 button just to piss Germany and France off are worse......

Like, I'm neutral on the matter, but holy shit can politicians just hurry up? Oh wait, that would imply they have a plan for this as opposed to just setting up a hair-brained referendum just for the lulz. Now David Cameron's jumped the sinking ship, Boris Johnson (who made it hit the iceberg) refused to take the wheel and now we're stuck with Margaret Thatcher 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Anyhow, Lenovo, yes, uhh...I wouldn't be too bothered about this if it wasn't for the recent issues Lenovo have been having with vulnerabilities found in their products to the extent that they are very dangerous unpatched. Raising the prices for potentially dangerous hardware isn't especially cool with me regardless of the reason.

Wait, what vulnerabilities?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Please lower Canadian prices

a fucking 390 here is $526

a 480 is $400

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Wait, what vulnerabilities?

Earlier this year in May, there was a vulnerability in the Lenovo Solution Center application on laptops and desktops sold by Lenovo. Said vulnerability would allow for a hacker to run whatever code they wanted by elevating privileges and running code through the application's backend. It got fixed within days, though, so it's not so bad, but given this is the second major security vulnerability in Lenovo products (or at least as far as I've seen) in about two years......that's kinda put a dent in their reputation a little bit, if I may say so.

DAYTONA

Just now, themctipers said:

a 480 is $400

The Canadian dollar is weak, and changes too much to have lower prices. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

So when (if) the pound returns to its value the companies are going to lower their prices? Thought not, imo they were just waiting for some reason to hike their prices and this was the perfect excuse. 

4 minutes ago, marldorthegreat said:

The Canadian dollar is weak, and changes too much to have lower prices. 

From 1.31 to 1.32 yeah. 

380 is $300.

pls

i7 6700 is $500 and 6700k is $550

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Can we just agree, politicians all lie, cannot be trusted and generally irritate people?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

1 minute ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Can we just agree, politicians all lie, cannot be trusted and generally irritate people?

Well, I wouldn't say all of them.

To be honest, the most honest politician I've seen in a while is Jeremy Corbyn. Chiefly because he's a politician who actually gives a shit.

DAYTONA

Just now, daniellearmouth said:

To be honest, the most honest politician I've seen in a while is Jeremy Corbyn. Chiefly because he's a politician who actually gives a shit.

I don't really agree with Corbyn's policies, but he does seem to be honest and speak his mind.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

15 minutes ago, themctipers said:

a 480 is $400

I will gladly pay every price if i live there. I hate fucking germany but i have to stay nother 3 years until my study is finished.

12 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Not all are bad eggs...

http://www.jeremycorbyn.org.uk/

Edit: Ha @daniellearmouth already mentioned him.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

1 minute ago, Citadelen said:

Not all are bad eggs...

http://www.jeremycorbyn.org.uk/

8 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

I don't really agree with Corbyn's policies, but he does seem to be honest and speak his mind.

9 minutes ago, daniellearmouth said:

I kind of cover this...

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

47 minutes ago, daniellearmouth said:

Earlier this year in May, there was a vulnerability in the Lenovo Solution Center application on laptops and desktops sold by Lenovo. Said vulnerability would allow for a hacker to run whatever code they wanted by elevating privileges and running code through the application's backend. It got fixed within days, though, so it's not so bad, but given this is the second major security vulnerability in Lenovo products (or at least as far as I've seen) in about two years......that's kinda put a dent in their reputation a little bit, if I may say so.

Oh, I never even downloaded that POS thing so I guess it went by me unnoticed. As for SuperFish - that was only on ideaPads - ThinkPads (the real meat of Lenovo) weren't affected

2 hours ago, daniellearmouth said:

Hurrying up would actually destabilize the economy more. Like a metric ton more (trust me a metric ton on imperial it's still a lot).

As much as you might be hurting right now, waiting until new trade agreements with most major countries have been made is actually the more sensible choice vs "Invoke and gtfo"

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, Alexp10v2 said:

My thoughts?

I can understand why they are doing this, but it still sucks. Especially since the UK add on VAT of about 20%.

So not only will we have to deal with the conversion from USD to GBP, we would now, potentially have to pay an extra 30% on Lenovo goods.

(I might be wrong on that, but that's how I potentially see what is going to happen)

I really hope the instability in the GBP evens out sooner rather than later.

Your thoughts? Please leave them down below!

The 20% tax was already in place so you were already paying essentially 120%, the 10% plus 2% VAT due to the price increase makes the total increase only 12%. Still bad, but not 30% bad.

Edit: Also the pound has mostly stabilized which is why they're raising prices. It's stabilized at a lower position and people aren't expecting an increase soon.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W