So I'm uppgrading from an old intel core2 quad with 6gb of something like 244mhz ddr2 memory to a brand new intel core i7 6700k with 8 or 16 gb 2400 ddr4. I chose this perticular sett of ram modules because they were white and it fits with my white and blue theme. I'm allso buying a msi crait motherboard because of the colours and there are two variants i can choose from: either the "MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X, Socket-1151"

For 1600kr ($1 is about 10kr) wich has 2400mhz as a supported busclock. Or the "

MSI E3 KRAIT GAMING V5, Socket-1151"

for 1450kr 

this variant only has 2133mhz as the supported busclock.

this is pretty much the only difference I can find betwen these motherboards so if there is something I've missed (other than a couple of more usb ports and usb C on the more expensive version) please point it out.

but the main question is does the bussclock matter and will it work if i dont have the right busclock and from an overclocking perspective how important is ram speed?

The E3 Krait Gaming is a workstation/server motherboard, so you're not going to have much luck trying to overclock that unlocked i7 6700K. The Z170 motherboard is the obvious choice.

It makes sense that the Z170 supports higher RAM since it's the only chipset that can achieve those higher frequencies, whilst the E3 Krait only supports the JEDEC standard, which is 2133MHz. RAM can make a difference in CPU-intensive scenarios, such as giving you higher minimum and average framerates.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

The motherboard will down grade the clock speed on the ram if the ram is higher than the motherboard can handle.

if the clock on the ram is lower of that the motherboard has, it will stay at that speed. 

i suggest getting the board with the higher memory clock, and buying memory with either the same, or higher clock speed.

On 2016-07-25 at 1:15 AM, Angy said:

The motherboard will down grade the clock speed on the ram if the ram is higher than the motherboard can handle.

if the clock on the ram is lower of that the motherboard has, it will stay at that speed. 

i suggest getting the board with the higher memory clock, and buying memory with either the same, or higher clock speed.

So as I understand it the ram frequency can lower frequency to the speed the motherboard supports but the mothetboard can't change it's supported speeds?

10 minutes ago, legocarl08 said:

So as I understand it the ram frequency can lower frequency to the speed the motherboard supports but the mothetboard can't change it's supported speeds?

Get a z170 board, the e3 krait v5 will not work with the i7, and will not be able to overclock.

Most motherboards can support higher frequency ram speeds it justs isn't tested though, there will be options to clock your ram higher then the supported speeds within reason.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

On 2016-07-25 at 1:15 AM, HKZeroFive said:

The E3 Krait Gaming is a workstation/server motherboard, so you're not going to have much luck trying to overclock that unlocked i7 6700K. The Z170 motherboard is the obvious choice.

It makes sense that the Z170 supports higher RAM since it's the only chipset that can achieve those higher frequencies, whilst the E3 Krait only supports the JEDEC standard, which is 2133MHz. RAM can make a difference in CPU-intensive scenarios, such as giving you higher minimum and average framerates.

I understand that there is a difference between workstation/server boards and gaming boards but how is that obvious? the only other thing I could see was the chipset difference but it wasn't clear what that meant

Thanks btw I appreciate all the help i can get.

4 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

Get a z170 board, the e3 krait v5 will not work with the i7, and will not be able to overclock.

Most motherboards can support higher frequency ram speeds it justs isn't tested though, there will be options to clock your ram higher then the supported speeds within reason.

I'll buy the z170 but just wondering wont the e3 version work with the i7 at all? because I thought everything a processor and mobo needed to be compatible was the same chipset. 

allso if I theoreticly buy the e3 board with the 2400 memory will I be able to overclock the board to support a higher memory frequency?

38 minutes ago, legocarl08 said:

I'll buy the z170 but just wondering wont the e3 version work with the i7 at all? because I thought everything a processor and mobo needed to be compatible was the same chipset. 

allso if I theoreticly buy the e3 board with the 2400 memory will I be able to overclock the board to support a higher memory frequency?

Xeons and the "c" series chipsets are the only exceptions to that.

You should be able to run higher memory ram on the board most likely up to 3GHz, you will not see to any differences with higher ram speeds unless you are using the igpu, or doing benchmarks where you might see 1-2% improvement, and not all ram will be able to clock too much off of the stock frequencies.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

9 hours ago, legocarl08 said:

The motherboard will adjust to the RAM clock speed.